Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Bone Bruise

I have some deep tenderness and semi-weakness around my right tricep that have been there for 2 weeks. It's not tender to the touch, but I can feel something odd when I mimic a press movement.

The area of my tricep close to the bone feels off. I am trying to figure out if I have a bone bruise and possibly some inflammation near it.

Anyone have a bone bruise before?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
MC
MC
is plotting World Domination from the Phantom Zone
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
My Mood: Aggressive
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

I have never had a bone bruise. That said, have you done anything to get a bone bruise? Your training doesn't read like it would cause a bone bruise in your arm. Rugby? Yes. Deadlifts and Squats? I don't think so.

It sounds more to me like you may have pulled and/or strained some tendons in your bicep and tricep.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

It doesn't feel like a strain. It's a deep tenderness and slight weakness.

Quote:
That said, have you done anything to get a bone bruise?
I don't know. Benching heavy + old age? I'm not certain...

Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I have some deep tenderness and semi-weakness around my right tricep that have been there for 2 weeks. It's not tender to the touch, but I can feel something odd when I mimic a press movement.

The area of my tricep close to the bone feels off. I am trying to figure out if I have a bone bruise and possibly some inflammation near it.

Anyone have a bone bruise before?
Could be bursitis style inflammation?? Just guessing. Or bone issues, as in the joint, if the pain is in the joint area; otherwise I'd be inclined to agree with Nard about the possibility of it being tendon/ligament related.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Could be bursitis style inflammation?? Just guessing. Or bone issues, as in the joint, if the pain is in the joint area; otherwise I'd be inclined to agree with Nard about the possibility of it being tendon/ligament related.
It's not in the joint nor near connective tissue. It's right at the top of the horseshoe.

Not sure what bursitis is...must Google.

It could be some odd strain, but I've never had one feel tender like this.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
It's not in the joint nor near connective tissue. It's right under the horseshoe.

Not sure what bursitis is...must Google.
You mentioned it started 2 weeks ago, or about two weeks ago; do you remember if there was any tweak occur then? Or two days prior to two weeks ago, etc? Any workout or daily chore you may be able to link it to?

If not, I'd be inclined to get it checked out, with bones, muscles and age, you just don't know what may be going on underneath.

When I had a bruised bone, I ended up with a huge lump on my shin which I'd whacked on a raised metal step on a ferry after falling flat on my face; I had the entire lower leg, back and front, covered in a bruise which lasted a long time but the lump sat there for a good 7 months or so...not something you'd easily miss, so I don't think you have a bruised bone.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

No tweak. Just a lot of heavy pressing. 2 weeks ago my numbers dipped dramatically on bench, and I failed 3 times during that week on numbers I should easily hit.

Something is causing weakness. No sharp pain, and nothing that feels like a strain. Just tenderness. This is odd because I've never had an injury like it before.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

From what I know of bone injuries I'd be inclined to agree with MC and 5kg. Probably more like tendonitis/inflammation. Perhaps it's been caused be more frequent Squatting.

I recall you mentioning you've had issues with your elbows originally caused by Squats (as have I), doing them three times a week will no doubt lead to exacerbating the issue. This is pretty common and only really shows itself when Benching. Something to consider.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
From what I know of bone injuries I'd be inclined to agree with MC and 5kg. Probably more like tendonitis/inflammation. Perhaps it's been caused be more frequent Squatting.

I recall you mentioning you've had issues with your elbows originally caused by Squats (as have I), doing them three times a week will no doubt lead to exacerbating the issue. This is pretty common and only really shows itself when Benching. Something to consider.
I had elbow issues in the past, but there is little strain from the buffalo bar currently. I certainly can't rule out that something happened during a rep though...

Tonight is bench night and it will be interesting to see what happens. It feels weak and tender right now.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

On a related/perhaps not related note I've been doing Behind the Neck Push Presses (BTNPP) recently and they are awesome for general upper body flexibility. It makes Squatting and Pressing much, much smoother.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook