Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #11
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Simply put, no. I believe there are cortico steroids and Anabolic Androgenic steroids and they do 2 completely different things.
The reason they are asking if your Husbands liver is enlarged, isn't because the steroid is causing it to grow, but more likely because the steroid could possibly put strain on the liver which would cause it to enlarge, If that makes sense.
Yep, that makes sense, thanks BigJosh

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 136,639, Level: 100 Points: 136,639, Level: 100 Points: 136,639, Level: 100
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Yep, but don't all steroids basically have the same effects? I don't know much about them and the differences, in that sense.
Not really. 'Steroid' is just a generic description of a certain chemical structure - I forget exactly what it is - but I'm pretty sure it's shared by a number of different types of compound with quite different physiological effects.

Corticosteroids, like the glucocorticoids, are produced by the adrenal cortex (hence the name). They are produced all the time, but increase in response to stressors. They have a whole bunch of metabolic effects, but one of their key medical uses relates to their strong immunosupressive effects. They're powerful anti-inflammatories: I suffered from an eyelid inflammation called blepharitis for years - a single course of corticosteroids got rid of it; ditto my Mum's eczma (sp?)

Steroids classed as 'anabolic androgenic steroids' are produced primarily by the gonads, though confusingly, the adrenal glands can produce rather large amounts of them too. In addition to their effects on primary and secondary sexual characterisitcs, they have whole slew of protein-synthesis effects that, as far as I'm aware,don't have any equivalence in corticosteroids.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 136,639, Level: 100 Points: 136,639, Level: 100 Points: 136,639, Level: 100
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Josh got in there whilst I was typing my long-winded response.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,287, Level: 79 Points: 15,287, Level: 79 Points: 15,287, Level: 79
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

To piggy-back on what has already been said, steroids and thyroid hormones (T3 and T4) are hydrophobic compounds that can penetrate the phospholipid bi-layer that makes up the cell wall and directly affect protein synthesis by attaching themselves to the cell nucleus and altering certain gene expressions. Other hormones are unable to do this and must instead attach to the cell wall and send messengers through the wall into the nucleus.

Sex hormones, primarily testosterone and estrogen, are produced by the gonads. Men get most of their estrogen via aromatization of testosterone, and the same goes for test from estrogen in females. Some of each is also secreted by the adrenal cortex which sits on top of the kidneys.
bruteforce is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100 Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100 Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I will add that in my interactions with several near IFBB level bodybuilders they are using a chemical soup far beyond what most of us can imagine.

I spoke to one gentleman in particular who is using some elaborate peptide setup and fringe drug treatment that is growing new cells, muscle and otherwise (beyond growth caused by HGH). I don't remember the long and the short of it, but suffice it to say that for elite lifters it goes well beyond steroids, fat loss chemicals and even HGH.

The ladder is much higher than most of us can imagine right now, and has to be incredibly dangerous.

How high this ladder is for powerlifting, I am not certain. But I bet if it is lagging, it will catch up soon.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #16
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,786, Level: 100 Points: 33,786, Level: 100 Points: 33,786, Level: 100
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

He looks very ill in some way, sure he says he had recent back surgery but the man just looks sick, like he's organs are failing on him or something.

He's paying right now by the looks of it..

Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #17
SeventySeven
SeventySeven
Pursuing progression with aggression
Max Brawn
Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 1 year+
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Xtend
My Mood: Twisted
SeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machine

I have heard multiple times that he goes to sleep with an IV
SeventySeven is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #18
Jesda
Jesda
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Jesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good posts

Gosh he looks very rough . I never want to get this way!
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #19
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
IFBB bodybuilding.

Please done catigorize Tested Naturals with people like him.
Good point Rich!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook