Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 09-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #311
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,479,211, Level: 100 Points: 1,479,211, Level: 100 Points: 1,479,211, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Try opening your toes just a hair more. See if it helps. It might loosen your hips a hair and help you stay more upright.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #312
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,479,211, Level: 100 Points: 1,479,211, Level: 100 Points: 1,479,211, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

By the way, I didn't recommend you drop 531, I just suggested backing off real heavy work until you get that fixed. Perhaps just use the single day for something else.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #313
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Lots of good advice, hope something clicks for you. Only thing I will add was that really pushing my knees out hard kept me from leaning so much. I still do sometimes when my back gets too tired to stay tight, but it helped overall.

Keep working hard and being smart. You'll get where you want to go.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #314
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 26,545, Level: 97 Points: 26,545, Level: 97 Points: 26,545, Level: 97
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

WRT High Bar, I also had no idea how to do it really. I did watch some youtube vids. I basically did a set where I normally placed the bar, made reference in my mind where it was, and then made sure it was higher for the 2nd set. It was very uncomfortable at first, so I knew it was in a new position. I was a little worried it may be too high and may cause an injury, but it gradually felt better and better. I knew if I placed the bar any higher, it would be on my neck and I was sure that could not be a good thing. There were a few times where I wanted to quit doing high bar, but I stuck with it because I knew front squats took me awhile to get used to as well. Now I don't even feel the bar much.

I also focused heavily on keeping my chest up and sitting back on the heels, which also seemed to help.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #315
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 10,944, Level: 69 Points: 10,944, Level: 69 Points: 10,944, Level: 69
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
Lower back issues suck, best to get that form issue sorted out asap....we want you reaching 400 squat .... I usually work out alone too. Just bring something along to keep the phone upright so you can snap a vid, if you dont want to post it for all to see im sure Steve or Jim wouldn't mind you sending it to just them....i sure wouldn't mind....anything to help out ,
Another quick question, how much core work are you getting through in a week and when are you doing it? Are you just doing abs or is there direct lower back work in there? Perhaps switch squats to the start of the week when you are fresh or have had most recovery time?

Rip has a nice video out about bar position, ill pm you the link .
Thanks for all the great insight and advice Alan.
I listened to what you said about the phone and I tried experimenting with it this evening. I snapped a video of myself bench pressing. I'm going to make the squat video happen.
I usually 4-7 sets of ab work a week . In the form of leg raises and decline bench crunches. I don't get any direct lower back outside of the squats, deads, and possibly even the OHP. Interested in hearing your thoughts regarding ab work and lower back work.

As for the suggestion of switching squats to the start of the week. This is actually a great idea. When I am working out 4 days a week I do them on day 2, after OHP (day 1). This may very well be having an impact. And even though I am now working out 3 days a week, this last week, due to a weird schedule, I did squats the day after OHP. This is something I feel could be contributing to my issue.
Thanks again!!!

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #316
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
I worked through the same thing with forward lean about a year ago. Got me beat up pretty bad from not correcting it but instead just adding weight to thr bar.

My suggestion is to put your ego aside, and when you think or calculate your squat-max, think of a weight that you can do without breaking your form. Good luck bud!
Thanks for taking the time to offer some advice Big Swede. I personally consider my squat to be a weak link in my strength training and put a lot of pressure on myself to get it up. I think maybe backing off a bit is going to be a wise decision.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #317
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Try opening your toes just a hair more. See if it helps. It might loosen your hips a hair and help you stay more upright.
Thanks BtB for sharing your great advice. I tend to open my toes quite a bit, but I will keep this in mind and give it a check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
By the way, I didn't recommend you drop 531, I just suggested backing off real heavy work until you get that fixed. Perhaps just use the single day for something else.
Understood. Thanks for the suggestion. I guess i just have the "stick with the program" mentality(obsession) and I struggle sometimes to think outside the box. My apologies.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #318
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Lots of good advice, hope something clicks for you. Only thing I will add was that really pushing my knees out hard kept me from leaning so much. I still do sometimes when my back gets too tired to stay tight, but it helped overall.

Keep working hard and being smart. You'll get where you want to go.
Thanks Mike. I appreciate the insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
WRT High Bar, I also had no idea how to do it really. I did watch some youtube vids. I basically did a set where I normally placed the bar, made reference in my mind where it was, and then made sure it was higher for the 2nd set. It was very uncomfortable at first, so I knew it was in a new position. I was a little worried it may be too high and may cause an injury, but it gradually felt better and better. I knew if I placed the bar any higher, it would be on my neck and I was sure that could not be a good thing. There were a few times where I wanted to quit doing high bar, but I stuck with it because I knew front squats took me awhile to get used to as well. Now I don't even feel the bar much.

I also focused heavily on keeping my chest up and sitting back on the heels, which also seemed to help.
Thanks for the advice Jim. I'll give this a shot. THanks for pointing me in the right direction WRT learning the different bar placement.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #319
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn

Default 9/18/2012 Cycle 5 Week 3 Bench Press

Bench Press
245x5
275x3
310x2 (Goal x1)

170x10,10,10,10,6

DB Row
90x10,10,10,10,7

DB Curl
30x12,12,7
DB 1 Hand Overhead Tricep Extension
35x12,9, 30x12

Face Pulls
40x15x3

Overall Workout Grade: A

Notes:
Pretty Good session this afternoon. Hit a double on my top set. Went pretty damn easy.
Kicked my BBB bench up a bit from last week. I actually may have done one more set than I listed. I lost track.
Kick up my DB rows. Had to put on the straps for the last 2 sets. It felt pretty heavy. I remember last workout being heavy, but I figured I was going into a deload week, why not push it a bit.
Curls felt hard. I realize that the curls and the extensions for that matter probably won't progress much due to the pounding my bis and tris take from the main lifts in the workout. And I am ok with that.

I experimented a bit with taking some video, with moderate success. I found the whole process of recording a bit distracting. Still though, I was able to get a video of my top set. It's not the best, the angle is funky, but I was just seeing what I could do.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2012, 03:02 AM   #320
markievicz
markievicz
is a Squataholic
Max Brawn
Points: 12,728, Level: 73 Points: 12,728, Level: 73 Points: 12,728, Level: 73
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Thanks for all the great insight and advice Alan.
I usually 4-7 sets of ab work a week . In the form of leg raises and decline bench crunches. I don't get any direct lower back outside of the squats, deads, and possibly even the OHP. Interested in hearing your thoughts regarding ab work and lower back work.
No problem Josh,
for my core work I usually get some done everyday at the end of the session…ab work is usually one from hanging straight leg raise, ab wheel, side bends and weighted cable crunches , sometimes ill throw in planks, for the lower back I used to do quite a bit of hypers and good mornings but now that I look back over my log I see they haven’t appeared for a while….guess I should practice what I preach!

Quote:
As for the suggestion of switching squats to the start of the week. This is actually a great idea. When I am working out 4 days a week I do them on day 2, after OHP (day 1). This may very well be having an impact. And even though I am now working out 3 days a week, this last week, due to a weird schedule, I did squats the day after OHP. This is something I feel could be contributing to my issue.
Thanks again!!!
You could be onto something here…..i find OHP very taxing on my lower back , I actually do that as my last workout of the week, its also the one I place least importance on so I never really go for the 1RM on this , I usually do rep work even on 5/3/1 day , lately ive started wearing my belt to try remind myself to keep correct form on them and I found it helps.
The way I scheduled 5/3/1 for my goals and also the way I found it works best for me is
Mon – Squat
Tue – Bench
Wed – rest
Thurs – Deadlift
Friday - Press

Give that a run for a cycle and see how things go, definitely get some footage of the squats and some of the more technical guys(and gals) here can help with that ,

Quote:
Bench Press
245x5
275x3
310x2 (Goal x1)

170x10,10,10,10,6

DB Row
90x10,10,10,10,7
Good work here , that 310 double looked easy enough for you. With a (good)spotter you probably had 3/4

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook