Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,291, Level: 100 Points: 33,291, Level: 100 Points: 33,291, Level: 100
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Default Shoulder Rehab/Prehab Question

So, a couple of years ago I hurt my left shoulder when doing lying DB Presses. Worked my way back and was able to press again in a couple of months, but since then my left side has been weaker and my left collarbone is somewhat higher than my right (you can actually see it sticking out more on the left side)

Now and then ever since my left shoulder has been bugging me some, nothing major and it usually goes away by resting from pressing movements for a a couple of days.

My Benchpress has finally started to move up, but when I press heavy, my left arm tends to flare halfway through the lift, making me fail or grind alot, and it also hurts a bit in the shoulder/collarbone area, and aferwards hurts to raise my arm above shoulder level. I now am looking for your advices on this - what exercises should I do to prehab/rehab this, and to build strength in my left R/C or shoulder? Anything that can be done with bands at home?

Im pretty new to this kind of training (prehab/rehab) so I would appreciate all suggestions, but preferably from experience =)

Thanks fellas.

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,221, Level: 100 Points: 36,221, Level: 100 Points: 36,221, Level: 100
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Sounds like you have an impingement. If you can see a good physio, do it. If not you'll want to release all of the tension that is probably in your upper back and chest through foam/PVC rolling and then using a hard ball (hockey, lacrosse, golf) to really work in there and release the knots. Once you've done this, coat yourself in tiger balm or another heat rub.

If the problem is just the tightness pulling your shoulder up and out of place, this will really help. If, however, you have a proper impingement you'll need to see a professional to get it released.

Let me know if you have any other questions on the above.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
ricka182
ricka182
is taking small steps.. then GIANT leaps to domination!!!
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Archery 2000 Champion! Fish Eat Fish Champion! Power Driver Champion! Yeti Sports 1 Greece Champion! Penguinoids Champion!
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
My Mood: Sick
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

I have a moderate impingment in my left shoulder as well. Just got a cortisone shot for it. I would just go see a Doctor and get an MRI to make sure it's nothing more serious. Some light PT might help, but rest might be the best case. I wish I rested earlier, and then didn't wait to see the Doctor for 3 weeks.

Cortisone shots suck for the first day or so....
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Ryano
Ryano
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,801, Level: 49 Points: 5,801, Level: 49 Points: 5,801, Level: 49
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Before you go to the expense on an MRI I would go to a competent Chiropractor certified in either ART or Graston massage. They can give you the exercise program you're wanting and maybe rehab it without any other treatment.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
dmaipa
dmaipa
focused and ready
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Inspired
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Here are a few things to take in from Mike Robertson..he knows his shit!

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
gaspers04
gaspers04
is "Thickneck McBenchpress"
Max Brawn
Points: 16,960, Level: 83 Points: 16,960, Level: 83 Points: 16,960, Level: 83
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Brooding
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
Before you go to the expense on an MRI I would go to a competent Chiropractor certified in either ART or Graston massage. They can give you the exercise program you're wanting and maybe rehab it without any other treatment.
We are in the same local, got any suggestions?

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Ryano
Ryano
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,801, Level: 49 Points: 5,801, Level: 49 Points: 5,801, Level: 49
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

I went to the Back Institute in Forsythe,IL. Not far from me. Just google it and there should be some websites that list certified people in your area.

http://www.grastontechnique.com/

Last edited by Ryano; 03-05-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Ryano is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #8
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,291, Level: 100 Points: 33,291, Level: 100 Points: 33,291, Level: 100

big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Thanks everyone for the great advices, gave me something to work with!

Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2012, 02:41 AM   #9
Pull14
Pull14
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Late to the game, but I second LtL and dmaipa's posts. Soft tissue work and increases in flexibility go a lonnggggg way. I had/have very similar issues and symptoms... mostly with horizontal pressing but it'll pop up from time to time with overhead work. Simply working the crap out of the shoulder with a lacrosse ball and increasing mobility has left me for the most part pain free. Stretching out the lats also seems to help quite a bit...
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn

What do you think about doing a light stretch routine before bedtime every night, and mobility/prehab exercises to go with that?

Im thinking light band pullaparts and the Shoulder flexibility exercise that dmaipa posted in the above post.

Suggestions?

Share with Facebook