Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,449, Level: 80 Points: 15,449, Level: 80 Points: 15,449, Level: 80
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
My Mood: Aggressive
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Default So you've got diabetes. Now what?
by bruteforce 03-15-2012, 09:48 PM

So Youíve Got Diabetes.
Now What?

I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a week before I turned 24, we had just finished a huge project at the office, promotions all around, and then it happened. A routine check-up at the doctor, a word of warning, like they always had, about my weight. Routine blood work ordered. 2 days later, the man who helped save my life called and told me the news.

ďYouíre diabetic.Ē I was in shock. I was too young for something like that. Sure I was heavy, but lots of people are. I looked at my phone, put it back to my ear, and listened to more bad news. ďYour liver enzymes are high, your cholesterol is too high for us to get a good reading on, and your kidneys are failing. I wish I had better news, but I donít expect you to live more than three more years without medical assistance.Ē

I was stupefied. I was 23 for Peteís sake. I was immortal, invincible, and had the bushy beard to prove it. I was over 360 pounds and my blood sugar was staying over 300. I was dying.
It was the one time I came close to crying at work. I walked up the stairs to my bossís office, still not convinced I had heard it right. I knocked on the door and he waved me in. I can still remember being greeted by Guns Ďní Rosesí Sweet Child of Mine as I stepped into his office. We talked for a few minutes and he gave me the rest of the day off. Driving home, I had never felt so helpless.

I hadnít spoken to my family in years, at least not more than the cursory phone call every 6 months. But when I got home and had talked with my girlfriend for a good hour, I did what any scared young boy does. I called my mother.

She had been dealing with type II diabetes for the past 15 years. She counseled me on what questions to ask my doctor and diet plans that really work for people with metabolic disorders. More importantly, we reconciled as a family that day, but thatís not the point of this article.

Armed with a few resources, my doctor and I laid out a plan to get me healthier. It was an early diagnoses, he felt that it was likely I had been diabetic for less than a year. I was placed on Metformin and Lipitor as well as Prilosec for my interminable heartburn. A session with a dietician was set up for the following month. And thatís where I began to shine.

By the time I met with the dietician, I had already lost 35 pounds. By late May, 85 were gone. In January, I weight a paltry 215, down from at least 360 before. I say at least because thatís as heavy as the scale could measure. That January, I was taken off the last of my medication. And my blood work has been good ever since. My kidneys are fine, my liver couldnít be happier.

So what did I do? Itís simple, but difficult. A lot of you will say ďI could never do that.Ē Youíre right. You couldnít and thatís why you will die from horrible complications while I go on to compete in Strongman competitions. If you want to suck it up now and get healthy, hereís what worked for me.
  1. 1. Stop eating at restaurants. Stop it. Now. I donít care if theyíre approved by the medical board or your favorite talk show host. Itís poison.
  2. 2. Stop buying pre-made food. Seriously. Just stop.
  3. 3. Learn to cook. If you wonít do this, you deserve to lose your feet to the chopping block.
  4. 4. No more grain or starchy roots.
  5. 5. No more sugar. For every item you ask me about that has sugar in it, I will kidney punch you. Use some common sense and stop eating stuff thatís bad for you.
  6. 6. Eat your veggies. Theyíre healthy and you arenít. See the problem?
  7. 7. Red meat for strength. Chicken and fish are great, but donít be afraid of fatty meats. Dietary cholesterol isnít your problem, refined carbs are. Donít argue with me on this one, Iím the one that isnít diabetic anymore.
  8. 8. Drink lots of water. No more flavored drinks for you. Black coffee is fine.
  9. 9. Get off your butt and exercise. A 10 minute walk a day will make a difference.
  10. 10. As you lose weight, you will need to dial back your calories and you will be able to exercise more. Donít do the minimum, youíre trying to improve your life.
  11. 11. Itís your life. You are going to fall off the wagon and eat that large pizza. And the other one. And those nachos. Maybe some hot wings and a couple beers. Itís cool, it happens. Just pick yourself up and do better the next meal.
  12. 12. Start enjoying life. Thereís nothing better than feeling like youíre healthy again.

Lastly, remember, you have to change your life. If you go back to what you were before, youíll end up at the same place again. You deserve better.
Total Comments 5

Comments

Old 03-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,449, Level: 80 Points: 15,449, Level: 80 Points: 15,449, Level: 80
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

This won't apply to most of the members here, but we get a lot of lurkers. If even one person can benefit from this, I'm happy.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
wesrman
wesrman
has not a status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Chin Ups
My Mood: Inspired
wesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributor

Good post Brute.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I vote Sticky

I started Fit For the King after I started my own journey and began noticing the number of folks I was visiting in homes and hospitals killing themselves with weight related illnesses. I am still fighting the fight. Our cook on Wednesday night has a parent with Type II, who has already had multiple amputations due to his diabetes. Yet, after years of living with diabetics, mom is too and she and her sister are both probably also, she still cooks with heavy carbs and sugars. I am constantly imploring her to cut the carbs and add more greens to the Fellowship Suppers.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Muscletrainerdh
Muscletrainerdh
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 20+
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: DB Step Ups.. LOL:)
Fav Supp: F.O.O.D
My Mood: Cheeky
Muscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributor

Great Story and Advice!

Thanks for sharing!

Sarcasm and Cynicism are not helpful or attractive traits, respond to posts as you wish to be responded to.
Muscletrainerdh is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
My Mood: Lurking
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Great post brut.

When we get the news of having a disease we have to make a life change because we have to.

NOT saying here but in live. We go to help others and they say "Ya it was easy for you" or "Easier said than done."

That is far from the Truth. We had no choice. Either change or get worse or die. WE chose LIFE.

Its just a shame so many call us inspiring and motivational but yet they wait till it's them getting the new before they make a change.

^5 brut keep it up. Dedication to detail. Much respect.

I used to be stuburn, know it all, cocky and invincible pre my news also.

These are just my opinions.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook