Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
Stienthor
Stienthor
Loving Life
Brawn
Points: 548, Level: 10 Points: 548, Level: 10 Points: 548, Level: 10
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: with weights 1+ yr
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Squat
My Mood: Happy
Stienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good posts
Default question about my new power rack

[IMG][/IMG]

I realize this is a pull up bar on the power rack. What I want to know is the following.

- there are multiple handholds and I am stumped as to what each pull is gonna do for me. figured I would pose the question here and see what I am able to learn.
Stienthor is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #2
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,169, Level: 72 Points: 12,169, Level: 72 Points: 12,169, Level: 72
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

I cant see the picture but I dont think I need to.

If you wanted to, switch to a different grip every month. I dont really think it matters.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
Dray
Dray
is working towards
a better Dray, day by day
Max Brawn
Points: 9,242, Level: 64 Points: 9,242, Level: 64 Points: 9,242, Level: 64
Activity: 84% Activity: 84% Activity: 84%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: strict press
Fav Supp: rare steak
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Yeah, it's basically the same movement. Just do what you prefer. You could even switch grips between sets, for all it matters.

Gym PRs: SQ 160kg/352.7lbs, BP 112.5kg/248lbs, DL 220kg/485lbs

my new training log
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2014, 12:10 AM   #4
zach90
zach90
getin stronger daily
Brawn
Points: 1,626, Level: 23 Points: 1,626, Level: 23 Points: 1,626, Level: 23
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 6 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: curls... lol jk DEADS
Fav Supp: moe food
zach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributor

i would imagine that it would put slightly more emphasis on different muscles of the back depending on grip width and hand position
zach90 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,431, Level: 75 Points: 13,431, Level: 75 Points: 13,431, Level: 75
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Wider grip=more back, closer grip=more biceps, overhand or parallel grip=more brachialis, underhand grip=more biceps. (The brachialis is the largest muscle in the forearm located on the outside of the elbow. It's the muscle you use when you do hammer curls)
Goals-
Win.

Last edited by Soldier; 06-18-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
TKDwarrior
TKDwarrior
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 302, Level: 6 Points: 302, Level: 6 Points: 302, Level: 6
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

TKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Wider grip=more back, closer grip=more biceps, overhand or parallel grip=more brachialis, underhand grip=more biceps. (The brachialis is the largest muscle in the forearm located on the outside of the elbow. It's the muscle you use when you do hammer curls)
Agreed. The closer grip and underhand grip will activate more biceps.

I saw a few interesting research studies which looked at all the different grips. What really mattered the most, according to the research, was that the pronated grip used in a pull-up as opposed to the underhand grip used in a chin up was the best for lat activation. No kidding right? Here's the interesting part: The width of the grip appeared to not matter when using a pronated grip. Some people go shoulder width for example, whereas others go pretty wide (putting additional stress on the shoulder joint). As long as you use the pronated grip, the lats get activated equally and there was no difference in EMG activity and lat recruitment between a shoulder width grip and a wider grip.

Research doesn't always translate into practical application, but I found this to be interesting. IF the results are accurate, may as well not stress the shoulder joints as much using a very wide grip.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,431, Level: 75 Points: 13,431, Level: 75 Points: 13,431, Level: 75
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKDwarrior View Post
Research doesn't always translate into practical application...
This. Although I always find the EMG stuff interesting, I also find that it doesn't seem to corelate with what people I trust have been preaching for years. I once heard Louie Simmons say that EMG studies showed that quad recruitment was the same for wide stance and narrow stance squatting. All you have to do it a high rep set of each with moderate weights to know that this isn't the case when it comes down to it. I don't think Tom Platz would have gotten the same quad development if he had tons of hours of high rep, heavy wide stance squats.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook