Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
mudrunner
mudrunner
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,240, Level: 19 Points: 1,240, Level: 19 Points: 1,240, Level: 19
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

mudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good posts
Default Artificial sweetners

Are artificial sweetners good for me? I drink a lot of tea but hate to load it up with sugar. I have been using Splenda and like it but was not sure it if was good for me or not.
mudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
My Mood: Lurking
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
Are artificial sweetners good for me? I drink a lot of tea but hate to load it up with sugar. I have been using Splenda and like it but was not sure it if was good for me or not.
There is NO solid evidence either way.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
TitanCT
TitanCT
throwing iron and eating pizza.
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Mood: Aggressive
TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Speaking as a bodybuilder, as in appearance driven. Spelnda can bloat some people, most i know prefer truvia. That said, the artifical sweeteners are def broken down differently in your body than sugar.
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Chillen
Chillen
Current Pic/Nov 30th, 2012: Rocken Lean
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
My Mood: Inspired
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
Why are you personally using an artificial sweetener?

I use artificial sweeteners for a couple of important reasons and separate foods/drinks into two difference categories: Strategic Benefit and Health Benefit. The post would be far to long to explain this.

Insulin tends to get a bad name because most really do not understand that Insulin is actually a multidimensional hormone that performs a variety of functions other than stabilizing blood sugar levels and an assistant in storage. One of the other beneficial uses of Insulin is shuttling important nutrients (and other things) into cells, where needed, and its just not simply a fat storage hormone.

I bring the above up, because whether some choose to believe it or not, stabilizing ones blood sugar levels (especially in-between meals), is ONE key in stabilizing one's hunger cravings. And, one needs to be proactive and aggressive in understanding hunger in order to defeat this enemy in ones deficit diet, and blood sugar level, is only one component in the overall equation.

Therefore, I will sometimes use an artificial sweetener (such as in coffee), for the times I do not want a blood sugar spike, and this has served me rather well, though there is some "papers" on Splenda in which suggest it does effect blood sugar to a degree. If this is true, it is not on the same playing field as regular table sugar (at least with me).

In reference to Splenda, do some research on the net, and come to your own personal conclusions. What I will say is apply some common sense, and ask yourself this question: Was the body meant to consume bleached white and granulated sugar in which is encased in a chlorine molecule (to put it simple), so the body will not recognize it as a calorie source or sugar, and just pass through the digestive tract? Most would say no.

Likewise, I had a grandfather whom lived to 92 years old. He drank a lot of coffee, loved his sugary foods (mostly bleached white sugar), fatty meats, and his Hershey's candy. Some persons are more genetically preconditioned to handle certain foods better than others. The problem is we do not know where we are individually.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
bikx43
bikx43
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 172, Level: 3 Points: 172, Level: 3 Points: 172, Level: 3
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

bikx43 is off to a bad start

I have never used them. I just reach for the sugar. I find they leave a bad aftertaste in my mouth.
bikx43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook