Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
Chameleon
Chameleon
is loving his family! 2012 will be my most creative year to date! Let's play the groove brother!
Brawn
Points: 1,673, Level: 23 Points: 1,673, Level: 23 Points: 1,673, Level: 23
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2yrs
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Apple Cider Vinegar
My Mood: Happy
Chameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good start
Default A question regarding 5 x 5

I like training 5x5, & I want to be able to do my squats & presses like this;

Front Squats for the first two sets - Back Squats for the last three sets

BNP for the first two sets - Military Presses for the last three sets

Is this a good training method? Or am I best to do for example front squats on mondays & back squats on wednesdays?
The Mayans never said that 2012 was the end of the world, they said it was the end of the world as we know it. Does this mean the sky will be green & the grass will be blue? Maybe the oceans will turn to beer & the oxygen into marijuana smoke. Or maybe the banking sector will get destroyed & money will therefore be useless, meaning that humans can live as creative individuals with the opportunity to express themselves freely. I truly hope so, as long as I can still play music & lift weights!
Chameleon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I would alternate. Each lift taxes the body in a unique way and I would prefer to see you warmed up and acclimated to each specific lift before going heavy.

With that said, you could certainly do back squats. do a warmup or two on front squats, and then do some front squat sets. But I still think alternating is your best option.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I like the alternating idea better; either every session or every cycle.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
Davis
Davis
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,048, Level: 40 Points: 4,048, Level: 40 Points: 4,048, Level: 40
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

Yeah, probably an ABA kind of thing. A: Squat. B: Front squat. A: Squat. Rotate week in and week out. Or, do however you want to do it. That's just my. BTB, and Off Road's suggestion unless I have misunderstood what they mean.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Thye're different lifts. Treat them as different lifts. I have actually tried mixing front squats and back squats, as well as OHP and BNP. The problem is they fire different muscles in different ways and they are not good warmups to each other because the way your mind treats them is entirely different. and warmups are as much for your mind and nervous system (if not more so!) than your muscles, the difference is noticeable. And when the weights get big, it is intolerable.

For example, I thought since front squats were less weight, and I wanted to do them, they would be a good warmup for back squats. Well, that is somewhat true when you are very first starting out with relatively minimal weights.

But when you are ramping up to a max effort back squat with some max effort front squats, you will not actually be ready for those back squats as the mechanisms are different. So, it doesn't matter what you want, you have to be ready for what you are about to do, and if it's heavy, you better be really damn ready.

Bottom line, I'm not an expert by any means, but I believe all lifts are different and should be treated as such.

In a 5x5 format, I would do the max back squat, Front squat, then medium back squat in an HLM format. Same with OHP. I'd max OHP, then BNP, then Push press or something like that if you wanted variation.

As always, though. What are your goals? Do you want to be strong at a particular thing? Then do that particular thing. If you just want general overall strength in everything, then do lots of different things regularly.

Hope that helps!
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2011, 05:51 AM   #6
Chameleon
Chameleon
is loving his family! 2012 will be my most creative year to date! Let's play the groove brother!
Brawn
Points: 1,673, Level: 23 Points: 1,673, Level: 23 Points: 1,673, Level: 23

Training Exp: 2yrs
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Apple Cider Vinegar
My Mood: Happy
Chameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good start

Thank you for all your input gentlemen, your advice has been taken on board

ABA is the way to go for me
The Mayans never said that 2012 was the end of the world, they said it was the end of the world as we know it. Does this mean the sky will be green & the grass will be blue? Maybe the oceans will turn to beer & the oxygen into marijuana smoke. Or maybe the banking sector will get destroyed & money will therefore be useless, meaning that humans can live as creative individuals with the opportunity to express themselves freely. I truly hope so, as long as I can still play music & lift weights!
Chameleon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
ricka182
ricka182
is taking small steps.. then GIANT leaps to domination!!!
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Archery 2000 Champion! Fish Eat Fish Champion! Power Driver Champion! Yeti Sports 1 Greece Champion! Penguinoids Champion!
Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
My Mood: Sick
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Already got some good answers, but I'll just throw this in, as I am also running on a 5 x 5 base routine, slightly altered for personalized progression.

I do 2 moves for each muscle group, using a 5x5 scheme. Same move for the first 5 sets, same move for the second 5 sets. I plan on using the same moves for 2 full weeks, which is 4 workouts with each move, then will switch it up for 2 weeks, then revert back to the first set of moves.

Example, chest currently is 5x5 flat BB, then 5x5 incline DB press. After next week, I'll switch to 5x5 decline DB press and a mix of 2 sets pullovers into 3 sets wide flyes on a machine.

I also use a finisher for each muscle group, and that will also change. Currently doing a set of 20-25 reps @ 50-60% wide DB flyes to close out chest, that will change to a set of flat BB @ 50-60% pause/speed reps mix set.

Hope that's not too confusing...
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook