Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #21
austin.j.taylor
austin.j.taylor
does wayyy too many strongman contests
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple X View Post
Tons of good info in here! Thabks for all the replys guys. But i still havent got my particular answer... to be more specific. I ate bacon and eggs. I have no doub that eggs are great. I am curious on the bacon though... some say its a health nightmare, some say its great. I even cooked my eggs in the bacon grease. Did i do my body a favor or a disservice by upping the fat content of the meal? (Excluding the fact that my bacon wasnt "grass fed"). do they even do grass fed pork? The eggs were free range, cage free
Unless you have pre or normal hypertension, nothing in the bacon is going to hurt you. Bacon is rich in saturated fats and sodium. Saturated fats are essential to living and sodium isnt terrible provided you drink enough water. I find that I am happier and over eat less when I consume more saturated fats. Plus it tastes awesome.

edit: I eat bacon and eggs nearly every morning and I am currently cutting. The more fats I eat, the better I feel while in a calorie deficit.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty

Last edited by austin.j.taylor; 02-11-2012 at 09:22 AM.
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #22
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

From my research it's sodium-potassium balance that is most important. I eat a high sodium diet but also make sure I eat foods that are rich in potassium.

If you Google "Blood Pressure Sodium Potassium Balance" you can find a wealth of info on this.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #23
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,553, Level: 78 Points: 14,553, Level: 78 Points: 14,553, Level: 78
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor View Post
The more fats I eat, the better I feel while in a calorie deficit.
Agreed!
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #24
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 128,674, Level: 100 Points: 128,674, Level: 100 Points: 128,674, Level: 100
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCT View Post
High content of probiotics for digestion, sir. But leqve out the fruit and go greek yogurt.

As far as fats. john meadows consumes high fats, including tons of whole eggs, beef, and butter. Among other tngs. The trick is his butter and beef come fro grass fed cows. He also maintains aeound 8% body fat year round, despite consuming high fat and high cholesterol foods.
Probiotics aren't necessary for digestion. Unless there's some sort of medical condition, the colon does just fine with its own bacterial flora. Claims that yoghurt help digestion are just marketing hype.

As for John Meadows: I didn't see any claim on the thread that fat intake was related to becoming fat. That aside, I'm puzzled as to how eating fats from grass-fed cows, specifically, has any impact at all on his 8% body fat, year-round. How does that work, then? A gram of fat has the same calorific value if it came from a happy healthful cow or one kept in a basement and fed on steroids and cardboard.

If he ate 1500 more calories a day from grass fed cows, he wouldn't maintain 8% bodyfat for long.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #25
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 128,674, Level: 100 Points: 128,674, Level: 100 Points: 128,674, Level: 100
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Tons of good info in here! Thabks for all the replys guys. But i still havent got my particular answer... to be more specific. I ate bacon and eggs. I have no doub that eggs are great. I am curious on the bacon though... some say its a health nightmare, some say its great. I even cooked my eggs in the bacon grease. Did i do my body a favor or a disservice by upping the fat content of the meal? (Excluding the fact that my bacon wasnt "grass fed"). do they even do grass fed pork? The eggs were free range, cage free
As I said earlier, if you control every other factor and replace saturated fats (like those in bacon) with healthful ones, the current best evidence is that there is a modest increase in life expectancy.

You can't really go on anecdotal evidence (e.g. 'I feel better when I eat bacon' So what? Lots of people feel better when they smoke) or comments about needing fat and sodium (again: so what? It's like telling someone on the Titanic that the body needs water).

However, you have to view it within the context of your whole diet and lifestyle. Yes, bacon is a high-sodium, high saturated fat food, and there is strong evidence linking both of those with early mortality. But it's not as simple as that. As Steve quite rightly says, potassium intake can help redress some of the problems of a high sodium diet. If you maintain lower bodyfat and visceral fat (as you obviously do, from your avatar), then that's a massive plus too.

And moderation in all things. I love bacon, and a life without bacon - even a long one - would be scarcely worth living.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #26
Disciple X
Disciple X
SMASH WEIGHT!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Beach Sudoku Champion!
My Mood: Inspired
Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine

Soooo,

The next time i cook up 6 eggs and a half pound of bacon, i should:
A- throw the bacon grease out and tamp the extra grease off my bacon.
Or
B- Cook the eggs in the bacon grease like last time.

Only reason i'm being so picky about the answer is i will be eating this meal a lot as i will be getting all the free range cage free eggs i can pack down ( family raises chickens) and you cant eat eggs without bacon

I could care less taste wise if i dump the grease or eat it...
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #27
Shadowschmadow
Shadowschmadow
aka El Cappy-Tan
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Snotput Champion! Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
My Mood: Tired
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I will stand firmly by my point...the move to a diet filled with known unhealthy processed ingredients and additives is at the root cause of most of society's modern health issues.

I disagree. Processed foods, grass fed vs grain fed, glycemic indexes, etc. are all really insignificant in comparison to being over-weight, caused by excessive caloric intake. There are a lot of things that can be argued in either direction when it comes to what is healthy or adequate intake, but one thing that cannot be argued is all of the health problems and predispositions caused by simply being over-weight (and more often, obese).

