Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
1morerep
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

Like Shorts said...is not for everybody. I did try and also try crossfit Football which I think (in my personal opinion) is a little bit better for my taste and likes. Probably because use heavier reps or dif exercise. But not judging on my side. I did try, didn't like it but respect who does.

540/385/515 (previous meet)

http://www.metalmilitia-va.com/

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go!!!

1MOREREP 2014
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Back in the day fitness, bodyweight strength, gymnastics (hand stands, etc) and Olympic lifts were actually a part of the muscle and strength building lifestyle.

These days all you hear is: "If I fart more than 5x a day will I become catabolic?"

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #13
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventySeven View Post
I have to be certified to destroy peoples joints?
No, you have to be certified for wanting to do crossfit

(to any crossfitter out there, j/k)
Old 04-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

"SO, you're saying that I should take extremely techincal movements that were chosen as a TEST of strength and really don't do much to improve strength (The clean and snatch) and I should do them after I'm really tired from running around and doing random weird crap you guys come up with on the fly?"

"And I'm paying you HOW MUCH for this?"

Sounds certifiable to me.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
"SO, you're saying that I should take extremely techincal movements that were chosen as a TEST of strength and really don't do much to improve strength (The clean and snatch)
I don't see how this is true, just like any other movement used you have to build strength with that movement to get better. Olympic lifters use these lifts constantly and they continue to get stronger all around, unless I am missing something?

Also, have you ever incorporated cleans into programming? They tend to help improve the deadlift as you get stronger with them.

Now, CrossFit isn't for everyone as every individual is unique. I am definitely not saying it is the end all be all program, because it isn't. But it has its place and it has teachers that know what they are talking about as seen by some of the competitors that take it seriously.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #16
gothamsreckoning
New Brawn
Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2.5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: Mixed Greens
gothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good posts

You should start a Crossfit Gym solely to build and enjoy female ass.
gothamsreckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventySeven View Post
I have to be certified to destroy peoples joints?
Be careful now, most bodybuilders have horrible form.

Just keeping it real my friend.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #18
KCStrongmanben
TEAM MAB
Max Brawn
Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
KCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
While a lot of people that join the crossfit community are lead in the wrong direction by mismanaged gym's and trainers that aren't reputable, you will have this in every community. I know crossfit, like powerlifting or bodybuilding isn't for everyone, but it has its place. I believe in trying something before judging it ... plus most people don't see that CrossFit, when done right, leads to stuff like this:

I'm sorry but CrossFit does not produce strength athletes. I'd go so far to say that most of the strongest crossfitters had a high level of strength before coming into it. And all of those guys specialize in strength training which sort of goes against the CrossFit creed of not specializing no?
Muscle and Brawn
KCStrongmanben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #19
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Crossfit is strongman for the weak.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #20
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStrongmanben View Post
I'm sorry but CrossFit does not produce strength athletes. I'd go so far to say that most of the strongest crossfitters had a high level of strength before coming into it. And all of those guys specialize in strength training which sort of goes against the CrossFit creed of not specializing no?
Well if you go by that route, should any athlete that has years training prior to entering the realm of powerlifting, strongman, or bodybuilding be considered not to have been a strength athlete produced by that method? Because I would say 90% of people enter into those methods after they have had exposure to a different training and established a foundation.

Additionally, those videos are not people that specialize in strength training, where did you come to that conclusion? They follow a method that is based off three parts, barbell gymnastics (a strength portion), skill work (focusing on movements and efficiency), and conditioning (a crossfit based training). That is not specializing, I believe that is a well rounded method. But do I believe in whatever the CrossFit creed is? No, I honestly couldn't tell you about it, but I know the methodology works.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote