Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
On a similar note, someone pissed in a thread last night about eating after lifting, calling it meal timing nonsense.

What point does not eating when you are really hungry serve? It's certainly not optimal for muscle and strength building. I thought it was simply common sense to eat when I was most hungry.

I understand the desire to tip the bodybuilding world on it's end, but hunger is hunger.
Oh my goodness, yes! After a few of my deadlift or squat sessions I can't seem to eat enough to feel normal again. Your body is telling you something when it's THAT hungry.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #12
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,526, Level: 78 Points: 14,526, Level: 78 Points: 14,526, Level: 78
Activity: 55% Activity: 55% Activity: 55%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I try to keep an open mind when it comes to exercise and nutrition. There's so many different theories and facts out there. You only hurt yourself when you refuse to try/learn something new. A lot of my current beliefs go against what I used to know to be true, but as long as the evidence is there to back the claim then I have no issues with admitting I was wrong, or adapting the new theory. If I can't verify the claim to be true, I mostly dig deeper into the subject or write it off after an "investigation".

To me, knowing whether something is right or wrong is not enough; I like to know why for myself, and so I can explain it to others when asked.
Some things I do and believe now about training are polar opposites of what I was doing a few years back. I've always been that way though. I also grew up a christian and am now a steadfast atheist. I believe in always learning and never being afraid to find out new things, even if they go against what I think at the moment.

As for meal timing, that just seems logical to me. My entire diet is based of off it. Intense training makes your body process things differently. That's accepted science, and to toss it aside is to limit your potential IMO.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
Roy1787
Roy1787
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 1,131, Level: 18 Points: 1,131, Level: 18 Points: 1,131, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Roy1787 is off to a bad start

Quote:
No. Careful who's advice you take. You're better served looking things up on your own.
That's why I am here. John Berardi had this to say. I assumed he was a trusted source.

Quote:
While your post-workout feeding should be rich protein and carbohydrate, this meal should be fat free. The consumption of essential fats is one of the most overlooked areas of daily nutritional intake but during the post workout period, eating fat can actually decrease the effectiveness of your post-workout beverage. Since fat slows down transit through the stomach, eating fat during the post workout period may slow the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates and proteins. As your post workout feeding should be designed to promote the most rapid delivery of carbohydrates and protein to your depleted muscles, fats should be avoided during this time.
Roy1787 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
Kuytrider
Kuytrider
is Yosif Zhelyazko Lynch
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Meal timing... Things like this make me want to paint myself green, tear up my clothes and rip someone's head off.
I've had occasions when I've not eaten in 4 hours and I decide to do it even if I am not particularly hungry. This is rare however because my stomach is usually growling several times a day As has been mentioned here, after a hard training session, I'll devour any food that's available in the house!
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #15
Shadowschmadow
Shadowschmadow
aka El Cappy-Tan
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
My Mood: Tired
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy1787 View Post
That's why I am here. John Berardi had this to say. I assumed he was a trusted source.
There are times that I agree with Berardi and there are times that I disagree with him. And this statement of his ignores what I said above; if you eat on a normal basis (3+ meals) then you already are going to be digesting food, which means your body won't be digesting your PWO food until later, so it doesn't really matter.

Fat has benefits PWO as well. I didn't read this whole article but from what I skimmed it looked okay. Racing Weight

In my honest opinion; the whole PWO meal is outrageously overrated. We've already concluded that there's no magic anabolic window, and we've already concluded that digestion of food takes time. From everything I've read on the topic, I've concluded that as long as you eat you're fine. If taking a protein shake PWO makes you feel better, than go for it. All I'm saying is it won't make or break your gains so long as other dietary criteria are met throughout the day.

Instead of looking at PWO being a meal or snack, I believe you should look at it as the next 2-3 days, considering that's when the bulk of your protein synthesis is in effect. And if you workout consistently, then your body is going to require proper nutrition all the time.

So now we can conclude that you should really just eat accordingly (adequate protein and calories) and eat/train regularly. Get a variety of foods (veggies + fruits) and don't fear healthy fats. Do that, and you'll be oh-tay!

Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #16
Shadowschmadow
Shadowschmadow
aka El Cappy-Tan
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
My Mood: Tired
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
I've had occasions when I've not eaten in 4 hours and I decide to do it even if I am not particularly hungry. This is rare however because my stomach is usually growling several times a day As has been mentioned here, after a hard training session, I'll devour any food that's available in the house!
That's what puzzles me... After training, and the following day, I am starving 24/7 and could eat everything in sight. So if you have trouble gorging yourself with food to get jakt then you have problems that I can't help you with.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #17
TitanWIP
TitanWIP
is not TitanCT
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39

My Mood: Brooding
TitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good posts

Meal timing is loosely based on common sense, is it not?
TitanWIP is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #18
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I would consider the things berardi is talking about to be tiny details in the grand scheme of things. Worrying about how quickly your PWO meal will be digested? Wow, talk about majoring in minutia. In the large world of all things strength, I'd place that at approximately # eleventy-billion in order of importance.

It would be a few spots behind not worrying about PWO fat intake because that could stress you out, and stress is bad for you.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #19
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanWIP View Post
Meal timing is loosely based on common sense, is it not?
I actually believe in meal timing. Like I said, it's what my diet is based on. That being said, watch out for "common sense" logic when it comes to diet. Our bodies are extremely complex, which is why some people get paid a lot of money just to know about certain parts of them.

I believe theres merit to the idea that the types and times we eat have an effect on us, but you have to maintain some perspective as far as how important, or not so important, these concepts are.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #20
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I have absolutely no idea, about whether fat would slow down/prevent the absorption of carbs and protein, but I do know that I generally eat peanut butter on toast after workouts and it's never done any harm (and have eaten ice cream PWO as well) also fat is required for the production of testosterone...so, all things considered, to me, it's more a case of eating after a workout not so much about what I eat, though I feel peanut butter on toast isn't a bad option, even though I was informed I wasn't getting as much as I could from my workout because of that choice, whereas, personally, I feel I was doing great; and, that's all the matters.

Share with Facebook