Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Default Can't do a lot of chin-ups?

Are you stuck doing around 5 chin-ups? I was for a long time until I ran accross this article/routine, it helped me get over 10 reps. Since I'm currently re-visiting this routine, I thought I'd share the workout with you guys. The complete article can be found here: Leave Lat Pull-Down Land and Build A Bigger Back | Wannabebig

Week 1

Workout 1 – Chin-ups, 25 total reps done as singles.

Do your rep, drop off the bar, and let your arms and back relax for ten to fifteen seconds. Aim for more rest initially until you get a feel for what you can do. Ensure that every single rep is perfect and that you feel a maximal contraction between your shoulder blades. Really focus on pulling your scapulae down and back. Don’t get impatient. This should feel easy at the beginning.

Workout 2 – Single-arm dumbbell row, 26 total reps per side done as 12 sets of 2 reps.

For these, you remain focused on quality reps and locking your scapula back as hard as you can on each rep. Perform two good reps, rest ten seconds or so, and then switch sides. Do your two reps there, rest about thirty seconds, and start over for twelve total sets.

Week 2-4

Workout 1 - Weighted chin-up, 25 total reps done as singles.

Add weight only if you finished 25 single reps in the previous week without difficulty. This will be the same as last week, but this time you’ve got a little bit of weight strapped to your waist.

If you reach a point at which you can no longer lock out a single rep cleanly, stop the workout there and make a note to do the workout next week with less weight or more rest between sets. If you finish the workout easily, add weight to the belt next week.

Workout 2 – Single-arm dumbbell row, 26 total reps per side done as 12 sets of 2 reps.

Week 5-8

Workout 1 – Band resisted chin-up, 26 total reps.

Speed is your goal here. Get your sternum to the bar as fast as you can and feel your scapulae retract maximally, then drop right back down. You can start these as sets of two reps, but drop down to singles if your rep speed slows at all on the second rep.

Workout 2 – Neutral grip cable row, 25 total reps, done as doubles or singles.

Once again, the focus here is on individual quality reps with as much motor unit recruitment as possible in each one. Focus on scapular function. Only pull the handle until you feel your shoulder blades lock all the way back; don’t keep rotating your arms back and force your shoulders to pitch forward. Use enough weight so that sets of two reps are challenging and give yourself enough rest between each set to make it all the way to the end.

Wrap Up

Once week nine rolls around, you should be able to hop onto a bar and knock out around twice the number of reps that you could do two months ago. Keep experimenting and use your newfound strength to work up to triples (sets of three reps) with weight or band resistance. Stay with chins until you can get more than ten reps at a time, and then you can start working pull-ups into your routine.

Stick with it and soon you’ll be rewarded with increased upper body strength, size, and density and a really smug feeling as you walk past the guys who are still stuck in Lat Pull-down Land!

Last edited by Off Road; 12-20-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,476,844, Level: 100 Points: 1,476,844, Level: 100 Points: 1,476,844, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Excellent read.

Quote:
Workout 1 Band resisted chin-up, 26 total reps.
I assume these are "band assisted"?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I assume these are "band assisted"?
Nope. Band resisted. Put the band around your waist and attach to the floor via heavy dumbbell. Pulling against greater resistance to build speed.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,476,844, Level: 100 Points: 1,476,844, Level: 100 Points: 1,476,844, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Nope. Band resisted. Put the band around your waist and attach to the floor via heavy dumbbell. Pulling against greater resistance to build speed.
I gotcha. I thought they were doing the opposite and working on speed pullups with assistance.

Nevermind

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook