Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Improving Your Chin Ups

LIFT-RUN-BANG: Improving Chins

Quote:
* Chins seem to respond a lot like big lifts, in that if you improve your lower rep strength on them, then ability to rep bodyweight gets easier.
* There is nothing wrong with doing a ton of sets of 5 with bodyweight only. I used this tactic a LOT, then would have a heavy chin day every third week or so with great results.
* Throwing in lat pulldowns every so often and giving the chins a break helped as well.
* Using a 5x5 periodization scheme was good for me too. I hit my best (100x3) that way. I just used a calculator and spreadsheet and worked in the numbers over the course of 8 weeks or so and hit a nice PR. And that was at 265 and I gained weight over the course of that period. So the whole "I gained weight and couldn't chin" thing is kinda out. Just keep chinning.
* I never got more out of chinning multiple times a week than once a week. Your mileage may vary but that's how it was for me. I have chinned 3-5 X a week before, and I never noticed anything better from that than chinning once a week.
* On the flip side, my wife improved her chins like crazy by hitting em everyday for months. So again, there is always the other side of the coin.
* My take on the two above scenarios is this. The stronger you are, the more recover you need. Tiff could only do three chins and then worked her way up to doing 10. Obviously I could do more than 3.
* Don't be afraid to use that anti-gravity machine to get reps in.
* No, I don't have that spreadsheet anymore for when I did the 5x5 calculations.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,550, Level: 78 Points: 14,550, Level: 78 Points: 14,550, Level: 78
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

So basically, do everything that would strengthen your back, mostly chin type movements, and you'll get better at doing chins?

Earth shaking.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I agree with the author, just get stronger. Getting lighter helps too. I had my best success with improving my chin-ups by working on low reps with added weight. I started with singles for a couple of months and kept adding weight every week. Then I moved on to doubles and eventually into triples. By the time I was done I'd almost tripled the amount of bodyweight chin-ups I could do, going from 5 to 13 reps.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
Pull14
Pull14
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Couldn't agree more with Paul on this. The chin has to be worked, but to much is detrimental -- if you suck at them (5-10 reps max) doing them 2-3 times a week will help get the numbers up quickly. Past that, once a week is all that is needed with the rest of your back work centered around variations of the rows and/or lat pull downs.

Simple 5x5 variations have worked very well for me. Also Bill Starr outlined a template for weight dips in one of his military press articles which works pretty darn well for the pull up/chin -- if memory serves correct: week 1 - 5x8, week 2 - 5x5 + 1 max rep down set, week 3 - 2x5, 3x3, + 1 max rep down set.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
ricka182
ricka182
is taking small steps.. then GIANT leaps to domination!!!
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Archery 2000 Champion! Fish Eat Fish Champion! Power Driver Champion! Yeti Sports 1 Greece Champion! Penguinoids Champion!
Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
My Mood: Sick
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I agree with the author, just get stronger. Getting lighter helps too. I had my best success with improving my chin-ups by working on low reps with added weight. I started with singles for a couple of months and kept adding weight every week. Then I moved on to doubles and eventually into triples. By the time I was done I'd almost tripled the amount of bodyweight chin-ups I could do, going from 5 to 13 reps.
My problem in bold above. I'm still aways from my BW, but on a pulldown machine, I'm pulling at max, around 240. Not the best form, but I get the damn bar to my chest and back. However on an Asst Pullup machine, I need to have a counter weight of almost 100Lbs, which would mean I'm only Pulling-Up around 180Lbs. Gravity, and fat bellies suck.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricka182 View Post
My problem in bold above. I'm still aways from my BW, but on a pulldown machine, I'm pulling at max, around 240. Not the best form, but I get the damn bar to my chest and back. However on an Asst Pullup machine, I need to have a counter weight of almost 100Lbs, which would mean I'm only Pulling-Up around 180Lbs. Gravity, and fat bellies suck.
Pull downs, assisted pull ups and actual pull ups are for more different animals than you would think. Assisted pull ups put you in a very awkward, unnatural position. I'm not a fan of them, ever.

I don't use pull downs anymore, but I think they are not a bad movement for someone who can't do pull ups. That being said, I don't think it's good to cheat on pull downs and use momentum to get the bar down. I'd much prefer that someone focus on a good stretch at the top, and then learn to squeeze hard at the bottom and stick their chest out hard. People who aren't strong tend to use their arms on pull ups. Not only do they not squeeze their back at the top, they don't even pull their shoulders back at all.

The hope is that the good form and full ROM you develop with pull downs will transfer to pull ups once you start to do them.

Here's an example of the wrong way to do things;

Instead of using his back to pull him up he's used his arms. His shoulders are forward and he's straining to get his chin over the bar. Thrusting your head forward to try and get your chin over the bar has been shown to cause some serious issues with the thoracic spine.

Here's a good in-between version;

This is a good military pull up. His chest is out enough to engage his back while still using his arms as well, and he has to get his chin over the bar for it to count but he isn't having to strain to do it. This still isn't the best version when it comes to developing your back.

Now THIS is how you do it!

This is a back movement. His chest is out and his back is squeezed. He's not trying to get his chin over anything, but it's happening anyways just because of how strong he is. I find that often times I don't even come close to getting my chin over the bar. I just focus on the squeeze in my back and getting a full contraction.

. . .and this is just a gift for everyone, because this chick is cute and ripped.

Last edited by Soldier; 11-07-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
markievicz
markievicz
is a Squataholic
Max Brawn
Points: 12,969, Level: 74 Points: 12,969, Level: 74 Points: 12,969, Level: 74
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
My Mood: Lurking
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

I found that a way to improve my chins was to up the frequency

In addition to having them in my back workout, I do them in between sets of most push movements at BW for a max of 4sets
a session ,

I'm gonna have to start doing weighted soon which should be interesting I guess!
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
bignbuff
bignbuff
has no status.
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1

bignbuff is off to a bad start

I was having a majorly hard time with chin ups. especially wide grip chin ups.
My strategy to improve at the moment is to use the weighted assisted wide grip chin up machine - and lighten the counterweight progressively. It's improving my chin up so far... want to be able to chin up without the counterweight soon though
bignbuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

A much better version of the assisted pull up is to put a bench underneath you and put your feet on it, then just spot yourself. That allows you to be in a much more natural position compared to the assisted pull up machine, which forces you to stay upright in a very innatural position.

Also, use lots of negatives. Jump to get up to the top of the pull up, then lower yourself as slowly as possible. Do sets of 3-5 and you'll be doing real pull ups before you know it.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #10
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Band assisted chin-ups if you need a little extra help.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook