Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor
Default Beginner Barbel Training
by MVP 02-20-2012, 04:50 PM

Beginner Barbell Training:

A routine designed by MVP for novice weightlifters.

Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but no one wants to lift heavy ass weight. - Ronnie Coleman

Introduction

The "Beginner Strength Routine" is a designed routine programmed to create balance in structure for most individuals that suffer from lack of results and imbalance in the cause of lack of research on properly balanced exercises and obsessive use of isolation movements. Proper stretches of overactive muscles and development of their antagonists. The routine contains a squat, a deadlift, a horizontal and vertical push and pull, and direct core and rotator cuff work along with stretches for the shoulders. Since rotator cuff injury from bench press enthusiasts are the most common form of injury in the gym - I have included direct rotator cuff work at the beginning of each session and instructions on how to properly perform these movements at the bottom of the page. Keep with these movements and this routine until you can no longer progress once or twice per week on the lifts. Until you develop imbalance or need to start periodizing or specializing.

Compound Movements

Working out has to do with working multiple muscles and this is utilized through the use of compound exercises. A Compound exercise is an exercise that recruits multiple joints to perform. Examples of compound exercises are squats, deadlifts, overhead presses and barbell rows. Examples of isolation exercises, which are intended to target a specific joint in order to develop a lagging muscle, are lateral raises, bicep curls, leg extensions and calf raises. Compound movements are better in every way. There's no dispute. Isolation movements do serve a purpose, but that is for later on down the road. I want everyone reading this article to know that I do NOT under any circumstance want additional movements brought in. You may be thinking to yourself right now "well adding in accessory exercises will just have positive carryover into the other exercises". While this statement is true, it is also counterproductive in the sense that it will develop imbalanced muscles. People who like to isolate muscles do not allow muscular development to occur as a whole. You must understand that isolations are intended to assist compounds in bringing up lagging muscle groups. When your triceps begin failing during bench presses, you should isolate your triceps at the end of your workouts and get their strength up. You should not incorporate direct movements for every muscle of the human body first and foremost. Beginners do not need the extra work.

Progressive Resistance

Progressive resistance is the principle cause of muscular development for beginner weight lifters. "Progressive" referring to constant and "resistance" referring to the amount of stress placed on the muscle through adding weight. Lifting weights alone will not make you stronger; you have to add weight in order to continue to grow and get stronger. Spending a whole year bench pressing 185 lbs will only increase your capacity to perform reps with 185 lbs. You have to add weight each workout, and with proper caloric consumption for the first few dozen sessions you will be able to do so. Always start with a very easy weight; never train to absolute failure on your first workout. First of all, you have to program your body through motor pattern how to adjust your form. Meaning, getting used to training properly with proper form so it becomes natural for your body to lift weights and move in the correct way. Each workout you need to add weight; start with a weight you can perform with relatively no strain. Each session add 5-10 lbs depending on the lift and focus on eating enough calories to assure you are gaining weight when you're not in the gym. If you do not add weight each workout, you are failing to increase the overload of the muscle and as a result, you do not gain anything.

Machines

Machines disable proper motor pattern, as mentioned in the previous paragraph. "Motor pattern" refers to the process in which the peripheral nervous system sends impulses towards the central nervous system through the spine to change its natural movement pattern accordingly. If you are using machines, you are not allowing proper stabilizer maturity to develop and as a result you are forcing your body to lift weights and move unnaturally and improperly. You must remember that when you set down at the dinning room table you don't have rails guiding your ass and nor do you need them. Stabilizer muscles allow functional carryover into actives outside of the gym where stabilizer maturity is needed. In any case, machines can be useful if the client or trainee has developed a condition that prevents them from placing heavy loads on particular areas (in the case of rehabilitation). Isolations and machines are dangerous for development of imbalance, so until you need to perform movements that needs extra work in particular areas isolation should be avoided.

The Routine

Workout A:
1) Cuban Rotations: 3x10
2) Squat: 3x5
3) Bench Press: 3x5
4) Barbell Row: 3x5
5) Chinups: 3xf
6) Weighted Leg Raise: 3x10
7) Doorway Stretch: 3 x 12 seconds

Workout B:
1) Poor Mans Shoulder Horn: 3x10
2) Squat: 3x5
3) OHP: 3x5
4) Pullup: 3xf
5) Deadlift: 1x5 (ramping sets)
6) Suitcase Deadlift: 3x10
7) Doorway Stretch: 3 x 12 seconds

Comments on the weighted leg raises: make sure you squeeze the glutes during the concentric contraction so you are disabling use of hip flexor activity and reducing the risk of an anterior pelvic tilt as the result of overactive hip flexors and underactive hip extensors.

Good luck and ask any questions that you need. For supplements: whey protein and a multi-vitamin is good. Try to consume a lot of vitamin C pre and post workout to reduce cortisol (catabolic hormone) elevation during protein synthesis. You can include a ZMA stack if you wish.

Squat Technique Demonstration:
1)

OHP Demonstration:
1)
2)

Bench Press Demonstration:
1)
--- I apologize for the language at the beginning.

Barbell Row Demonstration:
1)
--- go slower during the concentric phase than this and pause at the top

Pullup Demonstration:
1)
--- always fully extend the arms between each reps with a pause at the bottom; no momentum

Cuban Rotation Demonstration:
1)
--- Ignore the ignorant introduction.
Views 903 Comments 3
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 3

Comments

Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100 Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100 Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Ran this on Facebook today.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I like that you included the rotator cuff exercises each day. That's something that many of the Hardgainer writers would always include too, but you don't see too often these days.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
MVP
MVP
Leaner, Stronger, Faster
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19

Training Exp: +8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Syntha 6
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Ran this on Facebook today.
Thanks. I'm glad I can positively contribute to this forum. I've been doing a lot of reading on threads and such and I really think I will like it here. I like the laid back environment and you just so happen to post basically all of my favorite training methods and routines under the "training type" part of the profile. Thumbs up!

Quote:
I like that you included the rotator cuff exercises each day. That's something that many of the Hardgainer writers would always include too, but you don't see too often these days.
Yeah I'm a big fan of rotator cuff training. A lot of people neglect their shoulder health and their pressing and even pulling movements often suffer from it. I do rotator cuff more frequently than any type of training. I've seen firsthand just how beneficial training those four essential muscles are in your shoulder. Thanks for the comment!

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook