Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #1
renereal70
renereal70
has no status.
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

renereal70 is off to a bad start
Default training each body part once a week

Is it ok to train each body part once every two weeks? Can a muscle Atrophy before two weeks? My strength gains stall when i try to lift each body part once a week. I gain strength and feel much more refreshed doing each body part once every two weeks. i have a split like this. week 1, M-chest, W-back, F-Triceps , week 2, M-shoulders, W-biceps, F- legs...Repeat week one again and so on. i bench 345, deadlift 400, squat 500.
renereal70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
renereal70
renereal70
has no status.

Default training each body part once every two weeks.

Is it ok to train each body part once every two weeks? Can a muscle Atrophy before two weeks? My strength gains stall when i try to lift each body part once a week. I gain strength and feel much more refreshed doing each body part once every two weeks. i have a split like this. week 1, M-chest, W-back, F-Triceps , week 2, M-shoulders, W-biceps, F- legs...Repeat week one again and so on. i bench 345, deadlift 400, squat 500.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
Boom
Boom
don't need no stinkin' status.
Brawn
Points: 1,133, Level: 18 Points: 1,133, Level: 18 Points: 1,133, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Cheerful
Boom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributor

What is your actual routine?
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,514,997, Level: 100 Points: 1,514,997, Level: 100 Points: 1,514,997, Level: 100
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Merged threads.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,514,997, Level: 100 Points: 1,514,997, Level: 100 Points: 1,514,997, Level: 100
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

You are better off only working out 2 to 3 times a week and using a full body than working one body part every two weeks.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #6
renereal70
renereal70
has no status.

i tried the two and three full body workouts per week. i stall and or lose strength on those. Im thinking im probably one of the few people who do better on a mike mentzer heavy duty 2, infrequent type routine.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
Cutty
Cutty
beastmode
Max Brawn
Points: 5,547, Level: 47 Points: 5,547, Level: 47 Points: 5,547, Level: 47

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
My Mood: Inspired
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

You may be simply doing too much weight or too much volume, I can be temperamental with how my strength and fatigue gets and even I can train 3 days a week and be ok. Now if I were to go train 80%+ every time I step in the gym it takes 3 weeks and I'm shot.

Just a suggestion.

Link to log

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512

Passion without discipline is just a dream. - Steve Shaw

Sometimes you make your own pull by pushing forward. - Steve Shaw
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
charger69
charger69
has no status.
Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1

charger69 is off to a bad start
Default training 2-3 times a week

Great subject
if doing a full body workout every 2 days is 1 working set enough?
i was doing 3 sets for 30 total rep, my joints became so sore i had to take 10 days off. what is the proper volume of working sets? thanks
charger69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
Boom
Boom
don't need no stinkin' status.
Brawn
Points: 1,133, Level: 18 Points: 1,133, Level: 18 Points: 1,133, Level: 18

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Cheerful
Boom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by renereal70 View Post
i tried the two and three full body workouts per week. i stall and or lose strength on those. Im thinking im probably one of the few people who do better on a mike mentzer heavy duty 2, infrequent type routine.
What is your current routine?
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
renereal70
renereal70
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
What is your current routine?
I do my weight training twice per week. I begin on week 1 on Wednesday and train back and chest together, then wait till Saturday and then I train quadriceps and calves. I dont lift again after that till the following Wednesday in which I will train shoulders then wait till Saturday and then I hit hamstrings and calves. Wait again till Wednesday and then I train biceps and triceps together. Then Saturday I hit quads and calves again and then when come Wednesday I will train back and chest again followed by another hamstring and calf workout on Saturday. This is the continuous cycle that I follow. As it stands I train arms, back, chest, and shoulders just ounce every three weeks and quadriceps and hamstrings are trained bi-weekly, and then calves are done ounce per week and abs and core are trained 3-4 X per week along with 20 minutes of cardio done in high and low inensity intervals. Considering the amount of of weight and intensity I use, this is the precise amount of recovery time I need for each of the muscle groups in order to make continuous progress. I'm at this point because as your strength level increases so does the necessary recovery time between workouts in order to make muscle gains. Yes I used to train each muscle twice a week then my gains stopped so I had to increase the recovery time so that I was training each muscle ounce per week then I began gaining again for quite some time then I hit a platue again so my recovery time had to be increased to training each muscle bi-weekly. I still make gains training quads and hams bi-weekly and calves every week but the gains I was making on my upper body slowed down so I had to ounce again increase the recovery time on those muscle groups to ounce every 3 weeks. Alot of people think that this is B.S. but why am I continuing to see progress but they're not? As for my workout, I will do 1-2 short rep warmup sets and then just one working set in which I push myself to complete failure for each exercise that I do. The workout listing here I will only list the actual working sets not the warm up sets. Here are my workouts in order starting with Back and Chest.

Reverse grip barbell rows(1 set of 8-12 reps), Bench press(1 set of 6-10 reps), Weighted chin ups(1 set of 8-12 reps), Inclined bench press(1 set of 6-10 reps), Seated cable rows(1 set of 8-12 reps), Inclined dumbbell fly's(1 set of 8-12 reps), Dumbbell pullovers(1 set of 8-12 reps), then Peck deck(1 set of 6-10 reps.)

Next workout is quadriceps and calves. It consists of: Leg Press(1 set of 8-12 reps), Smith machine squats(1 set of 8-12 reps), One legged leg extensions(1 set of 10-12 reps each leg), Seated calf raises(1 set of 12-20 reps), Standing calf raises(1 set of 12-20 reps).

Then biceps and triceps for the next workout. They include: Barbell curls with olympic bar(1 set of 6-10 reps), Weighted dips(1 set of 8-12 reps), Inclined dumbbell curls(1 set of 8-10 reps), Overhead dumbbell extensions(1 set of 8-10 reps each arm), Concentration curls(1 set of 8-12 reps per arm), Tricep cable press-downs with rope(1 set of 8-10 reps).

The workout for hamstrings and calves is very simple. It includes: Deadlifts(1 set of 6-10 reps), Lying leg curls(1 set of 6-10 reps), Standing calf raises(1 set of 12-20 reps), Seated calf raises(1 set of 12-20 reps).

Then the shoulder workout is as follows: Smith machine military press(1 set of 6-10 reps), Side lateral dumbbell raises(1 set of 8-12 reps), Reverse cable fly's(1 set of 8-12 reps), Front dumbbell raises(1 set of 8-12 reps).
This is gonna seem very unorthadox to alot of people but remember if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten

Share with Facebook