Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,109, Level: 77 Points: 14,109, Level: 77 Points: 14,109, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricka182 View Post
So you're saying a full pull-up doesn't require the bar to go below the chin? Just pull until arms hit the sides?

Interesting, I always tried to go above the bar regardless of which direction my palms were facing. I also rarely do palms facing in, and prefer a good wide overhand grip, for both pull-ups and lat pulldowns. Although, on a low-row machine, I prefer a narrow hammer grip bar..
I don't even care about my arms hitting my sides. I'm more worried about fully contracting the muscles in my back. As you pull to the top stick out your chest and squeeze your back hard. As you continue the set you won't be able to go as high, but you'll still be able to stick out your chest and squeeze. These partial reps at the end of your set are just as important and useful as the full reps at the beginning.

I'm also far more worried about a full stretch at the bottom than anything else. Most people are so worried about how many they can do going all the way to the top that they don't go nearly all the way down. As usual, they have it backwards. Let your back stretch completely then go as high as you can until you can only go up a little, squeezing each time.

Do that and the next day you'll realize just how good pull ups hit your outer lats.

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links