Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,481,525, Level: 100 Points: 1,481,525, Level: 100 Points: 1,481,525, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Dips for Development
by BendtheBar 05-06-2012, 06:32 PM

Dips for Development
by Melvin "Mal" Crosby (1947)

We are going to try to bring to the body-builders' attention in this article the value of dipping on the parallel bars. As we all know, there are various styles of dipping, on the floor, and also with chairs but the best result come from dips on the bars. Some of our best hand balancers use this exercise for their upper body work. Parallel bar dips get triceps, deltoids, pectoral, latissimus and trapezius muscles. In my own program I have used dips for the past year each time I worked out, which was three times a week.

One of the best systems for dips is to do 6 to 8 bodyweight reps, take 10 deep breaths and repeat until you have finished 25 total reps. You can add 1 rep every other workout until you can do 12 bodyweight reps without stopping. When you can do this it is time to add some weight attached with a belt or chain. Start out with 5 pounds tied on and do the same system as above. After about three months of dipping you should be using fairly heavy weight. It is then time to alter this system.

For instance, if you have advanced to 25 pounds you then should do a series of 5 sets of 6 reps each for 30 total reps, with 10 deep breaths between each set. From here on you can add a few pounds a week but do not increase the reps. This system will tend to give the triceps a lot of bulk in a short time. Constant practice will pay off.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Views 713 Comments 3
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 3

Comments

Old 05-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
IronWill
IronWill
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
My Mood: Relaxed
IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

Nice article BtB.
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I have always thought that bar dips were a superior muscle builder when compared to the bench press.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 10,976, Level: 69 Points: 10,976, Level: 69 Points: 10,976, Level: 69
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Very good article. What I find the most interesting is the rest/pause approach he recommends. I'm going to use this. Very awesome.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook