Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
JordanK91
JordanK91
Looking for a 125kg Bench, 160kg Squat, 200kgDeadlift!
Max Brawn
Points: 2,376, Level: 29 Points: 2,376, Level: 29 Points: 2,376, Level: 29
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 0 - Newbie
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: USN Muscle Fuel
My Mood: Amused
JordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributor
Default Newbies First Cutting Plan

So,

As summer approaches I feel the need to cycle a quick cut.

As I am still a newbie I need all the help and advice possible..

Im currently 84kg 5 foot 10 with an est.16-18% bf and would like to cut until I reach roughly 8% but also retain as much muscle as possible.

Im running a 4 day split program (4sets x 8 reps) since I started 2 months ago and I'm still making strength gains. Would there a program more suited to cutting or will I stick to my current?

My understanding is that in order to lose body fat I need to be burning more calories than I am consuming so I will need to run a pretty strict diet.
Do you guys have foods you recommend during cutting?

I've heard that Bcaa's help the retention of muscle during cuts but I have not done much research on them as of yet.

So any tips or advice is all appreciated.. I will post before and after pics as I begin
JordanK91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100 Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100 Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Let's start with this...do you have any experience counting calories or grams of protein?

Quote:
Would there a program more suited to cutting or will I stick to my current?
Only thing that is important is that you continue to bust yourself in the gym for more strength. Train weak during a cut and you provide your body a reason to lose muscle.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
markievicz
markievicz
is a Squataholic
Max Brawn
Points: 12,812, Level: 73 Points: 12,812, Level: 73 Points: 12,812, Level: 73
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

as i said to ya over the weekend , i dont think you should be looking to cut at all for this summer . you are making decent gains in strength and size and should carry on with that as long as possible.

thats said , i am in no position to give advise about what to eat on a cutting diet so ill leave that to experts!

how did you get the bf done?
how many calroies are you eating per day currently?

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
JordanK91
JordanK91
Max Brawn

JordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributorJordanK91 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Let's start with this...do you have any experience counting calories or grams of protein?

Only thing that is important is that you continue to bust yourself in the gym for more strength. Train weak during a cut and you provide your body a reason to lose muscle.
I have zero experience with calorie counting of grams of protein..
Ive read up that I need 1gram of protein per pound of body weight.. I just always tried to get as much as possible to be honest

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
JacktheThriller
JacktheThriller
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 5 years consistent
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
My Mood: Twisted
JacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributor

brand new to dieting
I would recommend a ketogenic diet as i have had great experience with it in the past. It is muscle sparing and high protein in nature. Your training total reps/set will change because you lack glycogen to perform sets for extended periods of time.
JacktheThriller is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

NOT to be a jerk or @ss just for your own knowlage now and in future to help retain gains.
I suggest you get reading up quick summer is around the corner. Your 1g per LBM is ok for some on BULK. During cut it ranges anywhere from 1.25 - 2 grams depending on your age and metabolism.

You realy need to know your Body fat and LBM to properly set up a diet. So many set up on there total weight and then never understand why they don't shed lbs.

Common sence, you want to preserve your LBM and loose the extra so why set up to preserve the extra?

Point:
1. Yes you never change your workout, whether your cutting or in bulk.
2. Read up as much as you can about nutrition.

At this point with you knowing nothing about cals or grams anything we tell you will be Greek to you. BUT we all will be hear to help you along in your research and maybe a step by step help, but you knowing nothing NO single thread or post will give you your answer.

Not trying to be a jerk just being honest. It would be like taking a blind person to pick out paint for your living room or asking me advice on running shoes. See were I'm going?

We all want to help but there is a need for you to understand what we are saying first.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
Chillen
Chillen
Current Pic/Nov 30th, 2012: Rocken Lean
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
My Mood: Inspired
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

When it comes to cutting, coming from my own personal experience, and personal study, I tend to take a different opinion as compared to what some have stipulated in this thread.

For the average, it should be as simple as possible, until bodily feedback is to such an extent, that more advanced (or different) methods need to be implemented.

Changing ones weight routine and what this routine "focuses" upon, depends on the person, the person's physical disposition, history, personal goals (and what has been learned) and in some cases other personal criteria.

Sets, rest between sets, reps, volume, and frequency, all can be manipulated to an extent where the purpose is fat loss (more metabolic, or geared to burn a larger portion of carbohydrates for certain purposes).

