BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 10,419, Level: 67 Points: 10,419, Level: 67 Points: 10,419, Level: 67
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimolasaria View Post
Strong benching BigJosh ... Way to smash your goals ... keep up the great wotk brother ...

Great session once again buddy ... keep charging hard ...
Thanks Ravi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzarello View Post
Strong benching and great sumos. I have thought about switching from convent. to sumos. Might have to start.
I did conventional for quite a few years before switching to sumos. But yeah, maybe you should give it a try if you are having some sort of conventional deadlfit issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterace View Post
Great work Josh! Happy that you're liking the sumo deads, I love em! Like you it just feels right! Keep up the great training!!!
Thanks Jay. I find the postioning much more natural. 2 weeks in, it seems to be working for me. Only time will tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Just make sure those rails are set correctly by doing a staple test and then gotta have faith in them. Go get that 3rd rep next time. Looking at the vid, you for sure would have had it because even the 2nd rep looked smooth and controlled well.

Make sure to get a sumo dead vid next time. Apparently there is some technique to them that I never realized before. For me, LtL and Fen advised me to externally rotate the knees and hips and make myself more upright.

Too bad about the 325 miss. Perhaps try a lighter weight for at least triples or fivers next time??
Hey JIm. Yeah, I have the rails set, but in order to set the bar on them I have to bring it down over my neck. That is just not something I want to be in the habit of doing. Yeah, I probably had the third rep.

I will get the sumo vid next time. I have 2 vids from this last session, but they just are too close and too focused on my big ass. Just didn't think you guys should have to stare at my ass like that. I'm just looking out for you all!

I'll follow your advice and go for more reps this week on sumos. Thanks for everything Jim! Hope all is well.
"The fastest way to get strong muscles is also the fastest way to make them bigger. We know what works best to make them strong in the shortest time possible. If you want to get big, do the thing that makes them strong." - Marc Rippetoe
Zdravko Veselin Gaeta

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.

Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #732
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,360,283, Level: 100 Points: 1,360,283, Level: 100 Points: 1,360,283, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Easy presses.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #733
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Easy presses.
Thanks. If only my squats and deads came that easy.....
"The fastest way to get strong muscles is also the fastest way to make them bigger. We know what works best to make them strong in the shortest time possible. If you want to get big, do the thing that makes them strong." - Marc Rippetoe
Zdravko Veselin Gaeta

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.

Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best

Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #734
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn

Default 6/25/13 Cycle 15 Week 1 OHP

OHP
120x5
140x5
157.5x5 (Goal x5)

Pull ups BWx4
Pullups/rack chins
bwx2/10x3

Incline Bench Press
140x10,155x10,170x9

Tri set:
DB Curl
40x10,8,35x8
BB Shrug
200x10x3
Band Tricep Pd (mini band)
21x3

Overall workout Grade:A-

Notes:
First workout back after a four day lay off. I have came to the conclusion that a full deload at the end of every cycle (every 3 weeks) is over kill. Instead, I will take a couple extra days off if I feel i need it, take the usual 2 days off if I feel I don't, and take a full week off every 3 cycles (9 weeks). Usually 9 weeks in without a break I am feeling pretty beat up.

I didn't increase my OHP maxes as I missed a few reps last cycle.
It took me a bit to get firing on all cylinders. The Top set on the OHP felt heavier than I thought it would. It was a bit of a grinder. I had hoped for some extras reps, but i struggled to get the required ones. If I do increase OHP next cycle it will only be by 2.5lbs, as opposed to the normal 5lbs increase.

The first pullup set felt solid. Hit a good 4. That is one more rep than last cycle.
After that the pull up/rack chins supersets felt like shit. I may change this up a bit and do pull up rest pause without the rack chins. Not sure yet.

Kicked the ramping sets up by 5lbs on the Incline bench.

Finished with a DB curl/BB shrug/ Band Tricep Pushdown triset.

Finished this session feeling good and strong and pumped. Towards the middle I wasn't feeling the greatest, but that was probably due to the extra couple days off.
All in all, I would say this was a pretty good session.
Zdravko Veselin Gaeta

Quote:

Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #735
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Doing well in here Big Josh. I see you stuck with 5/3/1. Is it treating you better?
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #736
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 24,072, Level: 94 Points: 24,072, Level: 94 Points: 24,072, Level: 94
Activity: 98% Activity: 98% Activity: 98%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Really nice to see you repping pull ups Big J! I would suggest doing the rack chins after incline benching - sort of like a push pull. My lats usually need a bit extra rest because of my weight.
Bench: 253 lbs
Deadlift: 463 lbs
Total: 1119 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 290 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1295 Lbs
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #737
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Doing well in here Big Josh. I see you stuck with 5/3/1. Is it treating you better?
Hey Off Road. I did stick with 5/3/1 as far as my upper body is concerned. It has really treated my upper body well. I have no complaints as far as my upper body is concerned.

However, with my squat and deadlift this is not the case. I continue to use the "T-baggins" squat protocol. It isn't working quite as good as I would hope, but I am sticking with it for now. I have changed it around a bit. Doing the heaviest session in week 1 vs. week 3. If my squat doesn't start to move a bit after this cycle I will probably abandon the "t-baggins" approach and the 5/3/1 approach all together for my squats.
I will be doing some different squat assistance work this cycle and there are other factors, such as weight loss that may have impacted my squat progress.

For deadlift I have completely gotten away from 5/3/1. It just didn't work for my deadlift. I have some lower back issues that I am working around and will be trying a Steve Shaw deadlift programming approach for the next few months.

I see myself slowly evolving away from 5/3/1 and will probably move to something else all together toward the last quarter of 2013.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Really nice to see you repping pull ups Big J! I would suggest doing the rack chins after incline benching - sort of like a push pull. My lats usually need a bit extra rest because of my weight.
Thanks Jim.
So you think something like OHP, Pull ups, incline press, then rack chins?
I may give that a shot. I really want to get stronger at pull ups. It is a goal of mine. Not just because it looks cool, but because if at 260+lbs I can rep pull ups, I would have developed some serious back strength
Zdravko Veselin Gaeta

Quote:

Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #738
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 24,072, Level: 94 Points: 24,072, Level: 94 Points: 24,072, Level: 94
Activity: 98% Activity: 98% Activity: 98%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Indeed Big J - its working for me. I am just using rack chins as sort of a finisher, as many as possible. My pull ups have been progressing well of late using the push pull. I think because we are heavy the lats need more rest. It's sort of like maxing for them - when I do heavy singl;es, doubles, or even triples, on squats or deads, I take extra rest, so why not on pull ups?
Bench: 253 lbs
Deadlift: 463 lbs
Total: 1119 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 290 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1295 Lbs
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #739
KD5NFW
KD5NFW
aka Buttercup
13 in 15
Max Brawn
Points: 10,507, Level: 68 Points: 10,507, Level: 68 Points: 10,507, Level: 68
Activity: 59% Activity: 59% Activity: 59%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: yes
Fav Supp: meat
My Mood: Lurking
KD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite member

Keep killing it Josh!! I agree a deload after every cycle is not necessary. Take them when your body says to take them!
KD5NFW is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #740
Hunterace
Hunterace
is mental!!!
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn
Points: 16,530, Level: 82 Points: 16,530, Level: 82 Points: 16,530, Level: 82
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Great work Josh! Like the plan of skipping the unnecessary deload every 3 weeks! Go on how you feel and keep on smashing!!!

~~~2 Chronicles 15:7 ~~~
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log
http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...=15543&page=10
Hunterace is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook