Men over 40 are at a higher risk of developing nutrient deficiencies due to major lifestyle changes, age-related health concerns, and dietary modifications. Men who do not consume enough of the right vitamins and minerals place themselves at a higher risk of developing conditions such as osteoporosis or heart disease and may experience low testosterone and issues related to prostate enlargement.
In this article, we’ll review the 5 best multivitamins for men over 40 and discuss each of the nutrients they contain along with how they improve the health of men. We’ll also take a closer look at the specific vitamins and minerals required by men to maintain proper health and discuss which supplements are most beneficial for them to take.
TL;DR: What Is The Best Multivitamin For Men Over 40?
- Essential for Men by Ritual is the best multivitamin for men over 40. This clinical-backed multivitamin contains 10 traceable nutrients and is available in 2 versions for men: 18+ and 50+.
- NutriGenesis® Multi by Performance Lab is the best multivitamin for men’s bodybuilding. It provides men with 100%+ DV of over 17 essential nutrients that are crucial to peak performance and recovery.
- Persona offers the best custom multivitamin for men through the use of its online lifestyle questionnaire. Men may also include their own add-in options for further customization.
- Rootine offers the best blood-based multivitamin for men. Each vitamin pack is tailored to the specific nutrient needs of each man based upon results from DNA and blood tests along with information obtained from the online lifestyle quiz.
- Essential For Vegans by Future Kind is the best vegan multivitamin for men. It contains the three major nutrients that most vegans and vegetarians are deficient in- Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, and Omega-3.
Comparison Of The 5 Best Multivitamins for Men Over 40
Essential for Men
Essential for Men
This multivitamin - developed by Harvard-trained scientists - helps men meet their nutritional needs and fill in any gaps within their diet.
This multivitamin contains over 17 essential daily vitamins and minerals that are specifically formulated for men.
This multivitamin pack is custom-tailored to men's unique health needs through the use of a highly-detailed online questionnaire.
This custom vitamin pack takes into account your DNA, blood levels, and lifestyle habits to make sure that you only take the vitamins you need.
Essential for Vegans
Essential for Vegans
Future Kind has identified the three key nutrients that vegans are most commonly deficient in and has removed everything else that is non-essential.
Ritual offers 2 multivitamins for men under its Essential for Men collection. Both forms of Essential for Men contain the following key ingredients:
- Omega-3 DHA
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin K2
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin E
Essential for Men and Essential for Men 50+ share the same ingredients, but varying dosages for five nutrients. Essential for Men 50+ has a higher concentration of vitamins B12, E, K2, folate, and magnesium since men in this age range usually do not consume enough of these nutrients from their diets or their absorption of these nutrients is affected by lifestyle, genetic factors, or medications.
The NutriGenesis® Multi is an ultramodern multivitamin designed to improve overall health and aid human performance. This multivitamin product contains over 17 essential daily vitamins and minerals and has two separate formulations for men and women.
NutriGenesis® Multi is made with whole-food cofactors to aid absorption and is encapsulated in NutriCaps® to promote digestive comfort. The design of this multivitamin product supports healthy cell performance across all body systems leading to better overall health.
The male formulation of NutriGenesis® Multi contains higher amounts of zinc and potassium to balance testosterone levels, support a healthy prostate, and maintain normal blood pressure.
Persona Nutrition provides men with their own personalized, monthly subscription vitamin pack to best meet their specific health needs.
In order to best customize individual vitamin packs, men should initially complete a quick assessment on Persona’s website to receive personalized, science-backed supplement
recommendations. Specific questions on this assessment gather information on specific types of diets, allergies and food sensitives, health conditions, medication use, and more.
Alternatively, men may also use the option to filter vitamins by certain health needs on the products page. Products that are specifically offered as ingredients tailored to men’s health include those such as Ashwagandha, Lycopene, Prostate Support, and selenium.
All vitamins and supplements offered by Persona adhere to FDA certified Good Manufacturing Practices and several of the ingredients included within its vitamin packs are trademarked, providing customers with greater transparency and trust.
Muscle + Brawn Readers Get An Exclusive 40% off Their Orders By Using Our Link Below
Rootine is the only vitamin complex that is created based on your DNA, blood nutrient info, and lifestyle habits.
While most vitamin supplements are made for an average human, these vitamins are totally personalized. They are made to order with exact dosages exactly for you.
What can a personalized Rootine sachet contain?
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D3
- Alpha Lipoic Acid
- Folic Acid
- Vitamin E
- Magnesium 16. MSM
- CoEnzyme Q10
Future Kind has developed the premier multivitamin for men who consume a plant-based diet.
Essential for Vegans contains the three major nutrients that most vegans and vegetarians are deficient in- Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, and Omega-3
This multivitamin supports the health of men through promoting better energy, boosting their immune systems, as well as supporting their overall mood and cognition.
Better yet, Essential for Vegans sources its omega-3 from pollutant-free algae and its vitamin D3 from lichen to provide women with a 100% cruelty-free supplement.
Men should take 2 softgels of Essential for Vegans daily, preferably with food. Each daily serving provides women with 400mcg of B12, 650 mg of algal omega 3 oil, and 50mcg of Vitamin D3.
Muscle + Brawn Readers Get 10% off Their Orders With Coupon Code: BEKIND10
Best Vitamins For Men Over 40
Men over 40 should make sure to consume enough of the right vitamins and minerals to improve their overall health and support male-specific health concerns.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the best vitamins and minerals for men’s fertility, prostate health, joint health, and heart health.
Best Vitamins For Male Fertility
The following vitamins and minerals are essential for improving fertility and promoting healthy sexual function in men over 40:
- Vitamin C – Essential antioxidant that’s required for the health and maintenance of sperm; It has been shown to increase sperm count, motility, and morphology and may increase fertility in infertile men who are affected by oxidative stress.
- Vitamin E – Essential antioxidant that protects sperm from oxidative damage; Has been shown to improve sperm motility.
- Vitamin D – Required for male reproduction and testosterone support; Has been shown to improves sperm motility and it also increases free testosterone levels while reducing the conversion of testosterone into oestrogen.
- Selenium – Serves as an antioxidant and has been shown to increase sperm motility.
- Zinc – Required for sperm formation and testosterone metabolism; It has been shown to increase testosterone levels and also improve both sperm count, and sperm motility; Men who have a zinc deficiency are at an increased risk for developing impotence and hypogonadism.
- Folic Acid – Required for DNA synthesis and is essential for having a healthy sperm count and sperm motility.
- Magnesium – Essential for testosterone production and also improves overall sleep quality.
- Boron – Has been shown to increase testosterone levels while decreasing the presence of estrogen.
- Vitamin K1 – Enhances the absorption of Vitamin D which is required for maintaining healthy testosterone levels.
- Vitamin K2- Helps regulate testosterone production and the circulation of free testosterone.
- Vitamin B6 – Required for the testosterone production process.
Vitamins For Prostate
The best vitamins and minerals that men over 40 can take to maintain a healthy prostate and support urinary flow include vitamin C, vitamin D, and zinc. These nutrients protect against the enlargement of the prostate, suppress tumor growth, and ease urinary symptoms associated with prostate-related conditions.
Vitamins For Bone Health
There are several vitamins that men over 40 should ensure to include within their diet in order to have healthy, strong bones. Vitamin D3 aids the body’s absorption of calcium and phosphorus which in turn strengthens bones and aids the overall skeletal structure. Vitamin K2 is essential in calcium metabolism and directs its absorption to the bones. Additionally, it helps prevent the deterioration of bones associated with osteopenia.
In addition to these key vitamins, minerals including calcium, magnesium, and boron are also crucial for bone health in men above 40. Calcium serves as the major component of bones whereas magnesium and boron serve as calcium-helper nutrients that aid its absorption and assist bone formation.
Vitamins For Heart Health
There are several antioxidants and electrolytes that support the heart health of men 40 and older. Antioxidants including vitamins A, C, E, beta-carotene, selenium, and zinc fight against free radicals and protect the heart from atherosclerosis. The electrolytes of potassium and magnesium help maintain normal cardiovascular function and also support both the relaxation and dilation of vascular and arterial walls.
Additional nutrients that provide heart health support include vitamins B3 and K2. Vitamin B3 is best known for its role in managing cholesterol levels whereas vitamin K2 facilitates normal blood clotting and prevents calcification from occurring in the arteries
Best Supplements For Men Over 40
Some men may require additional nutrient support in order to treat their specific health concerns. We will now review the best supplements for men over 40 that support prostate and urinary health, improve cardiovascular function, and provide support for bones and joints.
Best Prostate Supplements
Men over 40 should consider using saw palmetto, pumpkin seed oil, or pygeum to support overall prostate health and improve urinary flow. Saw palmetto and pumpkin seed oil have been verified in clinical studies to prevent prostate enlargement and also ease urinary difficulty associated with having an enlarged prostate. Pygeum has been used to reduce urination frequency and urinary incontinence.
Heart Health Supplements
As men age, they may experience issues with blood flow or clogged arteries. Unfortunately, heart disease is a major killer of men 40 and older so it’s crucial for men to take all precautions when it comes to their heart health.
Men who are looking to improve their cardiovascular health should consider taking the following supplements:
- Astaxanthin – This chemical compound is naturally found within various plants and animals and provides support for cardiovascular health by lowering LDL cholesterol and increasing HDL cholesterol.
- Pine Bark Extract (Pycnogenol) – This extract helps to reduce blood pressure and also increases blood flow.
- Garlic – The extract of this traditional seasoning in cooking helps men maintain normal cholesterol and blood pressure. The main components in garlic help reduce the synthesis of cholesterol and also dissolve blood clots.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – The fatty acids of EPA and DHA provide numerous cardiovascular health benefits which include a reduction in blood pressure and production of triglycerides, maintenance of heart rhythm stability, and increased blood circulation and blood vessel flexibility.
- Coenzyme Q10 – This antioxidant produces energy for the heart and provides support for men who take cholesterol-lowering medications since they have significantly lower levels of CoQ10.
Bone And Joint Health Supplements
Many men over the age of 40 experience joint pain and bone deterioration. Thankfully, there are several naturally-derived supplements that provide support for both bone and joint health.
The following supplements have been clinically-demonstrated to reduce joint pain and help protect against bone loss:
- Glucosamine – This amino sugar naturally occurs within the fluid surrounding the joints and acts as a cushion to help maintain healthy joints. It also helps reduce the natural loss of cartilage that comes along with aging and aids the formation of connective tissues.
- Chondroitin – This is a building block of cartilage that helps fight against cartilage deterioration associated with aging while supporting collagen production.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – This type of fatty acid has been associated with a reduction in exercise-related soreness and stiffness and has also been shown to help maintain bone mineral density.
- Boswellia – This herbal extract supports bone and joint health through blocking enzymes that destroy cartilage and weaken connective tissues. It also provides support for flexion and enhances athletic performance.
- Curcumin – This component of turmeric is known for its antioxidant properties that reduce inflammation and protect cartilage and connective tissues from harmful enzymes. It also supports collagen synthesis and aids overall function.
- MSM – This nutrient is required for the formation and maintenance of collagen, glucosamine, chondroitin, and provides support for cartilage and connective tissues.
Bonus: 4 Ways to Build Muscle Over The Age of 40
Scientifically speaking, there should be very little difference between building muscle in your early 30s and building muscle in your 40s. Yes, your testosterone levels may have dropped slightly, and you may have lost a bit of muscle over the years, but the difference should be too small to notice.
Testosterone and Lifting
When it comes to building muscle, testosterone is one of the biggest components. It’s required to stimulate protein synthesis, which is how your muscles recover, repair, and rebuild after a workout. The more protein synthesis that occurs, the more you’re able to train, the quicker you’ll recover and the bigger your muscles will grow.
As we age, our testosterone levels will naturally begin to drop. There are many causes of this, and all men will be affected differently. Luckily, there are several ways to maintain your testosterone levels and keep them as high as possible, despite the ageing process.
Exercise itself will help boost testosterone, but also: making an effort to reduce stress, sleeping more, eating a diet that contains lots of healthy fats; and losing body fat. Cutting alcohol will also help.
However, unless your drinking is out of hand, you should still be able to have a few beers with your friends on the weekend and hang onto your muscle mass. Fact: Arnold Schwarzenegger also drank beer in the off-season.
Once you start making changes to your diet and lifestyle your testosterone levels will rise, which will help you to level the playing field against 20 and 30 year olds.
What Program Should I Follow?
Technically, you could follow any program and get results – provided that you’re consistent and that your lifestyle and diet match your goals. People get too hung up on finding the perfect program. However, a good basic program recommend for a man in their 40s (who wants to build muscle) is a full-body program for 3-4 days per week.
Lots of compound movements such as: deadlifts, squats, bench presses, rows, and the overhead press will give you a spike in testosterone. Though if you’re a complete beginner you may want to start off with some easier exercises. I.e. push ups instead of bench press, or/and bodyweight squats until you’ve built up sufficient strength to do the more hardcore compound movements.
Deadlifting is an essential exercise, as it can help protect your lower back in later years (provided that your technique is sound). Hiring a coach to teach you to deadlift properly is probably the best investment you’ll ever make. Though if you can’t afford a coach, learning the kettlebell deadlift first is a good starting point.
Avoid bodybuilder-style workouts, these are designed for men who are often on steroids (or younger men who have genetically high testosterone levels). At 40 years old, you’re unlikely to have the recovery levels to match their high volume workouts. Thus following such routines may mean you’re not able to recover between sessions.
What Diet Should I Follow?
One thing that occurs as we age is a slow decline in our ability to maintain muscle, this is possibly due to humans being less able to use leucine as they age. Leucine is an amino acid, essential for building muscle. Luckily it can be found in most dietary protein.
This is a roundabout way of saying that as you age you should look to increase your protein intake; you may also consider leucine supplementation (though dietary changes would be more beneficial).
One main reason why men in their 40s struggle to build muscle compared to college kids, is a lack of time to exercise and lift weights. When you’re in your 40s, your career is often at its peak, meaning more time spent working and less time for a social life. Add in family, either elderly parents who may need extra help, or a partner, kids (or both) and suddenly the amount of time available for training is reduced.
Use this time wisely. Prioritize it. Don’t feel guilty about including a few weekly gym visits over family time. Your family will thank you when you’re fit, healthy, and mobile in your sixties and seventies.
Skip to Section