Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
mudrunner
mudrunner
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,240, Level: 19 Points: 1,240, Level: 19 Points: 1,240, Level: 19
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

mudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good posts
Default Rest days and eating

Do you all still take your protein shakes a on days you do not lift? Should I skip it if I am not working out?
mudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Stay consistant with your diet throughout the week. Your body is rebuilding on rest days and needs the nutrition.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Chillen
Chillen
Current Pic/Nov 30th, 2012: Rocken Lean
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
My Mood: Inspired
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
Do you all still take your protein shakes a on days you do not lift? Should I skip it if I am not working out?
If you like to drink Protein Drinks on rest days, and this assists you to hit your protein goal, by all means do so. If you want to replace the Protein drink with a hard protein (such as Ham, etc), you can do this as well. The main point being, is to attempt to hit your protein (and other macro) goals each day--whether its a rest day or workout day.

What are your current personal goals?

I ask this because how one partitions their macro nutrients within their personal calorie allotment, depends on the goal one seeks. If one is restricting calories for example (dependent on current physical disposition, and calorie deficit), the focus point may be a bit different as compared to one eating in a personal calorie surplus.

In addition, if one is in a calorie deficit, for some its not a good idea to drink their calories, as this has a faster rate of digestion as compared to a harder form of protein (such as fish, beef, turkey, and so on). In this personal situation, one may opt to eat hard protein most of the time, and use protein drinks sparingly (like in the life-event where hitting your protein target may become difficult), or pre and post workout conditions.

In contrast, if one is eating in a surplus (to put on good weight), drinking calories (such as protein drinks) generally is not that a great of an issue.

The main focus, at least in my opinion, is to hit your protein (and macro) targets each day, whether its in liquid form (Whey, etc), and/or hard protein items. And, whether its on a rest day or workout day, it simply doesn't make a difference.

And, lastly to answer your question in a different way. You DO NOT NEED any sort of Protein Drink (whether its casein, whey, or whatever protein), if you are able to get enough protein simply through solid foods. So in this sense, no you do not have to have a protein drink on rest days or workout days, if you are getting enough in your normal but targeted eating habits. Just simply hit your targets each day, despite which day it is.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
My Mood: Lurking
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
The main focus, at least in my opinion, is to hit your protein (and macro) targets each day, whether its in liquid form (Whey, etc), and/or hard protein items. And, whether its on a rest day or workout day, it simply doesn't make a difference.
This is exactly right.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook