Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Max Brawn
Points: 10,915, Level: 69 Points: 10,915, Level: 69 Points: 10,915, Level: 69
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default Matt Rhodes' 3-Day Westside Split
by BigJosh 01-31-2012, 12:14 AM

Matt Rhodes' 3-Day Westside Split

By Matt Rhodes

For EliteFTS

About a year and a half ago I was physically and mentally drained from powerlifting. I have to admit that I was actually thinking about training like a bodybuilder. Luckily, I am proud of my chest and back hair, and I'm also heterosexual - so no bodybuilding for me. But there was definitely a problem. I had no motivation to go to the gym and worse, I couldn't even get motivated when I got to the gym. Even a picture of Britney Spears in her outfit from the 'Slave' video couldn't get me going.

Here's what was wrong. I worked overnights, my sleeping was screwed up, and my body couldn't recover from workout to workout. I was always working around injuries and making no progress. If the elbows felt good, the shoulders were shot. And so on down the line. So, as usual, I made my call to Jim Wendler. The rest is history.

This is what we came up with. I would still have the 4 workouts - ME Squat/DL, ME Bench, DE Squat/DL, and DE Bench - but I would do them in 8 days instead of 7. The schedule would rotate like this:

Wednesday - ME Squat/DL

Friday - ME Bench

Sunday - DE Squat/DL

Wednesday - DE Bench

Friday - ME Squat/DL

Sunday - ME Bench

The way I organized it was like this. I wanted my last DE Bench workout to fall on Sunday the week before the meet. I wanted my last DE Squat/DL workout to fall on Friday, 9 days before the meet. I just set it up and counted backwards. As far as my assistance work, it stayed the same. I may have done an extra set or an extra exercise here and there, but basically, it remained the same. The main difference was that I went all out every workout. I didn't save anything on DE Bench day because I was planning to work up in the shirt the following week.

What I found after 2 weeks was a renewed excitement for training. I couldn't wait to get into the gym and start training. All of my sessions were very focused and productive. I honestly don't remember having a bad day. I know I did, but they were few and far between. I always felt rested and ready to go. My elbow and shoulder problems calmed down and I could actually train to get stronger instead of training around injuries.

I competed in the 2004 Iron House Classic. I squatted 775 (previous best was 650), I benched 465 (previous best was 455 - I suck), and I deadlifted 615 (previous best was 605). I tweaked my hamstring squatting and it acted up on me in the bench and DL. I pulled my opener and passed on my other 2 attempts in the DL.

Looking back, the 3-Day split was very effective for me. It helped me overcome some injury and motivation issues that were holding me back. It also accommodated my schedule at the time. The only thing I would do differently is make sure that on the weeks where I benched once, I'd do ME/Shirt work. The weeks where I benched twice, I would do the ME and DE workouts. For the Squat/DL I would make sure to do DE Squat on the weeks where I only squatted once. I've found that ME Bench and DE Squat are my gauges for progress. If those workouts go well, I'm feeling good and getting stronger.

If you're feeling beat up, worn out, or just need a change, this might be something you'd want to look into.

Matt Rhodes
Views 781 Comments 3
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 3

Comments

Old 01-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Nice find. Have not seen this before.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I often start out with 4 days a week in the early going, like right now with Juggernaut, and then switch to 3 days a week when the intensity gets big and I start feeling a little worn down.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,169, Level: 100 Points: 36,169, Level: 100 Points: 36,169, Level: 100
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

This is the split I use at the moment. Just trying to supplement it with a bit of extra band work at home but otherwise exactly the same.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook