Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) is found in all living cells – and is vital for Redox reactions… Yeah I dunno what that means either. Translation?
Essentially, NAD levels need to remain high to ensure cell metabolism remains perfect, as it will help turn nutrients into energy. It is also important for other proteins that regulate other cellular functions.
Without NAD your muscles couldn’t contract, and your heart would be left cold.
Just like my ex’s. (I know you read these articles, Jessica)
There are also who say it is amazing for delaying the aging process and DNA repair.
Let’s see what’s what
- NAD+ is an essential coenzyme in the body vital for human health
- As we age, NAD levels will begin to lower leading to some health concerns
- Supplementing with NAD has been shown to lower the risk of cardiovascular and age-related diseases
What is NAD+?
Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide or (NAD) is a essential coenzyme that is vital to human life and located in all the living cells. Human clinical trials show that having NAD levels that are too low could lead to :
- Increased blood pressure
- Low energy
- Decrease in human skeletal muscle
- Potentially even cardiovascular disease.
Because NAD is found in the entire body, it is really hard to list everything it does. However, it is easier to explain what happens when NAD levels drop. NAD+ is found in two forms within the body: NAD and NADH.
As NAD levels drop there will be age related changes, basically, you seem to age faster. This is due to your energy production and metabolism now being slightly altered. Accelerated aging isn’t something most people would want, and so many will opt to use a NAD supplement to combat this.
How Does NAD+ Work?
First off, the supplement for NAD+ has been studied extensively, and results vary widely. Before we look at the results, let’s do a deep dive into the long list of what this compound does in the body :
- Important for cardiovascular health and studies show that low levels of NAD could lead to an inability to break down adipose tissue, poor mitochondrial function, and increased blood pressure
- The NAD Anti Aging argument is pretty spot on. Studies show that NAD levels were directly correlated with new cell growth, cellular metabolism, fixing DNA damage, and even offsets decreased cognitive function due to aging [1, 2]
- Allows for energy production as both NAD and NADH play a vital role in the ATP production cycle. Improving this could lead to greater fat loss and muscle gain, and research show those are two of the biggest things you can do to lower metabolic stress and improve healthy aging. Figure below shows that ATP drops with age, and this can be offset with NAD supplements 
- Proper mitochondrial function is the biggest thing that NAD is important for. Having NAD homeostasis could keep the mitochondrial function up to par, avoiding DNA damage, poor energy metabolism, metabolic disorders, loss of skeletal muscle, and cancer risk in general
If it isn’t coming across just how important NAD levels are, let’s reiterate. Whether your goal is anti agin, growing muscle, or just overall health, NAD is vital.
Benefits of NAD+ Supplements
The biggest benefit of NAD is improved mitochondrial function, which will literally influence every single part of your body. That said, let’s look at some of the individual benefits that research shows:
- Improved energy production and energy metabolism leading to less adipose tissue and more skeletal muscle
- Reduced age dependent decline of cognitive function, muscle function, and heart health
- Decreased risk of heart disease and other metabolic disorders
- Great effect on blood cholesterol and systolic blood pressure
Overall, the biggest benefit is healthy aging. As we age there is a reduction in NAD levels and this can be detrimental to the entire human body. It is theorized that combatting depleted NAD levels is one of the best things you can do to fight age related diseases .
Who Should Use NAD+?
- Those who are aging and want to remain as healthy as possible
- Those who spend a lot of time exercising or athletes
- People who are exposed to external, dangerous compounds (miners, X-Ray doctors, etc)
- People who suffer from poor immune function
- Those who live with high levels of stress
- Those who cannot follow a healthy diet or exercise due to work
- Anyone suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, blood brain barrier illnesses or age related diseases
Dosage and Timing of NAD+?
You should ideally follow the dose recommended by your health practitioner or the manufacturer, which most likely will be between 100 – 1250mg per day (a large range, so be careful).
There isn’t technically a best time of the day to use it, however, some argue they feel the health benefits more when taking it around noon.
What are the side effects of NAD+?
While there are few side effects when using NAD+ at a low dose, there are some side effects:
- Brain fog
Where Can I Buy NAD+?
NAD vs Glutathione
Glutathione is an antioxidant found in the body that also plays a big role in anti aging, but is more focused on health in general. If you are looking for the best results, some studies suggest using both together might work better for the aging cell.
NAD vs NAC
NAC is a precursor to Glutathione, but also has a host of functions in cellular metabolism. Both are needed to produce energy and would be beneficial for someone engaged in high intensity interval training, or just an aging person. Again, better used together when looking at reversing aging.
How can I increase my NAD+ naturally?
- Exercise regularely
- Follow a healthy diet that is balanced
- Sleep more than 8 hours per night
- Try and destress your life as much as possible
- Try to make your blood vessels as clear as possible (lower your blood pressure and cholesterol)
Conclusion: Does NAD+ Really Work?
Absolutely, there is no debate about it. In fact, professional medical advice clearly states you would do great by keeping levels of NAD nice and high. You will see a ton of health benefits, reduction in illness, better mitochondrial metabolism, and overall better health.
NAD Supplements do work as anti aging supplements, however, your best bet to improve cellular processes is to live as healthy as possible while using both NAD+ and Glutathione.
NAD Supplements and Fertility
There are some studies that do show NAD supplements can help with maintaining female fertility, however, future clinical trials will give us more clarity. It will reduce oxidative stress in the human body, which could help with fertility.
NAD Supplements and Covid
A 2022 study investigated NAD supplements and the effects Covid has on the human body. Their conclusion states “Mechanically, we found that NAD+ or NMN supplementation partially rescued the disturbed gene expression and metabolism caused by SARS-CoV-2 infection. Thus, our in vivo mouse study supports trials for treating COVID-19 patients by targeting the NAD+ pathway”.
Does NAD+ work orally?
A lot of supplements will have you take NAD orally, which has been shown to work. That said, the half-life isn’t very long, and some argue that IV treatments are better.
Can I take too much NAD+?
Yes, if you do, you would need to go to the hospital ASAP.
What foods are high in NAD?
Whole grain, fish, milk, green veggies, and yeast.