There is nothing that research has ever proven to have a stronger relationship to CHD like inflammation.

And for whatever it may be worth to you, as I am aware of our nutritional differences, I don't like Weston Price. I've been on his site and read several articles from there. At first I came across some things that I had read about in the past, and it seemed like good information. Then the more I read, the more I found out that the guy was a quack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
As an outsider who has read these debates I have to say that at times in these threads it appears we are arguing for or against a processed food diet and I am at a loss as to why. I am not trying to troll or start trouble but rather speak as honestly as I can.

The argument shouldn't really pertain to natural or processed foods. Processed foods will have very little to virtually no negative health impacts as long as the points of general health have been met.

Maintain a healthy body-weight.
Eat fruits and veggies.
Consume adequate protein.
Get the bulk of your food from unprocessed sources.

This is very simplified, but it would keep you considerably healthier than the average person.

Generally, processed foods have very little to offer in terms of valued nutrition and are calorically dense. So when the majority of your intake comes from processed foods, you're typically left with consuming excessive calories and malnutrition (in terms of micronutrient and often macronutrient intake).

With all this being said, if you're living within your caloric means and following the basic principles behind a healthy diet; having a cookie or ice cream or whatever, isn't going to make the slightest difference in overall health.

As all other things in life, moderation will always be key.

Quote:
Soooo,

The next time i cook up 6 eggs and a half pound of bacon, i should:
A- throw the bacon grease out and tamp the extra grease off my bacon.
Or
B- Cook the eggs in the bacon grease like last time.

Only reason i'm being so picky about the answer is i will be eating this meal a lot as i will be getting all the free range cage free eggs i can pack down ( family raises chickens) and you cant eat eggs without bacon

I could care less taste wise if i dump the grease or eat it...

Personally, I would go with A. Free range and cage free and all the nonsense surrounding it is nice, but immensely overrated. Long story short; take fish oil.

Contrary to what I see posted on various forums, a rampant intake of saturated fat is not healthy. Context of the individual has a lot of barring on whether or not it is healthy for you to consume *higher* amounts of saturated fats.

I'm not suggesting to steer clear of saturated fats at all costs, I'm just saying limit them. Eat leaner cuts of meats and leaner meats in general. Consume more turkey, chicken and fish. People need more variety in all aspects of their diet; meat selection is no different.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #28
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Processed foods,
This might be the only forum on the net that has debates FOR processed foods diets.

Processed foods diets go hand in hand with weight gain and poor health. In the long run they are not mutually exclusive.

Quote:
And for whatever it may be worth to you, as I am aware of our nutritional differences, I don't like Weston Price.
I don't understand what this means. The guy merely found that more natural, unprocessed diets revealed better overall health. Did you read his book? Set aside the Weston Price foundation and anything else you might be stapling to Weston Price and simply stick to his premise.

I mean no disrespect, but what are we trying to achieve here?

Quote:
There is nothing that research has ever proven to have a stronger relationship to CHD like inflammation.
Which is caused heavily by processed food, heavy junk carb-centric diets. Refined carbs are the prime offender.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-13-2012 at 11:05 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #29
ONpump17
ONpump17
Desiderium Firmum, Semper Ardens
Perservere
Max Brawn
Points: 6,008, Level: 50 Points: 6,008, Level: 50 Points: 6,008, Level: 50
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 4 serious years, 1 meet
Fav Supp: Water
My Mood: Relaxed
ONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machine

Since saturated fat intake is related to testosterone levels, I'll get plenty, thank you very much. Same with cholesterol.
"Choose to not to be a product of your environment, but rather a product of your desires."Kroc
Comp Lifts(lb/kg): Squat: 358/162.5 Bench: 220/100 Deadlift: 424/192.5 Best Lifts: Squat: 385/175 Bench: 250/113 Deadlift: 475/215
ONpump17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #30
ONpump17
ONpump17
Desiderium Firmum, Semper Ardens
Perservere
Max Brawn
Points: 6,008, Level: 50 Points: 6,008, Level: 50 Points: 6,008, Level: 50
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 4 serious years, 1 meet
Fav Supp: Water
My Mood: Relaxed
ONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
From my research it's sodium-potassium balance that is most important. I eat a high sodium diet but also make sure I eat foods that are rich in potassium.

If you Google "Blood Pressure Sodium Potassium Balance" you can find a wealth of info on this.
The ratio of sodium intake to potassium intake within the diet has a much greater effect on BP than sodium (or potassium) alone. The Skinny on Sodium Intake: Is Salt Bad for You? | Eric Cressey | High Performance Training, Personal Training
"Choose to not to be a product of your environment, but rather a product of your desires."Kroc
Comp Lifts(lb/kg): Squat: 358/162.5 Bench: 220/100 Deadlift: 424/192.5 Best Lifts: Squat: 385/175 Bench: 250/113 Deadlift: 475/215
ONpump17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook