Breon Ansley is an American Bodybuilder, Olympia champ, and online fitness personality. He last competed in the Men’s Classic Physique division, and will soon be making the switch to the 212 division.
Breon Ansley is one of the most respected bodybuilders working today, and we’re about to find out why.
His commitment to his craft and his dedication both in and out of the gym has made him one of the most revered figures in the industry.
Today, we’re taking a deep dive into the Breon Ansley workout routine and diet.
- Breon’s philosophy features a high-volume and heavyweight style of training.
- His favorite muscle group to work is his back, which was incidentally his weakest muscle when he started training.
- Breon has always been very athletic, and his footballing background gave him a slight edge in terms of knowledge and strength when he transitioned to bodybuilding.
Who is Breon Ansley?
Breon Ansley is an IFBB Pro Bodybuilder, operating in California. He has primarily competed in the Men’s Classic Physique division, although, his tenure in that weight class has come to an end.
Breon Ansley will be making the move to the 212 division in 2023, as he has repeatedly expressed his difficulty in trying to get down to the weight class for the classic physique.
Breon Ansley has been athletic since his youth, participating in every sport under the sun. While his first love was football, Breon sporadically took part in tennis and swimming.
His passion for football even earned him a scholarship at Iowa State, where he played as a defensive end.
Despite not being the tallest, his strength and grit were enough to earn him a spot on his college team.
Perhaps, he’d be playing in the NFL had things not turned out differently. After a serious injury, he was forced to quit football and returned home to pursue acting.
After appearing in a few big commercials, Breon Ansley decided to use his knowledge of fitness and nutrition and began providing personal training services. It was here that he discovered the world of bodybuilding.
- Age: 43 years old
- DOB: November 13th, 1979
- Place of Birth: California, USA
- Bodybuilding Category: 212 (As of 2023), Classic Physique (Until 2022)
- Height: 5’7″ (170cm)
- Weight: 185-195 lbs (83.9-88.5 kg)
Breon Ansley Measurements
- Chest: 50 inches
- Arms: 19 inches
- Waist: 31 inches
Breon Ansley Workout Plan
Day 1: Back
Breon Ansley likes to begin his week with a back workout. For his back, he enjoys training in supersets as it allows him to maintain the intensity of his workouts. He lays emphasis on his upper lats, as this accentuates his v-taper.
Here’s what a back workout looks like for Breon Ansley:
- Lat Pull-down – 4 sets of 20 reps (30 reps on the last set)
- Row/Rear delt machine – 4 sets of 20 reps (30 reps on the last set)
- V-Bar Pulldown – 4 sets of 20 reps (30 reps on the last set)
- Seated Straight Bar Row – 4 sets of 20 reps (30 reps on the last set)
- Rack Pulls – 3 sets of 20 reps
- One-Arm Dumbbell Row – 3 sets of 20 reps
Stairmaster: 15 minutes.
Day 2: Chest and Delts
For chest and delts, Breon Ansley likes to push himself to failure or near-failure, as this allows him to place the optimal load on his upper body and facilitate hypertrophy. This is his chest and delt workout routine
- Barbell Incline Press – 5 sets
- Dumbbell Incline Press – 3 sets
- Machine Seated Chest Press – 2 sets
- Pec Deck/Machine Fly – 2 sets
- Dips – 1 set
- Dumbbell Side Lateral Raises – 1 set
Day 3: Arms
Breon is known for his famous alternating reps technique that he deploys on his arms. Instead of switching between arms after each rep, he prefers to perform 3 reps with one arm before moving to the other arm where he does the same. Here’s what arm day looks like for the Black Swan.
- Machine preacher curl: Warm-ups – 2 x 15, Working sets – 4 x 10-12
- Incline dumbbell curl 4 x 10-12
- EZ-bar curl (wide grip) 4 x 10-12 SUPERSET with EZ-bar curl (close grip) 4 x 10-12
- Dumbbell concentration curl 4 x 10-12
- EZ-bar reverse curl 4 x 10-12
- Rope push-downs: Warm-ups – 2 x 15-20, Working sets – 4 x 12-16
- Dumbbell skull crushers 4 x 12-16 SUPERSET with Dumbbell kickbacks 4 x 12-16
- Single arm overhead cable extension 4 x 12-16
Day 4: Legs
- Single-Leg Extensions – 3 x 6-10
- Lying Hamstring Curls – 3 x 6-8
- Smith Machine Squat – 3 x 5-9
- Bodyweight Bulgarian Split Squat – 3 x 9-15
- Sissy Squat Machine (Bodyweight) – 1×5
- Walking Lunges x Sissy Squat (Weighted) – 1 set
- Standing Calf Raises – 2 x 5-8
- Seated Calf Raises – 1×5
Breon Ansley Diet Plan
Breon Ansley usually eats a lower carb, high-fat diet, which gets even more rigorous in the weeks leading up to his stage appearances, as he eliminates carbs from his diet altogether to promote ketosis. However, he does consume healthy carbs during prep.
For his diet plan, Breon likes to divide his calories into five meals. All his meals are consumed after a 45-minute long fasted cardio session. Here’s what a full day of eating looks like for Breon Ansley.
Breon’s first meal of the day consists of only protein and fat. Here’s what he eats to kickstart his day:
- One cup of egg whites
- One whole egg
Breon’s second meal is the pre-workout meal that he consumes before heading to the gym. The protein in this meal keeps him full, while the carbs give him the energy boost he needs to maintain the intensity of his training sessions and pack on substantial size. Here’s what it looks like:
- 6 ounces of ground chicken
- One cup of jasmine rice
Breon’s post-workout meal, the third of his day, is similar to his second. He needs to replenish his muscles and energy levels after his intense training sessions. As such, he consumes:
- 6 ounces of diced chicken
- One cup of jasmine rice
Breon consumes his penultimate meal of the day rather late, at around 10:45 pm. Here, the bodybuilding champ eats:
- A few ounces of bison
- One cup of sweet potato
Breon’s last meal of the day consists of:
- One cup of veggies as a mixed green salad
- A few ounces of bison
Breon Ansley’s Favorite Supplements
Breon’s pre-workout supplement of choice is the Old School Labs Pre-workout Vintage Blast. It’s worth mentioning that Ansley is the brand ambassador of Old School Labs and is sponsored by them. He also likes Vintage Base, the multivitamin, as well as Vintage Build.
Breon Ansley Bodybuilding Career
- 2013 NPC USA Championships — Men’s Middleweight — First place
- 2014 IFBB New York Pro — 212 — 16th place
- 2014 IFBB Europa Phoenix — 212 — 15th place
- 2016 IFBB Prestige Crystal Cup — Classic Physique — 1st place
- 2016 IFBB Mr. Olympia — Classic Physique — 4th place
- 2017 IFBB New York Pro — Classic Physique — 1st place
- 2017 IFBB Mr. Olympia — Classic Physique — 1st place
- 2018 Arnold Sports Festival — Classic Physique — 1st place
- 2018 IFBB Mr. Olympia — Classic Physique — 1st place
- 2019 IFBB Yamamoto Cup Pro — Classic Physique — 1st place
- 2020 IFBB Mr. Olympia — Classic Physique — 3rd place
- 2021 IFBB Mr. Olympia — Classic Physique — 3rd place
- 2022 Arnold Classic — Classic Physique — 4th place
Despite his age, Breon Ansley is still one of the best, most complete bodybuilders around today. Radiant with positive vibes and a fresh training philosophy, it’s hard not to love him. With his move to the 212, we’re looking forward to seeing him crush the division and expect him to add a few more titles to his collection.
How many Olympias did Breon Ansley win?
Breon Ansley is a two-time Olympia champ.
Who won Cbum vs Breon?
Chris Bumstead and Breon Ansley have formed a formidable rivalry over the past few years. While they’re cordial when not competing and share a healthy, respectful relationship, things get heated on stage. 2022’s Mr. Olympia saw CBum come out on top, retaining his crown from 2021. Breon, on the hand, finished in 4th place.