Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements > Low Carb & Paleo Diet

Notices

Low Carb & Paleo Diet A forum to discuss low carb and Paleo diet easting approaches.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #111
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,377, Level: 97 Points: 26,377, Level: 97 Points: 26,377, Level: 97
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Wife saw this and wants to try it this weekend.
My new favorite chili recipe. I love the smokey hot flavor. I smoked the pork with pecan which mixed well with the chipotle powder.

The chili beans do boost the carbs up a bit, but flavor wise, it is worth it.

Oh I forgot, add a can of tomato paste to thicken it a bit.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #112
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
My new favorite chili recipe. I love the smokey hot flavor. I smoked the pork with pecan which mixed well with the chipotle powder.

The chili beans do boost the carbs up a bit, but flavor wise, it is worth it.

Oh I forgot, add a can of tomato paste to thicken it a bit.
We started using the following seasoning. It might be a nice addition, as it also adds some nice smokiness.

"Grill Mates Fiery 5 Pepper".

Sounds hot but smells smokey.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #113
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,307, Level: 79 Points: 15,307, Level: 79 Points: 15,307, Level: 79
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Good food this weekend, and lots of it.

Friday
3 eggs, 2 strips bacon
6 McDoubles without the bun (lunch on the run)

Taco Bar Extraordinaire:
I made 3 pounds of diced chicken and 4 pounds of shredded beef and 4 avocados worth of guacamole for dinner with friends. Chicken was standard fajita chicken that I usually make, the beef was done like this.

4ish pound shoulder roast
2 cups beef broth
1 can green chili
1 small jar canned jalapenos
cumin, pepper, cayenne, garlic, salt, red chili powder to taste

Combine everything in a slow cooker, cook on low for 12 hours, shred and serve.

These all came together with lots of corn tortillas, lettuce leaves for the low carbers, and lots of shredded cheese, sour cream, and margaritas. Basic margaritas, 3 parts good silver tequila, 1 part Cointreau, 1 part fresh squeezed lime juice. Much fun was had by all.

Saturday
Left over meat for breakfast and lunch

Grilled Salmon, green beans, Mac and Cheese (using dreamfields pasta)

Sunday
3 eggs, 3 sausage links
the rest of the left over beef

1/2 of a smoked chicken and green beans.

Good weekend.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #114
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
6 McDoubles without the bun (lunch on the run)
Usually my road hotel food. I hate ketchup though and never seem to get it all off.

Quote:
Mac and Cheese (using dreamfields pasta)
Interesting. Had to Google. You think this is something that might be kid friendly?

Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #115
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Quote:
Usually my road hotel food. I hate ketchup though and never seem to get it all off.

Interesting. Had to Google. You think this is something that might be kid friendly?
I think the Mac and cheese is pretty kid friendly. The dreamfields pasta is very high quality and better tasting than most of the stuff I used to use before I went low carb. While I can't vouch 100% for the actual number of carbs your body gets from it, I do know that it has very little impact on my blood sugar and insulin levels. A meal with 5g or less carbs causes around a 10 point rise, where as a couple servings of this thrown in causes around a 30 point rise. Standard pasta will cause closer to 60 points for me

Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #116
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
I think the Mac and cheese is pretty kid friendly. The dreamfields pasta is very high quality and better tasting than most of the stuff I used to use before I went low carb. While I can't vouch 100% for the actual number of carbs your body gets from it, I do know that it has very little impact on my blood sugar and insulin levels. A meal with 5g or less carbs causes around a 10 point rise, where as a couple servings of this thrown in causes around a 30 point rise. Standard pasta will cause closer to 60 points for me
I am going to give this a try. It's hard not to have our kids be carb freaks every day. I never expected having kids would mean trying to get them to eat anything but carbs.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #117
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Quote:
I am going to give this a try. It's hard not to have our kids be carb freaks every day. I never expected having kids would mean trying to get them to eat anything but carbs.
Its tough. I've been thinking about kids in the not too distant future and have been paying closer attention to my friends' kids, and I am determined to keep mine away from ketchup and hotdogs as long as possible. As soon as kids get ahold of those, its game over.

Anecdote from my own childhood. My folks were telling my girlfriend about my first halloween. They were excited about getting me dressed up in my kindergarten sized costume all the candy and such. When we got home and poured the candy on the table, I demanded broccoli and butter. I didn't want candy. Weird kid. But damn I still love broccoli.

Food for today
3 eggs, 3 sausage links
1 mini cheese, large handful of almonds

turkey and gouda wrap
Calzone in a low carb tortilla

Taco Salad

About 3.5k calories, which isn't enough to maintain my weight these days. On Saturday Monring after Taco fest, I was 270. Today I was 263...

Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #118
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Its tough. I've been thinking about kids in the not too distant future and have been paying closer attention to my friends' kids, and I am determined to keep mine away from ketchup and hotdogs as long as possible. As soon as kids get ahold of those, its game over.
We have been lucky enough to get them interested in cooking, which makes a world of difference. When we can show them that they can make nearly anything healthy taste amazing, they trust us a lot more.

Adding fats to cooking helps so much. We avoiding any seasoning that was butter/fat related for so many years.

Quote:
I demanded broccoli and butter.
Well that's not something you see every day.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #119
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

FOOD! I've made some pretty good stuff the past couple of nights.
Breakfast and Lunch were the same for both days with
3 eggs, 3 sausage links (this finishes off the sausage finally)
wrap with turkey and gouda and bacon - 8 ounces of turkey or there about

Some cheese and nuts thrown in here and there. Now for the real food.

Tuesday - Chicken Picatta Its my girlfriends favorite thing I cook, so I made it for her for Valentine's Day. She ate a fairly normal amount, which means I ate 3/4 of this... man its good stuff.

4 chicken breasts, cut into small strips
1/4 onion, chopped finely
4 cloves garlic, diced
1 box Dreamfields Penne
1/2 cup cream
1 stick butter
2 tbsp capers
lemon juice
basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt

Melt a few tbsp butter in a pan and begin to saute the chicken. While the chicken begins to cook, bring water to a boil for the pasta and melt another couple tablespoons of butter in a good sauce pan

Add onion and garlic to saucepan and saute until just before the brown

The water should be boiling, so add the pasta

Keep turning the chicken, and before it is dry on the outside add a light coating of the spices above. We want the chicken to be crisp on the outside but still tender and juicy on the inside. This takes some work, but is well worth it.

After onions and garlic are done, add the cream, some of the herbs, and some lemon juice to the sauce pan and mix well with a whisk. You'll need to stir it every 30-45 seconds as it cooks down. The final sauce should be reduced by about 2/3 and be considerably darker. DONT LET IT BURN!

Pasta will get done around now, so drain it, add it back to the pot, cut up the rest of the butter and toss it in with more herbs, garlic powder and lemon juice and some capers

Around this time, the chicken will be drying out and the pan trying to smoke, toss some lemon juice in to keep it from burning and keep turning

If all went well, you should have everything done now. Place pasta in a bowl and top with chicken and sauce. Its a lot of work, but well worth it.

Tonight was much less work: Italian Sausage and Artichoke Casserole
2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
1 onion, chopped
2 14.5 oz cans artichoke heart quarters
1/2 cauliflower, riced
3 carrots, shredded
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp lemon zest
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup shredded parmesan

Original recipe calls for real rice instead of cauli rice, so go easy on the broth

In a large dutch oven, cook sausage and onion on stovetop until sausage is browned, add rest of ingredients and mix well.Let some of the broth boil off, then place in the oven for 30 minutes at 350.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #120
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,377, Level: 97 Points: 26,377, Level: 97 Points: 26,377, Level: 97
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Both of these sound great.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook