Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
musclewannabe
musclewannabe
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 757, Level: 14 Points: 757, Level: 14 Points: 757, Level: 14
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

musclewannabe has made some quality postsmusclewannabe has made some quality postsmusclewannabe has made some quality postsmusclewannabe has made some quality postsmusclewannabe has made some quality postsmusclewannabe has made some quality posts
Default Water

What is your daily water intake goal? How do you make sure you reach this goal? I was going to make mine be a gallon of water. Does this sound reasonable? Can I include tea to be a part of this? Or does it have to be caffeine free stuff?
musclewannabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 137,996, Level: 100 Points: 137,996, Level: 100 Points: 137,996, Level: 100
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Well, I'm sure you will get some contrary opinions to mine on this issue, but here goes:

Why do you need a 'water target'? The body has elaborate homeostatic mechanisms to ensure that you have the amount of water in your system that you need. Under most circumstances, you will know when to drink: you'll feel thirsty. This behavioural mechanism has served us perfectly well for tens of thousands of years.

If you're working all day on a construction site in San Antonio, jogging on the Chilean Altiplano, or working out in a non-air con gym in Louisiana, then yes, it might be sensible to keep topping up.

However, the idea that we all need to flood the body with supraphysiological amounts of water isn't really based on research evidence. It's more of a faddish idea dreamed up by an Indian doctor that somehow went direct into the health community.

It also isn't true that coffee and tea dehydrate the body, so it's fine to get your water intake from those sources, though it might be prudent to take it easy on the caffeine.

Bottom line:

1. Sip some water when you're training.
2. Take a look at the colour of your urine. If it's pretty dark, time to get some fluid.
3. Otherwise, drink when you're thirsty or at regular intervals if you prefer.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 137,996, Level: 100 Points: 137,996, Level: 100 Points: 137,996, Level: 100
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

snopes.com: Eight Glasses of Water a Day

The doctor at the root of the belief is Iranian-born, not Indian. My bad. He is Fereydoon Batmanghelidj, which is a super-cool name at least.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclewannabe View Post
What is your daily water intake goal? How do you make sure you reach this goal? I was going to make mine be a gallon of water. Does this sound reasonable? Can I include tea to be a part of this? Or does it have to be caffeine free stuff?
Honestly, no idea, I just drink I sometimes wonder when all the water counting craze started, as if people don't have enough to track already with P/C/Fs and calorie intakes, reps per set, sets per workout...etc

When I was a youth, nobody ever counted water and they all survived pretty well, from what I remember; they drank when they wanted a drink, they drank if they felt thirsty (which we now know means a little dehydrated already) but the point is they instinctively knew how to rectify it without having to track it. If the urine is not light in colour, have a drink; no real need for counting water mls, gms and so forth.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Like Tann and Babs have said, your body will let you know if you are drinking enough. I almost always have a cup or bottle in hand, sipping all day long. Some days I may only drink about 32 oz, others near a gallon. My allergy med, keeps me feeling thirsty all the time, so I keep water or tea around all the time.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook