Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
tonpaulerc
tonpaulerc
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 845, Level: 15 Points: 845, Level: 15 Points: 845, Level: 15
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

tonpaulerc is off to a good starttonpaulerc is off to a good starttonpaulerc is off to a good start
Default is it important to count calories?

I do not count calories. Is this important to you in body building? Should I be counting them? I figure as long as I am exercising and lifting I can eat whatever I want basically.
tonpaulerc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

You should at least count them long enough to get a rough idea of your maintenance levels. Otherwise it's just guessing when you try to gain or lose.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonpaulerc View Post
I do not count calories. Is this important to you in body building? Should I be counting them? I figure as long as I am exercising and lifting I can eat whatever I want basically.
Depends on a lot of things; how effective is your training? are you gaining? how often are you lifting? are you actually training hard?

You do need some sort of plan, this may not have to be complicate or involve counting calories but it does need to involve some direction. Either way in my experience more training and more food, beats the hell out of less food and less training.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,658, Level: 76 Points: 13,658, Level: 76 Points: 13,658, Level: 76
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

If you're reaching your goals, don't worry about it. When you need to change things you'll probably need to at least keep a count for a little while. Some people will naturally eat more or less, which will work great for either cutting or bulking, but when that person needs to do that other they probably won't have as much luck.

If I eat what I want then I better be bulking. I can't cut without keeping serious track of what's going in my mouth.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
jwood
jwood
has no status.
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,087, Level: 92 Points: 22,087, Level: 92 Points: 22,087, Level: 92
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
My Mood: Aggressive
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

I am with soldier on this one. I don't think I have counted calories for more than 4 days in my life. My basic diet structure is when I am bulking make sure I eat a lot and watch the scale. If it is not moving up, eat more.

When I want to do a cut, which I have only done once and was extremely successful. Use low carb paleo. I think this is as basic as it can get. Counting calories always just seemed like too much work to me.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
seth78
seth78
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

seth78 is off to a good startseth78 is off to a good startseth78 is off to a good start

I have never counted calories. I have been lifting for about a year now and I have been gaining some muscle over time. I am not really flabby anywhere so I dont see the point.
seth78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #7
Shadowschmadow
Shadowschmadow
aka El Cappy-Tan
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
My Mood: Tired
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth78 View Post
I have never counted calories. I have been lifting for about a year now and I have been gaining some muscle over time. I am not really flabby anywhere so I dont see the point.
Not everyone will have the same experiences as you. The issue here is that you've responded to a thread with your personal experiences, and often times the OP's will take that response as "advice". In my personal situation; if I eat and don't count calories, I will gain fat. So if I took your logic and applied it for myself, your "advice" would back fire.

But, as stated above; it really depends on your genetics, goals and response to what you're doing. IMHO, everyone should count calories for at least 2 weeks. It doesn't have to be goal oriented or anything like that - just count. Counting calories really opens your eyes to a new perspective on food, and I believe it often times helps people make smarter food decisions. When you really know what you're taking in, it has potential to slap you in the face with a harsh realization that you need to make a change.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
Chillen
Chillen
Current Pic/Nov 30th, 2012: Rocken Lean
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
My Mood: Inspired
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

This is real simple and basic:

Some people do very well, learn a lot about their self and are happy counting calories.

Others do very poorly and dislike or are unhappy counting calories.

Both groups need to eat less or more than what there body needs to lose or gain weight.

Therefore, success is about finding what works for you that also controls calories/macros that in the end meets your personal goals.

It's that simple.

Sure, we are all human with the same flesh, but this isn't put together equally or the same, as people are different.

However, thermodynamics apply to everyone.

Like it or not.

When I assist someone, I help them in what ever they choose to do.

However, I do advocate tracking calories, learning about calories and macros, long enough to learn what is "applicable to you". Once this is done, then mentally tracking is that much easier.

Benefits of a Calorie and Weight Training Journal:

Very Briefly:

Some say don't track calories, some say do. Some that don't track calories are in the position of knowledge that they don't have to.

Some are in the same position of knowledge want to eliminate the element of memory failure, track calories, and use the POWER it POSSESSES:

One's diet and fitness history is the teacher of the present. And, if the present condition isn't acceptable, then you look at the previous history, adapt through using the wisdom of the past to bring intelligence to the present.

What ever you decide to do there is NO DOUBT what this information can do for you when its on paper--precisely--what you had been taking in calorie wise.

It is a foundation base that CAN prevent heartache and weight loss/weight gain plateaus......its underestimated IMO, because allot do not USE IT to their personal GOAL ADVANTAGE--properly, and this is TOO BAD.

Within this journal you would have information without a price tag. IMO.

If one is keeping a training journal, this essential journal can tell you many things: Your progress from one work out to the next (on individual exercises), and whether your progress is occurring good, or slowing down.

In addition, if one is keeping a diet journal per day along with the training journal, one can look in the diet journal per day and compare results in the training journal and in effect determine if its something in the diet or training and/or both is slowing progress.

Though its rather brief (as I could list many more benefits), this portion of my post can be the heart and soul of one's success (IMO)

One more important statement:

Use the data from the diet and fitness journals along with appropriate application of knowledge learned to have the tools available to "work with" to allow you to have a foundation to "work from" to make improvements, "when" complications come up during diet and fitness training.

THIS IS SMART.

Best wishes,

Chillen

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
MikeC
MikeC
is hungry again
Uber Brawn
Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Tournaments Won: 1

MikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributor

The more precise your goals the more precise your eating plan needs to be.

It doesn't hurt to count calories at some point to see just what exactly is going into your body. It also helps to learn what is in the foods you are eating. Most of us won't have a problem gaining weight after the age of 22-25 as it is. Just try to avoid undereating. Eat healthy most of the time and listen to your body.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #10
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,658, Level: 76 Points: 13,658, Level: 76 Points: 13,658, Level: 76
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I actually enjoyed counting calories at first. It's knowledge that gives you the power to change. Once you gain an understanding of the nutritional values of those foods you eat most of the time, you become painfully aware of what other people shove down their throats without any clue about what it is. Now that I've tried diets that focus on different macros I also have a good working knowledge of the macro breakdown of most foods.

Some people think it's extreme, the way I eat, but it's so normal to me now that it's not even a second thought, and the results have been extremely impressive. Personally, I think it's more extreme to just throw food in your mouth having no clue what it's doing to your body.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook