Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
espm1000
espm1000
has no status.
Manlet on Fire
Brawn
Points: 2,382, Level: 29 Points: 2,382, Level: 29 Points: 2,382, Level: 29
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2+
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Barbell Row
My Mood: Inspired
espm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good posts
Default Joe Defranco Modification

So, after much deliberation I've decided to go back to the tried and true upper/lower. Ever since switching from the upper/lower to all of these splits, hit, and other variations of different programs I've hit a brick wall. The only caveat I had with the WS4SB is that it didn't fit MY needs, which is strength and hypertrophy.

I don't care about my vertical jump or pushing sleds, so I modified the program I fell in love with. It's going to be slightly lower volume, but higher frequency. The other caveat is that I've stuffed it with exercises that I'm weak at.

I do have scheduling issues at some times, so I have two distinct lower workouts. Once separates hamstrings and quads and the other combines them for when I have time constraints.

Upper 1 - I used lateral raises for shoulders since Incline will probably hit shoulders quite a bit.

Incline Barbell Bench
Flat DB Bench
DB Row
Seated Cable Row
Lateral Raise
OH Triceps Extension
Seated Bicep Curl

Lower 1 - Quads*
Hack Squat Machine
Lunges
Leg Extensions
Donkey Calf-Raises
Leg Raises
Palloff Press

Upper 2
Decline Bench
CGBP
Pullups
Shoulder Press
Shrugs
Dips
Hammer Curls

Lower 2 - Hamstrings* - Still no SLDL with back :-(
Wide Stance Leg Press
Glute-Ham Raise
Hamstring Curl
Calves
Hyperextensions
Woodchoppers

Leg Press
Glute-Ham Raise
Lunges
Leg Curls
Calves
Leg Raises
Hyperextensions
espm1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Just a few questions and comments.

1) Are you doing the Dorian style one intense all out set at the end? You had mentioned this in the Shout Box:

Quote:
I feel like I just get burnt out on higher volume. I loved the blood and guts. It was a great program that humbled me and put me back in my place.
...so I wanted to see how how working sets were structure for each exercise.

Regarding the program...one of the first things I look for it balance between shoulders, chest and back. Right now you have 4-5 exercises that heavily tax the front shoulders, and only one overhead press-style exercise that hits the medial deltoid extremely hard. Along these lines, the program is also very chest heavy when compared to pressing movements.

Overall the goal here is not just to balance for balance sake, but also to keep the shoulder girdle healthy.

My recommendation would be something like:

Upper A

Incline Barbell Bench
Dips
DB Row
Arnold Press
Shrugs
OH Triceps Extension
Barbell Curls or Chin Ups (Palms facing body)

Upper B

Flat DB Bench
CGBP
Seated Cable Row
Military Press
Pullups
Hammer or Dumbbell Curls
Cable Tricep Extensions

For upper work you have a chest movement, then a semi-chest/tricep movement, then back and shoulders. You also get extra back and trap work in (pull ups and shrugs), and finish out with some light arms. Not perfect, but a little less chest centric.

The leg workouts look pretty good. Not sure how hyperextensions treat your back.

On course, depending on your set and rep structure, my suggestions might be off base

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
espm1000
espm1000
has no status.
Manlet on Fire
Brawn
Points: 2,382, Level: 29 Points: 2,382, Level: 29 Points: 2,382, Level: 29
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2+
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Barbell Row
My Mood: Inspired
espm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good posts

I won't be doing the HIT style on this most likely. I don't have a reliable workout partner, so going to failure has become difficult and I'm usually in the gym when there aren't too many people to spot me.

I appreciate the recommendations and will take them to heart. I need to find a primer on developing workouts.

I just want something well balanced that I'm happy with; A program that can evolve with me that is my own.

You said it isn't perfect, but what would make it perfect in your eyes?

Last edited by espm1000; 11-04-2011 at 10:02 PM.
espm1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by espm1000 View Post
I won't be doing the HIT style on this most likely. I don't have a reliable workout partner, so going to failure has become difficult and I'm usually in the gym when there aren't too many people to spot me.

I appreciate the recommendations and will take them to heart. I need to find a primer on developing workouts.

I just want something well balanced that I'm happy with; A program that can evolve with me that is my own.

You said it isn't perfect, but what would make it perfect in your eyes?
It's hard to make a workout perfect. Just keep in mind that most everything will work if you train hard. that's the important thing. Beyond that, I just want to see a leaning towards better balance first, as shoulder strains and pains can come on quickly.

I listed my suggestion for the upper body about...just a little less direct chest work, another shoulder exercise, and I did some minor reorganization.

When dealing with Upper Lower for bodybuilding/muscle building (and strength) I generally recommend a starting structure like this:

--Press - Movement where you press away from the body
--Pull - Rowing movement
--Overhead Press

Overhead press and flat press can be alternated as to which starts first.

From this point you may add in extra, more mild upper body work as needed...such as dips, pullups, curls...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook