Unfortunately, chronic joint pain and inflammation are not uncommon and can be caused by a number of different factors, including arthritis and general wear and tear. They can be particularly troublesome for people who engage in athletic activities, such as running. If you’re a runner will be something you’re already familiar with; runners are particularly likely to experience pain or discomfort in the hip, knee, ankle and foot, although it can occur in any joint in the body.
Painkillers, such as paracetamol, tend to be the first choice when attempting to manage running-related persistent joint pain, and whilst these will help to reduce some discomfort, they won’t improve joint function or joint health itself. This is where supplements come in.
Supplements for joint pain are an excellent solution, and unlike pain relievers, selecting a high-quality supplement with clinically proven formulas, such as Physio Flex Pro, can not only result in hugely reduced joint pain and inflammation, but also improve joint stiffness and promote joint health, mobility and flexibility. All this means that with the right supplements, sufferers of joint pain can be back on the track in no time.
So, How do Joint Supplements Work?
Depending on their ingredients, joint supplements can work in a variety of different ways. However, the more potent and dependable options relieve pain by stimulating the repair and regeneration of connective tissues and restoring shock-absorbing fluids between joints.
Beyond this, they also work to promote bone building cells, known as osteoblasts, inhibit bone destroying cells (osteoclasts), and suppress the enzymes that damage connective tissues. This clever combination of targeted treatments means joint supplements are able to not only substantially relieve pain and discomfort, but also assist in the maintenance of healthy, well-functioning joints, which is crucial for runners.
What are the Benefits of Joint Supplements?
The primary benefit of joint supplements is of course relief from chronic joint pain and inflammation. However, enhanced mobility, improved long term joint health and increased flexibility and bone strength can all also be expected as result of taking joint supplements, particularly from taking one that contains many of the ingredients that we’ll discuss next.
What are the Most Important Ingredients in Joint Supplements?
Often, individual substances can be beneficial for some people, but of course, as they are just one ingredient, their potential effectiveness is limited. For this reason, comprehensive, multi-ingredient joint stack supplements may be even more successful.
First, there are three important ingredients that should be included in any high-quality joint supplement.
One of the most beneficial ingredients, glucosamine has been shown to support cells which maintain and heal cartilage. There are many tissues in the body that are key in maintaining joint health and function, and this amino sugar is an essential structural component of all of them, as well as the proteins that make up connective tissues like tendons and ligaments.
Glucosamine is also am important component of synovial fluid, which surrounds and cushions the joints. If plenty of glucosamine is available it promotes more of this protective fluid, improving the body’s ability to absorb impact. (1)
Another particularly impressive molecule that works to hold together cartilage and improve shock absorption, as well as promoting repair and healing. This helps reduce stress on your ankles as you run.
Glucosamine and chondroitin are a potent pairing, and a high-quality joint supplement should contain them both. They work in synergy to prevent inflammation in synovial cells, and therefore promote joint healing and joint health. (2)
A key component that makes up both glucosamine and chondroitin, MSM is a crucial part of all connective tissue. Short for Methylsulfonylmethane, it helps to slow down the erosion of cartilage and promote regeneration instead.
In one study in people over 50, MSM decreased inflammation of joints as well as pain and stiffness. The control group also reported an overall better quality of life. (3)
Other Great Ingredients to Look For
- Curcumin: This one may sound familiar; that’s because it’s actually naturally occurring in turmeric. This powerful anti-inflammatory works by suppressing inflammatory enzymes and therefore relieving joint pain.
- Selenium: Also an anti-inflammatory, selenium has significant impacts on long term joint health, with the added bonus of aiding healthy thyroid function and promoting a strong immune system.
- Ginger: Having been used for many years in traditional medicine, ginger root is actually extremely effective in improving joint discomfort and preventing both tendonitis and the erosion of cartilage, both of which can occur as a result of running regularly.
- Bromelain: Newer to the scene of joint supplements, but no less effective, non-toxic bromelain is naturally occurring in pineapples and is increasingly being shown to greatly reduce pain, inflammation and swelling around joints, sometimes even more so than painkillers.
- Boswellia Serrata: Promotes optimal, long term joint health. Particularly good at suppressing enzymes that destroy cartilage and connective tissue over time, and working to strengthen these instead.
- EPA/DHA/ALA: The three main Omega-3 fatty acids, all efficient in reducing systematic inflammation and lubricating joints which promotes resilience and flexibility.
- Garlic: By limiting the effects of cytokines, garlic protects from damage to connective tissues from inflammation which notably reduces joint pain whilst fighting off any further damage.
What’s the best joint supplement for runners overall?
If you’re a runner experiencing joint pain or inflammation, joint supplements may well be an excellent choice for you. In order to get the most out of your supplements, it’s a good idea to opt for one with natural ingredients, and look out for key ingredients such as glucosamine, MSM, and chondroitin.
Physio Flex Pro ticks both of these boxes; in fact, it contains all three of the ingredients that we identified as the most important, and the first five of the additional effective ingredients. All of that, and for an excellent price!
Created by specialists in physiotherapy and orthopaedic surgeons, its formula has been specifically designed to meet the needs of athletes at every level who want to reduce the risk of injury as well as speed up recovery. It has no serious side effects or long term risks, and has been purposefully designed for easy digestion.
Are there any side effects?
Joint supplements tend to be safe, particularly those with natural ingredients, such as Physio Flex Pro. However, it’s important to always check with your doctor, particularly if you have any concerns.
Find out more about Physio Flex Pro, here.
Skip to Section