Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Chest Building

Interesting topic, so I thought I would share. At M&S exercises are ranked by 2 factors:

1) Popularity
2) Rating

This creates a "weight", ranking the favorite exercises. The top 10 chest exercises currently are:

Quote:
1 - Dumbbell Pullover
2 - Dumbbell Flys
3 - Cable Crossovers (bent over)
4 - Incline Push Ups
5 - Smith Machine Wide Grip Bench Press
6 - Cable Crossovers (standing straight up)
7 - Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
8 - Cable Crossovers (mid chest)
9 - Deep Push Ups
10 - Push Up
Though this is only a small, initial cross section, it is interesting. The demographic average (Men 16-25) utilizes/likes pushups, flyes, crossovers and Smith bench.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 10,921, Level: 69 Points: 10,921, Level: 69 Points: 10,921, Level: 69
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Question in regards to this information, it is ranked by whom?

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
MC
MC
is plotting World Domination from the Phantom Zone
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
My Mood: Aggressive
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

I tried cable crossovers once a few weeks ago. I gotta say that for the rest of the day, my chest kept contracting and getting stuck in flexed position whenever I reached across my body. Oh, the pain!

Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Question in regards to this information, it is ranked by whom?
Surfers.

Each exercise gets hundreds of views per day. The popularity is one factor. Surfers can also "star" rate exercises and comment. These are also factors.

So, ranked by the average person in the demographic.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-11-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Is it possible that these execises get the most views because people are the least familiar with them?
In other words, most guys know (basically) how to bench press, but they may be interested in seeing how to do some of these other movements. So just because they get the most hits doesn't necessarily make them the favorite, it could possibly make them the most researched due to a lack of understanding or familarity

Just throwing out ideas, not saying it is one way or the other.

I guess it's really hard to believe that there are 3 push up variations on the list and not one barbell bench press variation.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

No. Most traffic comes directly from Google searches for an exercise, or as a click-through from a specific workout they searched for. Also, if you look at the exercises, there are many more obscure exercises that don't get clicks or ratings.

Bounce rates, or the time on site and amount of clicks the average person makes on a site, are relatively small. M&S gets a million page views per day, and 98% of people are one-offs looking for specific info.

Also, hits are not the primary rating determiner. It is merely one factor. It's useless without comments or ratings.

I certainly don't have all the answers here, but it is interesting.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-11-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn

Interesting. Well, it's good they are trying to inform themselves.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #8
TitanCT
TitanCT
throwing iron and eating pizza.
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Mood: Aggressive
TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Huh. I don't even use DB pullovers for chest now. Strictly Lats and seratus focus. Interesting it's number 1. Imo, can't beat a good ole press, db or bb.
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook