Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
titus_teen
titus_teen
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 739, Level: 14 Points: 739, Level: 14 Points: 739, Level: 14
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

titus_teen is off to a good starttitus_teen is off to a good starttitus_teen is off to a good start
Default Biggest Mistakes Teens Make

I am just wondering if anyone knows of the biggest mistakes that teen body builders make? I am only 16 and I do not want to make them because I would like to be able to succeed in my weight lifting.
titus_teen is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Pull14
Pull14
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Recreation or competitive?

For the majority of recreation lifters who's goals center around bodybuilding, the most predominate mistakes I see are...

1) to little focus on strength
2) no planned progression or lacking methods to monitor progression
3) bloated templates: perform way to many lifts that have a whole lot of, and unnecessary overlap.
4) Machine, cable exercises and "accessory" lifts are turned into the main lifts while movements such as squats, press, deads, gm's, etc. are babied or not even used.
5) training mentality... they workout, they don't train.
6) to much time and energy spent on the stupid crap: pre-, peri-, post workout meals, supplements, rest intervals, pre-fatiguing muscles, etc.
7) fail at dieting: eat to little, eat to much, or eats to much bad food. Supplementation is thought of as a cure all and not a supplement.
8) poor consistency in everything: diet, getting in the gym, programming...

This is more or less the problems you see with any beginner, but those in there teens are for the most part new. To get good, always be consistent, work hard, keep a log, take a SIMPLE and brief approach to training (brief in terms of exercise selection per session), commit to your goals and if something isn't working, find the problem don't change your goal or compromise. Read everything and keep an open mind, but don't believe everything you read and hear. Commit to your principles of training, but again keep an open mind and make changes when needed - sometimes you gotta bite the bullet.

Last edited by Pull14; 02-17-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
Spartigus
Spartigus
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
My Mood: Sleepy
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

I agree with Pull. One mistake I made (in addition to all of the ones Pull mentions) was listening to other people who knew nothing about lifting. The worst thing is when a group of guys who all have terrible routines/training/ect and they all reinforce eachothers bad habits, then said people start giving advice to newer guys. The newer guys dont know any better and listen.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training – and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
titus_teen
titus_teen
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 739, Level: 14 Points: 739, Level: 14 Points: 739, Level: 14

titus_teen is off to a good starttitus_teen is off to a good starttitus_teen is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull14 View Post
Recreation or competitive?

For the majority of recreation lifters who's goals center around bodybuilding, the most predominate mistakes I see are...

1) to little focus on strength
2) no planned progression or lacking methods to monitor progression
3) bloated templates: perform way to many lifts that have a whole lot of, and unnecessary overlap.
4) Machine, cable exercises and "accessory" lifts are turned into the main lifts while movements such as squats, press, deads, gm's, etc. are babied or not even used.
5) training mentality... they workout, they don't train.
6) to much time and energy spent on the stupid crap: pre-, peri-, post workout meals, supplements, rest intervals, pre-fatiguing muscles, etc.
7) fail at dieting: eat to little, eat to much, or eats to much bad food. Supplementation is thought of as a cure all and not a supplement.
8) poor consistency in everything: diet, getting in the gym, programming...

This is more or less the problems you see with any beginner, but those in there teens are for the most part new. To get good, always be consistent, work hard, keep a log, take a SIMPLE and brief approach to training (brief in terms of exercise selection per session), commit to your goals and if something isn't working, find the problem don't change your goal or compromise. Read everything and keep an open mind, but don't believe everything you read and hear. Commit to your principles of training, but again keep an open mind and make changes when needed - sometimes you gotta bite the bullet.
I am just doing it for recreation right now. Maybe some day I will be strong enough to do it for a competition.
titus_teen is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Chillen
Chillen
Current Pic/Nov 30th, 2012: Rocken Lean
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
My Mood: Inspired
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

At 16 years old, most at this age can get easily influenced and sometimes misdirected. Decipher fitness information intelligently, learn the basic fundamentals of weight lifting and dietary mechanics, as these will provide the base of your accomplishments and provide the foundation to allow more advanced methods to work.

And, this will allow you to view BS when you read it.

Peace and happiness to you, young man.

Chillen

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
TitanCT
TitanCT
throwing iron and eating pizza.
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67

My Mood: Aggressive
TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

number one mistake youngins make.

- they think they know it all and pretty much ignore older, bigger, wiser, people.

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Learn.Apply.Grow

www.advancedmusclescience.com

ForeRunnerLabs
www.forerunnerlabs.com/

The Lab
www.advancedmusclesciencelab.com//

"Abs on a skinny guy are like big boobs on a fat chick - they don't count." -Shelby Starnes
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
My Mood: Lurking
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCT View Post
number one mistake youngins make.

- they think they know it all and pretty much ignore older, bigger, wiser, people.
Added to this.

They liston to "know it all gym rats buddies" rather than people that have been there with success.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
TitanCT
TitanCT
throwing iron and eating pizza.
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67

My Mood: Aggressive
TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

everyone has their way but it only works if you do it 100% there way. no mix n match kiddies. find a trainer or mentor you trust and do what they say to a "T" until you know better yourself, how your body works, reacts, etc.

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Learn.Apply.Grow

www.advancedmusclescience.com

ForeRunnerLabs
www.forerunnerlabs.com/

The Lab
www.advancedmusclesciencelab.com//

"Abs on a skinny guy are like big boobs on a fat chick - they don't count." -Shelby Starnes
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook