Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
JTurner
JTurner
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,106, Level: 55 Points: 7,106, Level: 55 Points: 7,106, Level: 55
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Beach Pong Champion! Pinboliada Champion! Sky Wire Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
My Mood: Cool
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast
Default JTurner's First BDFPA Meet

BtB told me to post my results in the PL section, I was hoping to post some better results but still, this is the write up from my log.

28/01/12 - First Meet

Weight - 89.1kg

Squat
155kg x F! (Looking back at video it's actually 165kg)
155kg x 1
165kg x 1 equal PB

Bench
95kg x 1
105kg x 1
115kg x 1 +5kg PB

Deadlift
180kg x 1
195kg x 1
205kg x F

Total - 475kg

Opening with a failed squat really wasn't how I wanted to start the day. The meet was seriously unorganised and even the more experienced lifters weren't too sure when the flight would begin. My final squat warm-ups were rushed but most peoples were. I hit 140kg easily though and had some rest before getting on the platform. By that point, nerves had really kicked in and I dropped way to fast into the squat and lost balance onto my toes. Looking back at the video once squats were finished, it was also 165kg so the 25kg jump from my last warm-up didn't help. There were a LOT of misloads over the day and after my squats I made sure I checked the bar before lifting and had them change a few. The next 2 lifts were fairly easy, the ref had a few words as he could see I was p*ssed and working myself up and it helped, I slowed things down and took my time. Certainly had a squat PB in me but sh*t happens.

I was never going to be happy with the day after the squats and I reduced my bench opener to 95kg, warmed up early and just tried to stay calm. Bench was the one lift I really wasn't expecting much from at the meet but even with the pauses they all felt strong and maybe some left in it. Only thing I noticed on the video is the outside of my feet not being flat on the floor, might need to work on that.

Warmed up pretty early for the deadlifts, felt pretty good and my opener went up easy (no vid though). I went with 195kg with the intention of hitting 205kg on my 3rd but I don't think this was the best idea. Still 195kg is still my best deadlift with a proper lockout.

Overall, today was a huge learning experience and I can guarantee that my next meet will be a lot more successful. I could make plenty of excuses but they won't change anything, I know what I have to work on and I'll just come back stronger.

Finally, thanks to everyone at MAB. I'm not massively active here but I do enjoy reading a lot of logs and interesting threads and have received some great advice. It's the only forum that I have made it passed 20 posts on and that I still visit and without the members here I can guarantee I would still be sat here telling myself that I will compete one day.

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 32,082, Level: 100 Points: 32,082, Level: 100 Points: 32,082, Level: 100
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Great work man! 115 bench looked very good!

Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 128,674, Level: 100 Points: 128,674, Level: 100 Points: 128,674, Level: 100
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

That's a bummer about the misload - it can't have done your confidence on your first ever competition lift. I think with the misload and dropping like a stone, it was always going to be tough to keep balance.

Well done for a bench press PB in competition, and you nearly had the deadlift.

Try not to be dispirited that you didn't get the numbers you hoped for. It's still an experience and it takes a certain amount of bottle to go and lift in front of judges and an audience.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 25,031, Level: 95 Points: 25,031, Level: 95 Points: 25,031, Level: 95
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

As stated above, bummer about the disorganization and misload. The experience will take you far in the future. I am sure you now have a better grasp on what to expect and what to do before each lift. Keep at it!

Seeking to be transformed, not conformed!

Become a disciple of the bar. - glwanabe

The Official Get Fit For The King Website

Yasen Miroslav Zavadil
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Nicely done. You smoked those two squats. Congrats on getting the first one out of your head. Next meet will be even better.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
BtB told me to post my results in the PL section, I was hoping to post some better results but still, this is the write up from my log.
First off, congratulations for stepping out and trying a meet.

Quote:
155kg x F! (Looking back at video it's actually 165kg)
What weight had you wanted? I assume 155?

Quote:
Overall, today was a huge learning experience and I can guarantee that my next meet will be a lot more successful. I could make plenty of excuses but they won't change anything, I know what I have to work on and I'll just come back stronger.
One of the things I personally try to get across to first time competitors is to not worry about numbers. Get in, learn, decide if you want to do it again, and then apply what you've learned.

Quote:
Finally, thanks to everyone at MAB. I'm not massively active here but I do enjoy reading a lot of logs and interesting threads and have received some great advice. It's the only forum that I have made it passed 20 posts on and that I still visit and without the members here I can guarantee I would still be sat here telling myself that I will compete one day.
We're glad to have you as a member of the community. You work hard, make no excuses and I always enjoy checking your log to see how the progress is going.

Again, congrats! You did something most will never do

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
Hazzard
Hazzard
is proud to represent Muscle and Brawn. And Pop Tarts.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
My Mood: Sleepy
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

Great first meet mate and that really sucks that they screwed up the loading, that could be a definite cause of injury, especially since you weren't expecting it.

Nonetheless, massive congratulations on your first competition and I hope yo see you back out on the platform again soon! Shall check out the video now...

EDIT: Just watched the video, some great and incredibly smooth lifting mate. You definitely would've gotten that first squat and final dead if you hadn't slipped, awesome try mate. Also - it looks like on the squat you just rest your clenched hands on the top of the bar - may I ask why, out of curiosity?

Last edited by Hazzard; 01-29-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
Kuytrider
Kuytrider
is Yosif Zhelyazko Lynch
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Can't believe they made such a mess of things. That certainly didn't help when coupled with your obvious and understandable nerves at your first meet. Still, I think you showed a lot of mental strength to hit one PB and equal another. Onwards and upward mate
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
JTurner
JTurner
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,106, Level: 55 Points: 7,106, Level: 55 Points: 7,106, Level: 55
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Beach Pong Champion! Pinboliada Champion! Sky Wire Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
My Mood: Cool
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. I'm glad I got out and competed and to be honest the lessons learned were far more valuable than adding a few kg's to my total. It certainly hasn't done anything to put me off competing again, quite the opposite. Also, just received the scorecard and I still managed to post a qualifying total for the nationals, not bad for a first meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
What weight had you wanted? I assume 155?

We're glad to have you as a member of the community. You work hard, make no excuses and I always enjoy checking your log to see how the progress is going.
Yup, 155, I didn't even think to check the bar, I only noticed playing back the video after the flight had finished. But regardless of the misload, my form wasn't there on the first. Once I slowed myself down and stopped rushing it all fell into place.

Thanks BtB .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
Also - it looks like on the squat you just rest your clenched hands on the top of the bar - may I ask why, out of curiosity?
The lower few fingers are around the bar but I use the base of my thumb to push against the bar. Whenever I've used a full grip my wrist's start going under the bar and take a beating along with my elbows.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 35,003, Level: 100 Points: 35,003, Level: 100 Points: 35,003, Level: 100
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Well done on overcoming the incompetent loaders. Nationals next.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook