Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Daring
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast
Default Strength and Singles

Ditillo:

"The need for single attempts as a training medium cannot be overlooked because they teach you, just as the power rack teaches you, to fight against heavy weight. And this is a requirement for continued success in any strength. Some may argue that all that is necessary is medium heavy resistance and the strength will come whether you perform singles or not, but I beg to differ. What happens in most of those cases is that the lifter becomes proficient at performing many sets of three and five reps with a medium heavy weight and he also gains in muscle size and density from the work but his limit single and double attempts do not come to par with his repetition capabilities. It is far easier to learn to do more repetitions with a given weight than it is to lift a heavier weight for the same number of repetitions. This is where we have so many guys falling by the wayside. They can squat maybe four hundred for fine repetitions and fail with four fifty for a single! This is almost assuredly caused by training with many sets of low repetitions but very little single repetition work being done."

My own training experience bears out this statement, as I train almost exclusively with singles and find that my maximum poundage is far above what I can do for lots of reps.

Thoughts?

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,551,268, Level: 100 Points: 1,551,268, Level: 100 Points: 1,551,268, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Have you seen our Increasing Strength thread? Take a look. Lots of goodness.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-strength.html

I live on singles right now. Basically the bulk of what I have done for the last 6 months. On 6 months my totals are up nearly 200 pounds, and I am closing in on Elite. I am sold on singles and heavy work.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
gaspers04
gaspers04
is "Thickneck McBenchpress"
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Brooding
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

I love singles

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn

IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Have you seen our Increasing Strength thread? Take a look. Lots of goodness.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-strength.html

I live on singles right now. Basically the bulk of what I have done for the last 6 months. On 6 months my totals are up nearly 200 pounds, and I am closing in on Elite. I am sold on singles and heavy work.
I did see that thread. And yes, singles are great!

Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
elijah
elijah
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,896, Level: 25 Points: 1,896, Level: 25 Points: 1,896, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Red meat & diet Rockstar
elijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributor

Thanks for this post. I was on the fence with trying to incorporate singles and doubles but not anymore. Singles are definitely making their way in now.
elijah is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah View Post
Thanks for this post. I was on the fence with trying to incorporate singles and doubles but not anymore. Singles are definitely making their way in now.
Singles are excellent for strength development. The whole article is here: The Tight Tan Slacks of Dezso Ban: The Single Repetition Principle - Ditillo

Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Traphouse86
Traphouse86
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 6,569, Level: 53 Points: 6,569, Level: 53 Points: 6,569, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion!
Training Exp: 6 Years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Muscle Milk & Xtend
My Mood: Aggressive
Traphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
Singles are excellent for strength development. The whole article is here: The Tight Tan Slacks of Dezso Ban: The Single Repetition Principle - Ditillo
Really good read, I believe in singles myself

"I donít believe that anyone knows what his or her full potential is, I donít believe in genetics as a ceiling for performance, and I donít believe in plateaus." JMB

Proudly Sponsored by http://muscleandbrawn.com/
Traphouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I believe in singles too. But, I don't believe you can only do singles and stay in the game very long.

If you're only doing singles you are always on the edge of what your body and form are capable of doing. It seems almost inevitable that you will break down physically or make a bad form mistake and you will hurt yourself. Then injury recovery stalls progress while you rehab, etc.

So, I would say singles are great if you hitting them more than once and also if you are steadily increasing your volume with 80-90% too.

I guess I think it's a choice between hovering around 80-90% and increasing strength that way which is safer and somewhat slower, or jacking singles until something breaks and gaining top end strength faster, but having to accept some rehab as the price of doing business.

Which is better, a year to go from a 300 squat to 400, or six months to go the same distance, but then take six months off to recover from a bulging disc?

Obviously exaggerating, but that's what I think about the subject.

Just my .02

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
Ditillo2
Ditillo2
has no status.
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Ditillo2 is off to a good startDitillo2 is off to a good startDitillo2 is off to a good start

Hi!

Glad you like the Tan Slacks blog.

You may have already seen this, but there's some progressive ideas on singles training and weight selection at the Ground Up Strength site. Look for The Singles Scene article to start with. Or just Google "ground up strength the singles scene" and you'll come up with the pdf link. Lots of good stuff there and it's not a money deal.

Have a good one.

Last edited by Ditillo2; 04-19-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Ditillo2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
If you're only doing singles you are always on the edge of what your body and form are capable of doing. It seems almost inevitable that you will break down physically or make a bad form mistake and you will hurt yourself. Then injury recovery stalls progress while you rehab, etc.
Depends at what intensity these singles are done. I don't think what you're describing can be said to be a problem of singles exclusively. Hovering at max effort work for far too long is the real problem. This can happen with any rep range.

Too much intensity for too long, adding on top of that a healthy dose of form degradation and that is the problem.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook