Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
backinbusiness
backinbusiness
has no status.
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

backinbusiness is off to a bad start
Default Have I even made progress?

Hey guys...

I just got done reading John Christy's great thread and feel like I have a new perspective to start again and try hard to reach my goals now....
Here's my history of weightlifting:

2006 -- the beginning: 135lbs 5ft 9
bench: 3x5x55lbs
squat: 3x5x65lbs
dead: 3x5x65lbs

September 2010 -- the peak: 145lbs 5ft 9
bench: 3x5x195lbs (1RM 240lbs)
squat: 3x5x255lbs (1RM 305lbs)
dead: 3x5x285lbs (1RM 310lbs)

(back injury due to job for the last 18months) so this is my starting point going forward below:
March 2012: 135lbs 5ft 9
bench: 3x5x135lbs
squat: 3x5x135lbs
dead: 3x5x135lbs

After the back injury, I am a little discouraged because I am looking back at what I personally see as pretty poor progress -- not from a strength standpoint, but a weight standpoint. 10lbs weight gain in 4 years is unacceptable. It seems my body's natural equilibrium is 135lbs...I want to be 165-170lbs -- That's where I want to be, but it seems my body doesn't want to respond. I think this is a fresh start for me here. I have lost weight and lost strength so I want a new regime (John Christy's thread takes care of this) and a new perspective on everything.

Obviously the problem is diet related...not much to say here other than I need to eat more. That's about it...

But I still don't understand why I previously have been able to gain that much strength with basically putting no body weight on whatsoever. What can I do to make BOTH progress better going forward?

I have lost a lot of size in my back due to the injury, so I think I am partly not motivated because my back has fallen behind everything else (hence why my bench is of equal strength to my back right now from the gym yesterday!!).

Any input on this?

Last edited by backinbusiness; 03-02-2012 at 10:37 AM.
backinbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,352,851, Level: 100 Points: 1,352,851, Level: 100 Points: 1,352,851, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinbusiness View Post
Obviously the problem is diet related...not much to say here other than I need to eat more.
Well you did make good strength gains while "only" at 145. I hesitate to say only, because you were moving a good amount of weight pound for pound.

First off, great job in getting to the levels you were at in 2010. One good thing is that climbing back up the mountain will be easier this time around.

Quote:
But I still don't understand why I previously have been able to gain that much strength with basically putting no body weight on whatsoever. What can I do to make BOTH progress better going forward?
People can get pretty strong without adding a lot of weight. We have a 165 pound powerlifter here who deadlifts close to 600. Your strength gain is a testament to your dedication and consistency.

I am assuming your primary goals are muscle building, since this is in the muscle building forum. I would say that really the only thing missing from the equation for you is the addition of some extra calories per day.

This in combination with your work ethic will yield some very good progress. If you can get your bench, squat and deadlift to 300, 400 and 500 while getting your weight up to 165 to 185 I think you will be pleased with the result.

One thing that can help us help you is if you could present more information on how you generally eat when you train...what your habits are, what types of foods you eat, when you eat, that sort of thing. Once we understand your patterns and preferences hopefully we can make some minor suggestions that will make a big difference.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
backinbusiness
backinbusiness
has no status.

Thanks for the reply.

Right before my peak, I was fighting to keep intake at 3000 calories per day. I find the problem is quantity...I cannot find (other than my shake below) enough dense food to meet the 3k/day that I attempted. I would usually fall into the 2600-2800 range (using fitday.com as the calculator). Clean foods, no junk. I find junk foods slow me down and make me feel less energetic.

The majority of my calories would come from one shake every day at night...I usually do cup of oats, 2 cups milk, Myofusion protein, banana, peanut butter and olive oil...adds up to be ~1k calories.

With my schedule, I find it hard to eat 5-6x a day...so I try 3x big meals and attempt to snack in between, but I struggle. I just find that every QUALITY meal is ~600 calories, so 1800 + the shake = 2800.

I could definitely work on my breakfast...I usually just eat some cereal+milk/oats + OJ in the AM...that's the honest truth. Maybe I should get a shake ready to go every morning...

Last edited by backinbusiness; 03-02-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,352,851, Level: 100 Points: 1,352,851, Level: 100 Points: 1,352,851, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

500-750 extra calories per day would probably go a long way. Here are my general recommendations for healthy calorie dense additions. Even a few of these would add a quality amount of calories.

--A big handful or two (or three) of almonds per day.
--Some butter on your veggies. A little goes a long way and adds plenty of calories. Plus butter is packed with good nutrition.
--Whole milk instead of what you are drinking now...if you're not drinking whole milk.
--Add 2 dollops of sour cream to every possible meal.
--Add cheese to every possible meal.
--Rotate in plenty of beef each week.
--Add a little heavy cream to your shake.
--Buy fewer lean cuts of meat.
--Bacon strips. Bacon strips. Bacon strips. Seriously though, most grocery stores sell bacon bits and pieces in 3 to 5 pound bags, and these are great additions to many meals.
--Add a dollop or two of mascarpone to your shake. It hides well, is used in desserts, and packs a lot of calories.
--Natural sausage, skin and organ meat.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-02-2012 at 12:12 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
backinbusiness
backinbusiness
has no status.

Looks like I'm going shopping today!

Thanks for the input.

What should I goal myself at each month to get back to where I was? Is a year realistic to get back to where I used to be? I just want to know so I have a track to follow.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Definite signs of progress BiB and take it as a good sign you're getting stronger at a lean bodyweight, you don't need to be 200lbs+ to be physically impressive so don't be in any rush to gain weight.

Someone recently made the comment to me that a calorie surplus of 100 or 1000 will both be fine, as long as you are indeed getting that surplus. The latter will of course result in more weight gain but it may not all be muscle. So again don't be in any major rush, I would look for as slow as 1lbs a week for a few months then perhaps more like 1lb every 2 weeks.

Lastly with those numbers at that bodyweight, you may well have some decent Powerlifting potential
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
emekajokammor
emekajokammor
is doin work
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
My Mood: Inspired
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

Welcome to the forum BackinBiz

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
flow
flow
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

flow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good posts

We had this discussion with Casey in his forum regarding pressing strength and diet.

It seems that folks loose a good amount of pressing strength during diet. But other lifts like pulling (deads,rows) are less effected or even icreased.

We have found no idea why this is the case.
But it sucks.
flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
flow
flow
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

flow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
500-750 extra calories per day would probably go a long way. Here are my general recommendations for healthy calorie dense additions. Even a few of these would add a quality amount of calories.

--A big handful or two (or three) of almonds per day.
--Some butter on your veggies. A little goes a long way and adds plenty of calories. Plus butter is packed with good nutrition.
--Whole milk instead of what you are drinking now...if you're not drinking whole milk.
--Add 2 dollops of sour cream to every possible meal.
--Add cheese to every possible meal.
--Rotate in plenty of beef each week.
--Add a little heavy cream to your shake.
--Buy fewer lean cuts of meat.
--Bacon strips. Bacon strips. Bacon strips. Seriously though, most grocery stores sell bacon bits and pieces in 3 to 5 pound bags, and these are great additions to many meals.
--Add a dollop or two of mascarpone to your shake. It hides well, is used in desserts, and packs a lot of calories.
--Natural sausage, skin and organ meat.
Wow how to get kcals would be my LEAST worry in MY diet- i can eat all day

+cue: some oil in the shake. One Tablespoon equals about 75kcals. You won´t taste it or it will taste EVEN BETTER. (remember fat is a taste transporter)
flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
backinbusiness
backinbusiness
has no status.

Here is my final workout regime and goals:

Goals by end of 2012:
Bodyweight: 160lbs
Bench: 3x6 195lbs
Deadlift: 3x6 285lbs
Squat: 3x6 225lbs
3200 calories per day.

Routine: 2 day split

Workout A:
Situps: 1 x 12
Squat: 3 x 6-12
Back Extension: 1 x 15
Bench Press: 3 x 6-12
Pull Down's: 3 x 12
Calf Raises: 1 x 12
Static Grip: 1 x 60sec

Workout B:
Side Bends: 1 x 12
Deadlift: 3 x 6-12
Military Press: 3 x 6-12
Barbell Curls: 3 x 6-12
Closegrip Bench: 3 x 6-12
Wrist Curls: 1 x 15

Did workout A last Thursday 3/1/12

3/6/12 Workout B weigh in 135lbs
SB: BW 1x12
Dead: 135lbs warmup 3x6 185lbs
Military press: 2x8 75lbs, 1x6 75lbs
BB Curls: 3x8 40lbs
Closegrip Bench: 3x8 115lbs
Wrist curls: 1x15 15lbs

------

After some good stretching today for workout B I managed to easily put up 3 sets of 6x185lbs on deadlift so felt good...lower back seems to be fully healed and it didn't feel uneasy at all.

My military press is awful though -- 3x8 75lbs. Felt like it was more a lack of supporting muscles than strength...just gotta keep at it although the plates on each side make me look pretty pathetic!!!

The scoops of ice cream in the shake seem to be working good. It doesn't feel heavier, but its adding 300 calories each shake, so hopefully that helps.

Last edited by backinbusiness; 03-06-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Share with Facebook