Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #11
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The only detrimental dieting period I have experienced over the years was with intermittent fasting, or having no protein/BCAAs for extended periods of time. This is certainly not a condemnation of intermittent fasting. My point is that as long as I was taking in protein on some reasonable schedule I never lost muscle or strength.

I have never counted macronutrient totals but I generally know that for most of my life I was eating around 180 to 210 grams of protein per day. Some days as low as 150, some days as high as 300-350 grams.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I have never counted macronutrient totals but I generally know that for most of my life I was eating around 180 to 210 grams of protein per day. Some days as low as 150, some days as high as 300-350 grams.
Yep, same here. Training is a much, much larger factor in how I perform/look, eating is the easy part.

But then again, I don't look as ripped as some of Lyle McDonald's proponents! So perhaps I'm not one to comment.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The way I look at it is...the more specific the diet goals, the more precision needed.

Protein levels stay pretty much the same regardless of goals (give or take a minimal amount of grams), and fat intake for most bodybuilders is 20-30%, so everything else generally comes down to carb manipulation or cycling.

That's as deep as I care to get. Beyond that I let the bodybuilders take over.

Regarding protein, the lifter's metabolism, weight, etc. have to be considered. If a hardgainer requires 4000 calories per day, limiting him to 150 grams of protein and 20% fat isn't the easiest way for him to gain weight. Carb overkill...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-01-2011 at 10:24 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #14
Violent Volume
Violent Volume
is a pork chop
Brawn
Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Tournaments Won: 1

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts

I eat 3 square and snack in between with whey, meat, cheese, fruit and almonds.
Violent Volume is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #15
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,611, Level: 75 Points: 13,611, Level: 75 Points: 13,611, Level: 75
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Regarding protein, the lifter's metabolism, weight, etc. have to be considered. If a hardgainer requires 4000 calories per day, limiting him to 150 grams of protein and 20% fat isn't the easiest way for him to gain weight. Carb overkill...
Exactly. I've had issues forming a diet plan when working with numbers of macros instead of percentages. You say to yourself "I want to eat 3k cals a day, and I'm supposed to eat 200g of protein, and I read that you need 300g of carbs a day to build muscle." but at some point those numbers have to mesh up and often times one of the macros gets left out.

The balance of the macros is very important within the limitations of the calories you want to take in.
Goals-
Win.

Last edited by Soldier; 11-01-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #16
austin.j.taylor
austin.j.taylor
does wayyy too many strongman contests
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

I get around 200g a day. I dont sweat it because I believe that everything evens out in the end. I dont really believe that the body can only process X grams of protein at a time either. Thats one I hear on a few sites.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #17
mattcho
mattcho
has no status.
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

mattcho is off to a bad start

woah.. thanks for the tips guys... I've only been pretty much intaking 1 scoop of protein shake per day and thought that was enough. I don't eat that much meat for my meals. Now I'm rethinking of intaking more protein... hmm
mattcho is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #18
Shadowschmadow
Shadowschmadow
aka El Cappy-Tan
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
My Mood: Tired
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Worry less about protein and more about calories. Protein doesn't mean a damn thing if you don't have the calories to match it. Make better food choices, eat big, and you'll be covered.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #19
vcjha
vcjha
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 458, Level: 9 Points: 458, Level: 9 Points: 458, Level: 9

vcjha is off to a bad start

There are research articles I can point out, but it's very hard to find them, that state that going above 1 g per lb is not any more benficial. Although most can agree that 1.5 g when cutting is the maximum.
vcjha is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #20
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcho View Post
woah.. thanks for the tips guys... I've only been pretty much intaking 1 scoop of protein shake per day and thought that was enough. I don't eat that much meat for my meals. Now I'm rethinking of intaking more protein... hmm
And don't overlook the fact that peas, beans, bread, nuts and other foods all have some degree of protein in them; many consider meat, eggs and one or two other foods to amount to the total protein that they consume but that isn't the case.

Share with Facebook