Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
jwood
jwood
has no status.
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,041, Level: 92 Points: 22,041, Level: 92 Points: 22,041, Level: 92
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
My Mood: Aggressive
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Default Too Much Pre-workout

I posted this in my log, but I thought it deserved a thread. I want to see everyones thoughts on this subject. What are your feelings on too much stimulants?

I am starting to see a common theme in my training. When I take less pre-workout I have better workouts. I feel much stronger and the heavier weights feel light.

Tonight I took maybe 1/2 scoop of k-otic and felt very strong on floor press. I was handling 325 with no spotter and no lift off. Over the last couple of months I have noticed that I feel very strong on deload workouts. And those are the weeks when I take less pre-workout. It has nothing to do with the actual product or brand I think I just take too much.

My nerves get crazy, and I feel less solid. Like saturday, I felt uncomfortable with 415 on my back because I was shaky. Probably too much stimulants. And I have noticed on my max weeks of juggernaut I have crappy workouts. This is when I am taking a full serving of pre workout, and I get really jacked up but do not really perform that great.

Moral of the story, I need to cut back on my pre workout stimulants. I think stimulants help a lot for high reps and long workouts. But when using max weight, they can make me feel shaky. The experiment will continue, tomorrow I am going to do speed squats and deads with only 1/2 scoop of k-otic and see how I feel. I may lessen the dose even more on thursday.

Does any one else have this same feeling?

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Pull14
Pull14
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

I've found this to be true for myself as well. Get a little shaky or end up feeling slightly under the weather - similar to taking in to much caffeine or a sugar crash. Messed around with serving sizes and that either had no effect or those described above. Since that I've simply forgone any pre-training stims other than a cup of coffee on occasion.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

No pre-workout stims for me. I want to be calm and focussed when I lift.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 10,912, Level: 69 Points: 10,912, Level: 69 Points: 10,912, Level: 69
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

I have problems with stimulants and I am really careful about what and how much I take.
I personally tend to lean towards a pre-workout that is simply based around caffeine. I'm used to caffeine, I know how it is going to make me feel.
I've tried some pre workouts that have other various stimulants besides basic caffeine and I have had what I would consider bad experiences. It's almost like being over stimulated.

I guess my point here is that not all pre-workouts are created equally. And many utilize different stimulants and different amounts of these stimulants. So, while I don't know what is in k-otic and I've never tried it, you may consider trying something more basic.
Just my opinion on the matter.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2012, 05:23 AM   #5
rippednmichigan
rippednmichigan
robert@flexfitnessandnutrition.com
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
My Mood: Daring
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

You really need to find what works for you, some might need it, some don't, some might need a half serving like you stated, we are all different and supplements can react differently on us on a day to day basis depending on diet, training etc... If you feel your pre is messing things up try not using it for a bit, then try using it only on heavy days and see how you feel?
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
My Mood: Lurking
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

I agree, you need to find what works for you. Not any one else. The need for only 1/2 serving of K-Otic is nothing unusual.

Myself, K-Otic is the only P/W that don't give me the shakes or crash.

I wouldn't last in my multi workouts long being they are 5-15 rep range and Super Sets with out a P/W.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I agree with you J. I don't bother with them any more, it's too much wasted energy in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
I think stimulants help a lot for high reps and long workouts.
Perhaps, but then you get the come down at which point you'll be even more tired.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #8
Beast
Beast
is a proud member of the rugby front row union
Brawn
Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Red meat
My Mood: Happy
Beast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributor

Do pre-workout stimulants really make your bodily tissue physically capable of doing anything that it couldn't do without them?

I've never used them so I don't have any experience to draw on.
Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
My Mood: Lurking
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
Do pre-workout stimulants really make your bodily tissue physically capable of doing anything that it couldn't do without them?

I've never used them so I don't have any experience to draw on.
They give you the drive to push threw what you would normally sociologically fail at. Prevent "Mind fail before muscles fail".

Pull you threw the "Oh crap I don't feel like working out today." mode.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,053, Level: 79 Points: 15,053, Level: 79 Points: 15,053, Level: 79
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

I try to restrict my pre-workout usage to times when I am working long hours and wake up so tired and sore that I'm tempted to not even go to work, much less wander into the gym for squats. They get me hyped up and help with keeping my energy high throughout.

Side note 1: I haven't used a PWO for a month and my blood pressure is back down to 110/67 at resting, when taking a PWO is was up around 130/85.

Side note 2: I like K-Otic, but have to be sure to take in a LOT of extra water or I feel hung over after. Anyone else have this happen?

Share with Facebook