Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Lightbulb Interesting observation (well, kinda)

With all the different forms of weight routines, varing styles, cadences, rep ranges, KB v BB, differing goals, and so forth...

...the most highly contested part of any exercise plan which really riles lots of people up and sometimes to breaking point seems to be the debate between LIT and HIIT (as noted on other forums )

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
Livingitup48
Livingitup48
is feeling sassy.
Brawn
Points: 2,076, Level: 27 Points: 2,076, Level: 27 Points: 2,076, Level: 27
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Livingitup48 is off to a good startLivingitup48 is off to a good startLivingitup48 is off to a good start

Can you explain in a nut shell why this is such a hot topic?
Livingitup48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingitup48 View Post
Can you explain in a nut shell why this is such a hot topic?
No idea...there just seems to be two completely split camps on the subject, many of which tend to ferociously adhere to their point of view without giving any ground to the other form of training. So much so, that I tend to generally avoid threads of that nature, these days.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
With all the different forms of weight routines, varing styles, cadences, rep ranges, KB v BB, differing goals, and so forth...

...the most highly contested part of any exercise plan which really riles lots of people up and sometimes to breaking point seems to be the debate between LIT and HIIT (as noted on other forums )
This subject has become an obsession for some, no offense meant. Personally I feel it's an interesting topic, but I do not feel it's very important for the average gym rat/recreational lifter.

For folks just trying to get healthy, eat better, look better and get in shape I think it is far more important to find a form of cardio they enjoy. Life is too short to obsess.

Precision is great when precision is needed. Just my 2 cents. I have my flame retardant pants on.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
This subject has become an obsession for some, no offense meant. Personally I feel it's an interesting topic, but I do not feel it's very important for the average gym rat/recreational lifter.

For folks just trying to get healthy, eat better, look better and get in shape I think it is far more important to find a form of cardio they enjoy. Life is too short to obsess.

Precision is great when precision is needed. Just my 2 cents. I have my flame retardant pants on.
Yep, I would agree.

There is also a time and an application for each style; illness means LIT variants would suit a person whereas HIIT "zealots" would still be advocating the sick person should do HIIT...no rhyme or reason to that.

I think if you like the style/mix you're doing and it's doing you no harm, then that's perfect and works; and let's be honest, as you mention already, most of us (95%) are only after a bit more fitness anyway making the variant choice even less important, as long as it's done.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Not to take this down a rabbit trail, but I think it's part of a bigger problem in this industry...practices and protocols that are required for advanced bodybuilders and powerlifters to be successful are often placed upon recreational lifters when they aren't needed at all.

Such is the nature of "parroting".

Most people simply need persistence, balance and a wise meal plan more than anything.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Since we are on the subject, it's not uncommon to see novices counting macros and worrying 10 times more about precise nutrition than they do about precise training.

While nutrition is percentaged out, based on BMI, etc., workouts are often randomly assembled as if picking from a buffet, the most effective exercises are often set to the side, and in general the structure is a house of cards.

Everyone seems to know how to count and portion macros and calories for maximum growth, all the while they are still squatting the same weight they were 3 years ago. No offense meant, of course. My point is that the importance of persistence and hard work on the basics is extremely understated.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Since we are on the subject, it's not uncommon to see novices counting macros and worrying 10 times more about precise nutrition than they do about precise training.

While nutrition is percentaged out, based on BMI, etc., workouts are often randomly assembled as if picking from a buffet, the most effective exercises are often set to the side, and in general the structure is a house of cards.

Everyone seems to know how to count and portion macros and calories for maximum growth, all the while they are still squatting the same weight they were 3 years ago. No offense meant, of course. My point is that the importance of persistence and hard work on the basics is extremely understated.
Yep, I agree; when I started with weights, I did nothing more than eat...anything...yet my training was 3 times a week and structured. It worked and worked really well.

Sometimes newcomers are steered that route immediately because another "well-meaning" member of a forum's first question to them is "How's your diet?" and then we see people that are so confused as to how to go about working all the macros out, that they just give up training as well...better to train consistently and worry about diet further down the line or just increase/decrease total food consumed which is easier, at least for a beginner and people that aren't prepping for show.

Go that route if they want, but don't make it the be all and end all because it won't work the muscles, only training can do that.

PS: I still just eat what I want

Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 25,001, Level: 95 Points: 25,001, Level: 95 Points: 25,001, Level: 95
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:

I resemble that remark.

Interesting conversation, hope it will be addressed even more fully in the upcoming Muscle and Brawn publication.

Seeking to be transformed, not conformed!

Become a disciple of the bar. - glwanabe

The Official Get Fit For The King Website

Yasen Miroslav Zavadil
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
austin.j.taylor
austin.j.taylor
does wayyy too many strongman contests
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Quote:

Training and diet philosophy ADD are very common. I believe that its due to information being so available now. Think back 20 years ago, people did more basic routines and diets because of what magazines said. Now most gym rats can log in, find a hot new diet or exercise program, then move onto the next hot thing as soon as its written. Most new lifters start with no base, try to build a skyscraper, fail and cant understand why.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook