Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Discus & Shot Put Strength Workout

I was asked what workout I would recommend for a discus or shot put athletes with no strength training background. My knee jerk in situations like this is to assemble a pull/squat/press fullbody and keep things simple.

Just wondering how you would structure a strength workout for this type of athlete and if there are any special movements you would include?

I am thinking the basics...squats, press (perhaps clean and press), dips, bench, heavy core work, etc.

Dan John utilizes a lot of loaded carry work, so I am wondering if that would be a good choice as well.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I normally just Google stuff because almost every sport has at least one online free training routine.

Canadian Throw Site: Discus, Javelin, Hammer, Shot Put News, Information, and Training Tips.

Shot Putt - Training Program

Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Someone mentioned that a medicine ball might be an option. I've never used one and don't know if it has value.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,053, Level: 79 Points: 15,053, Level: 79 Points: 15,053, Level: 79
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

From my point of view, it seems like there are a few good options.

1. Advanced shot putter or discuss thrower:
They should already know what they are doing and how to work out for their sport.

2. Intermediate:
Probably has a coach, but could use work on strength/speed. I would suggest full body routines based around olympic type lifts due to the speed involved in these movements.

3. Beginner:
They want to try out for the track and field team. Probably no where near their potential yet. Basic full body routine to bring up their top end strength to a decent level, some olympic work, but focusing on Squat, Pull, and Overhead Pressing.

These are all just to get their strength up. Someone will undoubtedly saw "There are no movements mimicking the throw, so you're an idiot Brute" to which I respond that weights are for getting stronger. If you want to mimic throwing, go throw something and work on technique that way.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
miked96
miked96
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,394, Level: 72 Points: 12,394, Level: 72 Points: 12,394, Level: 72
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Mood: Relaxed
miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

Strength Training for Throwers by Bill Starr

Starting Strength: Resources: Articles

Its under the Starr articles.
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,291, Level: 100 Points: 33,291, Level: 100 Points: 33,291, Level: 100
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I know that Ricky Bruch (Olympic medals in discus) did alot of Snatches, Cleans, squats and pushpresses when training for shot put and discus. Lots of explosive training.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Sprints and Jumps?
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
wesrman
wesrman
has not a status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Chin Ups
My Mood: Inspired
wesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributor

Ross Enamait does an exercise where he actually shot puts a dumbell, then runs to it and does it again. Could help with explosiveness.

Last edited by wesrman; 03-12-2012 at 08:33 PM.
wesrman is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
I know that Ricky Bruch (Olympic medals in discus) did alot of Snatches, Cleans, squats and pushpresses when training for shot put and discus. Lots of explosive training.
He was an absolute beast, some youtube clips floating around of him and he does some very intense lifting. Mostly Oly lifts and Squats from what I've seen.

Very big lad, looked like a trim Geoff Capes.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
Jamesw
Jamesw
who turned out the lights?
Brawn
Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: plyo pistol
Jamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributor

I would imagine anything geared for power. Maybe the basics with some explosive stuff thrown in like power cleans. Maybe up the cadence on the basic lifts?
"When I see guys working out for cosmetic reasons, I see vanity exposing them in the worst way, as cartoon characters, billboards for imbalance and insecurity. Strength reveals itself through character." -Henry Rollins
Jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook