Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #21
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,480,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,480,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,480,642, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post
I figured since my shirt had gone up 50 pounds then my raw bench had increased. I ended up barely being able to bench 335 when I took the shirt off. So my shirt bench went up 50 pounds and my raw dropped at least 20 at the same time.
Excellent insight. I would have never guessed that you would have lost strength.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #22
miked96
miked96
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

My Mood: Relaxed
miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

No problem and I am still a newbie to alot of it. I do think that if your shirt bench is your main concern that there is nothing wrong with staying in it.

Doing something similar to a MM template. Work up to a heavy triple raw and then put your shirt on. Then boards and maybe racks if you can take it. Just keep pushing that raw triple or try like hell to maintain it. If you do that and are a full meet lifter then I would only bench once a week. I talked to Sebastian Burns and thats what he recommends for the crazy volume the MM guys do.
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #23
miked96
miked96
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

My Mood: Relaxed
miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Excellent insight. I would have never guessed that you would have lost strength.
It suprised me too but to be fair I didnt train like that for a year. It was only a few months. I am sure that my raw strength would have eventually gone back up but it just bothered me. Plus my crew wanted to start doing more raw meets so it was hard to train in a shirt by yourself. I also got tired of blowing out my face every Sunday and my wife looking at me like I was a complete idiot!
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #24
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post
Doing something similar to a MM template. Work up to a heavy triple raw and then put your shirt on. Then boards and maybe racks if you can take it. Just keep pushing that raw triple or try like hell to maintain it. If you do that and are a full meet lifter then I would only bench once a week. I talked to Sebastian Burns and thats what he recommends for the crazy volume the MM guys do.
I read a lot about the MM guys some years back, pretty cool you actually got to talk to Burns about it. A lot of it made sense to me, more so than the WSB floating around at the time.

Across my training week I'm hoping to be doing Shirted Bench and Raw Bench, as well as hit a couple of assistance lifts too.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #25
Kuytrider
Kuytrider
is Yosif Zhelyazko Lynch
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Glad you popped in buddy, your thoughts? I can't recall, did you ever use gear?

I think for me that probably would be a bit high, you'd be more inured toward using 80% on a regular basis than I would. I was thinking more along the lines of 60-70, especially with all the rest of the stuff I'll be doing.
I forgot that more advanced lifters tolerate higher volume/percentage a lot less than intermediates/noobs. I think it was Dave Tate who said that elite lifters would be killed trying to emulate the 80% of 1RM achieveable by a relative newcomer in terms of reps so yeah, 60-70 would be much smarter!
One of the lads here mentioned that he saw Donnie Thompson warm up with 700 raw for squats like most guys warm up with 135! Clearly, his raw strength is phenomenal and it must be because he trained it along with the gear. At least that's what makes sense!
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #26
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
I forgot that more advanced lifters tolerate higher volume/percentage a lot less than intermediates/noobs. I think it was Dave Tate who said that elite lifters would be killed trying to emulate the 80% of 1RM achieveable by a relative newcomer in terms of reps so yeah, 60-70 would be much smarter!
Yeah, there is that. 80% for me really would be right on the bone. I'll be starting lighter though, to ease myself into it. I need to keep up with the rest of the weekly pressing as well, so I'll be doing myself a favour if I work in slowly.

Quote:
One of the lads here mentioned that he saw Donnie Thompson warm up with 700 raw for squats like most guys warm up with 135! Clearly, his raw strength is phenomenal and it must be because he trained it along with the gear. At least that's what makes sense!
Yeah that's awesome. No doubt he wouldn't be able to Squat what he does equipped if he couldn't Squat that much raw.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #27
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,262, Level: 100 Points: 36,262, Level: 100 Points: 36,262, Level: 100
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Mark Bell when talking about equipped lifting says that there are two ways to lift more:

1. Improve technique, ie: in the gear.
2. Get stronger, ie: raw

He qualifies that with the fact that raw pbs are only good if they lead to equipped ones. It's a kick in the ego sack but if I can ultimately get my equipped lifts up, I'll take it.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #28
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,262, Level: 100 Points: 36,262, Level: 100 Points: 36,262, Level: 100
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Oh and thanks for introducing me to Sebastian Burns

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #29
ehubbard
ehubbard
has no status.
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
My Mood: Grumpy
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Thanks Ehubbard, the last thing you said about finding the balance struck me. I'm feeling much, much better now after lifting in the gear for a while. Injuries are clearing up etc. So perhaps re-introducing some moderate raw work now may be a good option. If I introduce it as assistance rather than the main focus my sets/reps will reflect that and perhaps I'll avoid some of the aches and pains I used to get when it was my focus and avoid potentially bigger problems of imbalances that may arise from a poor raw base.

Thanks.
Thats the right approach I think. Pause squats for triples or fives, or something like that after your geared squat work. I would probably avoid box squatting as the sole assistance work in the squat, but you could throw them in. Bench I would do some boards with a 5-10 rep scheme. Speed bench usually causes shoulder issues with me so I try and avoid that, unless I solely focus on speed on the concentric.
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #30
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
Thats the right approach I think. Pause squats for triples or fives, or something like that after your geared squat work. I would probably avoid box squatting as the sole assistance work in the squat, but you could throw them in. Bench I would do some boards with a 5-10 rep scheme. Speed bench usually causes shoulder issues with me so I try and avoid that, unless I solely focus on speed on the concentric.
Thanks again, based on this thread and chats with some of my british friends I'm sold on it. I'll try to introduce some raw work and take this as an opportunity to add in more work during the week.

Share with Facebook