Therefore, in some personal situations, the goal or focus point isn't always strength. For some, it stands to common sense, that some strength can be lost in running calorie deficits, when an established strength/muscle base has been built from prior weight routine work.

Beginning with the simple dietary basics and moving to more advanced/complicated dietary mechanics (where or if necessary-as your body communicates its feedback) will never steer you in the wrong direction.

In my opinion, you do not have to make a distinction between Lean Body Mass, and Fat Mass. The most important variables when pointing to calories are:

Total Body Weight, Age, Sex, and Variances in Activities. Its these personal particulars you base your MT-Line of Calories from, and then create a small numeric deficit to solicit tissue loss. From this base you fit in the basic three macros: Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fats.

How you partition these aforementioned macros, depends, on your physical disposition, your goal, and goal-position (and problems encountered).

In basic terminology, you set up your calorie arrangement around your personal particulars (as stated above), and create a small numeric deficit (say something like 300 to 500 calories). Within the net deficit line (the total calorie value after you removed the numeric calorie deficit), you would fit in the three basic macros.

Unless you have personal history that stipulates otherwise, I would focus on protein, and fill the rest with carbohydrates and fats, and see how a plain ole' calorie deficit (and basic macro nutrient arrangement) treats you in soliciting tissue loss, before you move on to other macro nutrient manipulation methods. This is especially true if you have not dieted for quite some time. You can always keep the deficit, and adjust (for example carbohydrates lower) if some type of complication develops.

If you do not know the serving sizes and calories of food you need to learn. The information is no greater than moving your finger tips, and doing a search on line. This you will need to know, in order to observe food on the fly and make personal decisions as you move within your diet.

How you set up your fitness routine, depends on your physical disposition.

Peace

Chillen

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 03-22-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2012, 05:12 AM   #8
JordanK91
JordanK91
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheThriller View Post
brand new to dieting
I would recommend a ketogenic diet as i have had great experience with it in the past. It is muscle sparing and high protein in nature. Your training total reps/set will change because you lack glycogen to perform sets for extended periods of time.
Thanks Jack, I'll research it and see how it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
When it comes to cutting, coming from my own personal experience, and personal study, I tend to take a different opinion as compared to what some have stipulated in this thread.

For the average, it should be as simple as possible, until bodily feedback is to such an extent, that more advanced (or different) methods need to be implemented.

Changing ones weight routine and what this routine "focuses" upon, depends on the person, the person's physical disposition, history, personal goals (and what has been learned) and in some cases other personal criteria.

Sets, rest between sets, reps, volume, and frequency, all can be manipulated to an extent where the purpose is fat loss (more metabolic, or geared to burn a larger portion of carbohydrates for certain purposes).

Therefore, in some personal situations, the goal or focus point isn't always strength. For some, it stands to common sense, that some strength can be lost in running calorie deficits, when an established strength/muscle base has been built from prior weight routine work.

Beginning with the simple dietary basics and moving to more advanced/complicated dietary mechanics (where or if necessary-as your body communicates its feedback) will never steer you in the wrong direction.

In my opinion, you do not have to make a distinction between Lean Body Mass, and Fat Mass. The most important variables when pointing to calories are:

Total Body Weight, Age, Sex, and Variances in Activities. Its these personal particulars you base your MT-Line of Calories from, and then create a small numeric deficit to solicit tissue loss. From this base you fit in the basic three macros: Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fats.

How you partition these aforementioned macros, depends, on your physical disposition, your goal, and goal-position (and problems encountered).

In basic terminology, you set up your calorie arrangement around your personal particulars (as stated above), and create a small numeric deficit (say something like 300 to 500 calories). Within the net deficit line (the total calorie value after you removed the numeric calorie deficit), you would fit in the three basic macros.

Unless you have personal history that stipulates otherwise, I would focus on protein, and fill the rest with carbohydrates and fats, and see how a plain ole' calorie deficit (and basic macro nutrient arrangement) treats you in soliciting tissue loss, before you move on to other macro nutrient manipulation methods. This is especially true if you have not dieted for quite some time. You can always keep the deficit, and adjust (for example carbohydrates lower) if some type of complication develops.

If you do not know the serving sizes and calories of food you need to learn. The information is no greater than moving your finger tips, and doing a search on line. This you will need to know, in order to observe food on the fly and make personal decisions as you move within your diet.

How you set up your fitness routine, depends on your physical disposition.

Peace

Chillen
Thanks for all the great info above.
I'll do some reading all week and broaden my knowledge for when the cutting starts

Share with Facebook