Type 1 diabetes is a chronic condition caused by the inability of the pancreas to produce insulin. Insulin is the hormone that controls the production of energy by regulating the amount of sugar, in the form of glucose, which enters the cells of the body. Also known as infantile/juvenile diabetes because it mostly appears during childhood, the disease has no known cure despite several years of research dedicated to finding a cure.
Therefore, at the moment, treatment is limited to managing the disease through proper dieting, lifestyle change, and the use of food supplements like vitamins where necessary. These treatment methods are aimed at managing the blood sugar levels with insulin as the main target.
Vitamins and supplements can only aid your body in the treatment of Type 1 Diabetes. We always recommend you follow your doctor’s advice before trying any of these supplements.
5 Best Vitamins for Type 1 Diabetics
Best Vitamin and Supplement Combo – Performance Lab Energy
Energy by Performance Lab is designed to provide superior mitochondrial support for cell energy and vitality. Whether you’re looking to improve your overall energy or boost your athletic performance Performance Lab® Energy can help.
Performance Lab® Energy sets itself apart from other energy supplements through not relying on caffeine for creating an energy boost. Rather, this product is made with MicroActive® Q10, BioPerine®, BioPQQ® and Bio-Enhanced® nutrition technology which work together to provide the ultimate non-stimulant boost. Along with its superior ingredients, this supplement is vegan friendly and also free of additives and allergens.
Energy is prebiotic-infused and comes in 100% plant-based NutriCaps®. Adults should take 1-2 capsules in the morning and 1-2 in the early afternoon as needed. Adults may also take one serving 45-60 minutes pre-workout.
Performance Lab® is an innovative line of supplements produced by Opti Nutra Advanced Nutraceuticals that was designed to support human performance and promote all-around health. This line of supplements has revolutionized performance nutrition through the use of branded ingredients, advanced nutritional technologies, and a plant-based, eco-friendly approach.
Performance Lab® provides a wide range of supplements which target key areas of health including sleep, vision, cognition, and energy and is best known for producing the world’s first vegan softgels and the first vegan protein powder to build muscle as effectively as whey protein.
Best Vitamin B Complex – Transparent Labs
Vitamin B Complex by Transparent Labs contains 8 water-soluble nutrients that play a vital part in every cell of your body along with Vitamin C, Inositol, and Choline Bitartrate. These major nutrients work hand-in-hand to keep your natural energy levels in check and promote better metabolism.
The major vitamins and nutrients in this product that are essential to managing the health of Type 1 diabetics include:
- Vitamin B1: Aids the breakdown of carbohydrates.
- Vitamin B2 – Aids the metabolism of carbohydrates, protein, and fat.
- Vitamin B3 – Aids the metabolism of carbohydrates, fat, and alcohol.
- Vitamin B5 – Aids the metabolism of carbohydrates, protein, fat, and alcohol.
- Vitamin B6 – Aids the metabolism of carbohydrates and protein.
- Vitamin B7 – Required for energy metabolism, fat synthesis, amino acid metabolism and glycogen synthesis.
- Vitamin B9 – Aids the formation of red blood cells.
- Vitamin B12 – Aids red blood cell formation and the breakdown of some fatty acids and amino acids.
- Vitamin C – Lowers elevated blood sugar levels and reduces blood sugar spikes after eating.
- Inositol – Used to improve glycemic control and has demonstrated effectiveness in lowering both fasting blood glucose and HbA1c levels.
- Choline Bitartrate – Required by the body for metabolism and fat transport.
Best Blood-Based – Rootine
Rootine offers a highly-personalized multivitamin through the use of a 3-step testing process that consists of an online questionnaire, a DNA test, and a blood test. Based upon the results of these 3 tests, Rootine will design a formulation containing specific dosages of 18 key vitamins. This is essential for meeting the specific nutrient needs of Type 1 diabetics.
This personalized multivitamin comes in the form of slow-release microbeads that provide maximum absorption and the most accurate dose measurement. Microbeads are easy to take and can even be added into your drink or meal of choice.
Vitamins included in Rootine’s vitamin packs that are essential to managing the health of Type 1 diabetics include:
- ALA – A mitochondrial compound involved in energy metabolism.
- CoQ10 – An important antioxidant that helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
- Manganese – Helps increase insulin secretion and improve glucose metabolism.
- Magnesium – An essential component of more than 300 enzymes and is crucial for metabolism.
- Vitamin B6 – Helps regulate blood glucose levels and insulin release.
- Vitamin B12 – Helps regulate blood glucose levels and insulin release
- Vitamin C – Lowers elevated blood sugar levels and reduces blood sugar spikes after eating.
- Vitamin D3 – Helps improve the body’s sensitivity to insulin and reduce the risk of insulin resistance.
- Vitamin E – Improves glycemic control.
- Zinc – Improves glucose levels.
Best Glucose Disposal Agent (GDA) – Berberine Pure + by Nuzena
Berberine is a bioactive compound extracted from several different plants and is recognized as one of the most effective natural supplements available for the treatment of type 1 diabetes. Berberine plays a huge role in lowering blood sugar, enhancing weight loss, and improving heart health.
Numerous studies have displayed berberine’s role in helping to manage type 1 diabetes through its ability to decrease insulin resistance and increase glycolysis, thus helping the body to break down sugar and use it more effectively.
Adults should take 2 capsules of Berberine Pure + once a day, preferably 20-30 min prior to eating.
Best Personalized – Persona
Persona Nutrition provides Type 1 diabetics with their own personalized, monthly subscription vitamin pack to best meet their specific health needs.
In order to best customize individual vitamin packs, customers should initially complete a quick assessment on Persona’s website to receive personalized, science-backed supplement
recommendations. Specific questions on this assessment gather information on specific types of diets, allergies and food sensitivities, health conditions, medication use, and more.
Alternatively, customers may also use the option to filter vitamins by certain health needs on the products page.
The following products offered by Persona are specifically tailored to meet the needs of Type 1 diabetics:
- Blood Sugar Balance – Contains benfotiamine and supports glucose metabolism.
- Appetite Support – Contains the patented weight loss ingredients of NeOpuntia®, Phase 2® Carb Controller™, and GymnaHerb® which have been shown to balance blood sugar and reduce cravings.
- Chromium Picolinate – Supports normal blood sugar levels by enhancing the action of insulin and is directly involved in the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats, and protein.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid – A powerful antioxidant that has been shown to help support blood sugar metabolism.
- Olive Leaf – Olive leaves contain high amounts of oleuropein which has been shown to help blood sugar levels.
Muscle + Brawn Readers Get An Exclusive 40% off Their Orders By Using Our Link Below
What Causes Type 1 Diabetes?
There is no known exact cause of type 1 diabetes. It is thought that the body’s defense mechanism erroneously attacks the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas effectively destroying the body’s ability to make insulin.
Viruses, environmental factors, and genetics are also three other likely causes of the disease.
What Are The Symptoms of Type 1 Diabetes?
- Sudden onset of bed-wetting in kids
- Increased hunger and thirst
- Urinating frequently
- Unexplained weight loss
- Changes in mood and easily irritable
- Weakness and tendency to get tired easily
- Impaired/blurred vision
Vitamins For Type 1 Diabetes
Vitamin C – Possibly due to the high blood sugar (glucose) levels, people with diabetes usually have a lower than average levels of vitamin C. This vitamin is necessary to help regulate blood glucose and lipid levels.
Biotin – Biotin is sometimes classified under vitamin B or even called vitamin H. It works with insulin on one hand, and alone, on the other hand, for efficient utilization of glucose in the body through the enzyme glucokinase.
Diabetics tend to have low glucokinase levels. Biotin helps to increase it.
Vitamin E – Some of the common complications of diabetes include damage to the kidney, eye, and heart. Supplements containing this vitamin may help to prevent this damage.
Vitamin D – Research shows that type 1 diabetics have lower than usual levels of vitamin D. Supplements containing it would improve the use of glucose in the body and enhance bone health.
For type 1 diabetics, it is advisable to eat a rich, varied, natural diet. These are very good sources of vitamins that are critical to maintaining good health. However, the above review of Best Vitamins For Diabetics Type 1 is excellent in providing appropriate support for nutrients that might be missing from your diet.
But before introducing any new vitamins for your type 1 diabetes, it is recommended that you consult your physician for professional advice. You would need to be tested to ensure that the right medication /supplement is prescribed.
In the final analysis though, if you are suffering from type 1 diabetes, the vitamins you decide to stick to might ultimately depend on how your body reacts to the specific vitamins, minerals, and the other ingredients in the product.
Skip to Section