Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Beast
Beast
is a proud member of the rugby front row union
Brawn
Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Red meat
My Mood: Happy
Beast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributor
Default British powerlifting associations

Would anyone be kind enough to share their thoughts on the merits of the various British powerlifting organisations?

I was talking about training with a mate last night as we put away large amounts of steak and whiskey, and we both decided that it would be a good idea at some time to try a powerlifting competition for shits and giggles.

There are 5 organisations that I can find listed. We would both be interested in raw lifting.
Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

The big ones in the UK are
  • BDFPA: Associated with WDFPA
  • GBPF: Associated with IPF. Formerly BWLA/BAWLA.
  • BPC/BPO: Multiply, 24 hour weigh-ins, Monolifts here.

I've competed with BDFPA between 2002-2006. They were always friendly, competitions were well conducted. It is generally accepted that most lifters here are drug-free, however the reputation is no better than the GBPF despite what some members of the BDFPA say. Unequipped lifting here is very strong.

GBPF. Formerly associated with BAWLA/BWLA they split off some years back and formed the GBPF which is associated to IPF, the worlds largest and generally considered most credible powerlifting association. Equipped competition is very strong here with the likes of Tom Martin, Dean Bowring. I competed here once in 2002 and it was a very nicely put on Meet.

BPO/BPC. The only place in the UK where multi-ply and monolifts are used. I've heard a lot of good things however it does have a blurred reputation for drug usage.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Beast
Beast
is a proud member of the rugby front row union
Brawn
Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Red meat
My Mood: Happy
Beast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributor

Cheers mate, that's really helpful.

I think it makes sense to have a go at a comp in the future, just for the experience if anything.
Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook