Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Max
Max
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 336, Level: 6 Points: 336, Level: 6 Points: 336, Level: 6
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Mood: Daring
Max has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good posts
Default "S.A.I.S

S.A.I.S (Specific Adaption to Imposed Stress).... Just curious if anyone's familiar with this training principal?
Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,274, Level: 79 Points: 15,274, Level: 79 Points: 15,274, Level: 79
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Sounds along the lines of "work it hard and it will get stronger", just a fancy name and acronym.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,514,118, Level: 100 Points: 1,514,118, Level: 100 Points: 1,514,118, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
S.A.I.S (Specific Adaption to Imposed Stress).... Just curious if anyone's familiar with this training principal?
Yes, we've had numerous discussion on SAID or SAIS and reference it quite often.

Any specific questions you have regarding it?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,340, Level: 96 Points: 26,340, Level: 96 Points: 26,340, Level: 96
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Yes, we've had numerous discussion on SAID or SAIS and reference it quite often.

Any specific questions you have regarding it?
Really? hmmm... I don't remember any of what was SAID!

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Max
Max
has no status.
Brawn

Max has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good posts

I tried to search the forums but it said no match. Do you know if it works and what type of lifter is it recommended for? I mean will it still promote strength or geared more toward size?

Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

SAID is a not any specific routine or program, so it doesn't make sense for you to ask if it works or who it's recommended for and certainly it in itself has nothing to do with the strength/size issue. It is the principle which explains that exercise induced adaptations are specific to the exercise done.

As Bendthebar said we (especially him and I) have had plenty of discussions which have taken into consideration SAID, so what exactly did you want to know?

Bamazav, love it lol
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
Max
Max
has no status.
Brawn

nevermind....sorry for asking such an asinine question.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I didn't think it was asinine, but as both myself and Btb said you need to ask what it is specifically you want to know.

SAID is not a 'training principle' per'se. It is a general biological principle which attempts to explain adaption to stress. Just like the General Adaption Syndrome. I could guess at what you're meaning to ask, but that's all it would be a guess. As suggested, be specific.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,514,118, Level: 100 Points: 1,514,118, Level: 100 Points: 1,514,118, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
nevermind....sorry for asking such an asinine question.
It's ok Max, we're all learning. The more questions the better.

Every action, lift, etc. taxes the body in a unique way. This stress will force the body to respond in a very unique way.

When you start a new physical activity there will be a break in period where your body is adapting to the specific demands of the program. You will gain a specific form of conditioning, endurance, etc. that is unique to the activity/program. Once you have gained a certain level of adaptation, it will becomes easier to focus on improving performance.

For example...running.

Break-in adaptation - You spend 2 months trying to run 2 miles without stopping or passing out. While you are improving performance, what you're really trying to do is reach a minimum level of proficiency.

Improving Performance - Now that you can actually run 2 miles, you begin to train specifically for performance. You body has adapted to the specific demands of running 2 miles, so you begin the performance journey to see how much you can improve your speed.

One could argue that this I am over-complicating things and that the entire curve is simply improving performance. True, but the first stage is more about surviving and the second stage is about thriving.

In the context of lifting, any time you attempt to add volume or change to a new system you should allow a break-in period where you "build into" the program. Bring up your conditioning and then push.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-28-2012 at 02:17 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Every action, lift, etc. taxes the body in a unique way. This stress will force the body to respond in a very unique way.
Good examples Btb, SAID is often contrasted to GAS (which is actually the older of the two). Unlike SAID, GAS states that the body goes through three stages of physical adaptation:

1) Alarm. This is the initial state, for us this refers to actual gym time.

2) Resistance. This is persistent stress, we can consider this the repeated exposure to stress. For us this refers to our weekly/monthly training. At this stage it is necessary to adapt to the stress and the body takes measures to do so.

3) Exhaustion. A very advanced state of stress, what we might call true overtraining. Normal function is not possible and if this is prolonged, eventually many unpleasant things happen here.

Share with Facebook