Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
My Mood: Lurking
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Default Scoops vr grams and helping out

OK I see this all over the web, newbes and vets alike.

"I add 2 scoops to my milk" "I do 1 scoop" " Intra I drink a scoop." "3 scoops will do ya good."

In reality does this tell any one anything other than they are taking that supplement?

How are new people to the sport going to learn? Are your grams a world class secret?

OR don't you know eather?

Would you want a doctor to say " I don't know know much to take but take the prescription it will help."

We old timers preach learn about nutrition and your sups before you take them, then we turn around and post scoops? Does this make sence or help these newbe's?

Know your sups and know the grams you are taking.

You know how much is on your bar or geuss. "Well I today I pressed 3 of them round things on each side." lol

If we vets are to help the new people out, we better know ourself. I'm not saying everyone needs to weigh things out. Just post how much you take better than "Scoop" the quality/quanity is so diffrent from one brand to another.

Protein is the wurst culprit for this. Grams protein can very as much as 50 grams per 1 scoop.

So you recommend 1 scoop, 3 times a day to a new guy.
  • Brand A: 50g scoop = 150 g's
  • New guy takes 3 scoops as you recomend to him but Brand B: 25g scoop = 75g protein.

You just robbed him of 75g protein seen as you told him 3 scoops instead of 150g's.

Not only this but lets say your product missed getting a scooped (It happens) so grab a extra one you have laying around. Its a 35g scooped at the line, are you going to do one scoop of a product that is 20g a serving?

I have seen scoopers go from 1.6g (Controlled Labs:REDuction AM SHOT, this is a fat burner)
to (these are whey products)
  • Gold Standard 100% Whey 1 Rounded Scoop(33g) 24g protein
  • Prostar 100% Whey Protein 1 Scoop (about 30g) 25g protein
  • BSN:Syntha-6 whey 1 Rounded Scoop(44g) 22g protein
  • AAEFX FN Pro whey 1 scoop (34.9g) 24g protein
  • AAEFX IGF 33 growth factors whey (1 scoop 46g) 21 protein
I personally don't like the rounded scoops. A rounded is open to personal opinion on what the round amount is.

If your asking a person on how much of something and they reply in "scoops" ask them how many grams it equals. If they can't tell you, I would double think taking advise from them.

Any true vet of any sport or hobby in the health/weight lifting industry knows what they put in there body and why. Not all are as anal as me in weighing them out but they still know.

We old vets need to remember, it isn't like it was when we started and sups were a blanket size and quantity per serving.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I have a scale at home. Going to test the grams today.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
emekajokammor
emekajokammor
is doin work
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
My Mood: Inspired
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

So so true Rich! I've been reading your post about this lately so i decided to weigh a scoop.

Facts say 1 scoop (32g) = 25g protein

1 full scoop using scooper that came with it = 46g/scoop

lol, not terribly bad but off by 14g. So my 2 scoops are actually equal to about 70g and not 50g.

Can't really be mad at them. I shoulda been weighing EVERYTHING in the first place. Now i can slow down my protein purchases which have been 5lbs almost twice a month! Bet they didn't count on myth buster Rich to shine a little light on their scheme.

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
ricka182
ricka182
is taking small steps.. then GIANT leaps to domination!!!
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Archery 2000 Champion! Fish Eat Fish Champion! Power Driver Champion! Yeti Sports 1 Greece Champion! Penguinoids Champion!
Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
My Mood: Sick
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Another reason why we need to fix the FDA, then and only then get them to regulate all supplements. Right now, they would just make it worse than ever, and make a huge black market for stuff they don't know about.

Fix the FDA first, then give them supplements to regulate. I'd be willing to bet 25% of all supp companies go out of business if that ever happens, because they don't disclose what's in their stuff, or how much is.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 25,001, Level: 95 Points: 25,001, Level: 95 Points: 25,001, Level: 95
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emekajokammor View Post
So so true Rich! I've been reading your post about this lately so i decided to weigh a scoop.

Facts say 1 scoop (32g) = 25g protein

1 full scoop using scooper that came with it = 46g/scoop

lol, not terribly bad but off by 14g. So my 2 scoops are actually equal to about 70g and not 50g.

Can't really be mad at them. I shoulda been weighing EVERYTHING in the first place. Now i can slow down my protein purchases which have been 5lbs almost twice a month! Bet they didn't count on myth buster Rich to shine a little light on their scheme.
Now I need to go weigh my scoop. I have been making them level scoops, just not weighing them. I feel so embarrassed.

Seeking to be transformed, not conformed!

Become a disciple of the bar. - glwanabe

The Official Get Fit For The King Website

Yasen Miroslav Zavadil
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn

Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

BendtheBar and bamazav

What did you all find out?

Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricka182 View Post
Another reason why we need to fix the FDA, then and only then get them to regulate all supplements. Right now, they would just make it worse than ever, and make a huge black market for stuff they don't know about.

Fix the FDA first, then give them supplements to regulate. I'd be willing to bet 25% of all supp companies go out of business if that ever happens, because they don't disclose what's in their stuff, or how much is.
This has nothing to do with FDA, only people perception of measuring and if they pay attention to serving sizes. The companies provide a scooper that accommodates a serving and tells us the serving size. If we just assume things its on us. Whether we want to just dive in with a scooper or weigh out what they say is a serving, that is on us.

What whould you do if they didn't provide a scooper and only told you the grams of a serving?

Did you ever read your sample packs? I get them at shows all the time. 50% of them are 2 serving packets. We assume it one serving.

They tell us the servings, its your choice to take more or less. They hope you take more because then you see results and you think it is from 1 serving and are impressed so you by more. As a rule of thumb 3/4 people taking supplements that use a scooper are taking 1.2-2 servings thinking they are taking 1 serving all because of the personal opinion of were the level full mark is (80% are not the top of scooper but at a line down a little farther on the scooper) , what rounded and heaping.

The sup companies don't make there own scooper's they order them or pick them from a list of the suppliers ready made ones.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn

OK, weighed out the Karbolyn with original scooper.

Scooper is 12g's empty.

0 scale out and weigh product results.

Level scoop to the line by the handle, is right on the money and at 50g's. 1 serving.

IF you just dig in and do a rounded scoop to the top it averages 70g's being 70 carbs.

NOTE: Karbolyn is a 1 to 1 ratio carb to gram weight.

Last edited by Rich Knapp; 05-03-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
markievicz
markievicz
is a Squataholic
Max Brawn
Points: 12,261, Level: 72 Points: 12,261, Level: 72 Points: 12,261, Level: 72
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Summer Games 2005 Helsinki Champion!
Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

i never use the scoop provided by the tub i buy.
i have one scoop that i have had for years and its 50g , i just transfer it from tub to tub and that way i know where i am at,

excellent point though Rich

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
i never use the scoop provided by the tub i buy.
i have one scoop that i have had for years and its 50g , i just transfer it from tub to tub and that way i know where i am at,

excellent point though Rich
Your weight will very by density then so its not as accurate as you think.

Same scooper at a level line by the handle:
NF Pro scoop to the line. 10 grams.
IGF-33 (more dense whey powder) 20 grams.

Can you use the same box for a ton of rocks as you do for a ton of feathers?
But they both are a ton.

Share with Facebook