Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #331
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Jay,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Regarding 90% weights, I can only speak personally. With what I am doing there is no way I could train beyond 2 weeks @ 90% plus. Usually after 1.5 weeks I am ready for a deload because I feel very much beat down.
Yep. Btb and I have actively planned the loading so we are wrecked by the 2 week mark if not before. Generally 3 weeks works well for the masses, 2 weeks is nice for older and/or beat up lifters and even 1 week is fine for the older lifter. The actual number of weeks is of little concern just as long as you apply the basic idea; a protracted loading period in which you will build up fatigue continuously throughout, followed by a period of active rest.

Any application within those basic guidelines can be applied here. It should be less about comparing what others can/have done and more about what you can/have done.

In regards to cycling exercises, it is just another way of prolonging the need to take a break. If you're training hard enough you will need to break soon. Average training can be carried on for weeks and weeks on end, but average training doesn't get you outstanding results.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #332
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I might do a tester squat workout tonight and break from the program. It's been 14 weeks and I am curious how the singles have impacted my reps at around 80%.

I was stuck at 405 for 5 reps, oh...for about 18 months and it drove me nuts. I tried everything to push past this barrier.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #333
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Sounds good.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #334
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn

Just a quick note my morning sessions. I targeted three exercises but inevitably the third drops off the map. At the same time the Behind the Neck Push Presses are giving me trouble and the Chins are interfering too much with pressing. So I've decided to go fully 'Oly' and doing C&P, C&J, Snatch rounded off with Sit Ups.

I'll probably do:

Day 1: C&P + Snatch
Day 2: C&J + RCS

Something like that anyway. 6 doubles and 3x5 for RCS.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #335
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

14 weeks in and my 480 squats feel really light on my back. It's a world of difference from where I was in August.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #336
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn

Absolutely loving Clean & Press in the mornings the day after Benching.

I'm considering spending the next few months dropping some fat. I'm currently 97kg with definitely some excess weight, more so than I usually carry or have done the past few years. My motivation now is that having seen what I can do in the shirt I know I have the strength to make Elite @ 90kg, it's just a matter of learning the equipment and dropping a few kilo's.

Not sure exactly how I'll do this, more than likely some simple calorie counting. I haven't counted my maintenance for a while but it's considerably higher than it was in the summer. I'll probably start with a baseline this coming week of around 4000 daily and see if that keeps me at the same weight and then adjust from there.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #337
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Good luck Fazc. My 2-a-day workouts officially begin today, and I will be kicking up my fat loss efforts.

I am still not sure what I will be doing for my second workout, but I am pretty sure some of it will be cleans, and some of it good mornings.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #338
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Continued from the Shout Box.

5 heavy singles on one training day is extremely taxing for me. On the other hand one heavy single feels rather mild. I mentioned to Fazc that after my medium day of just one heavy single I don't feel like I need a deload; I don't feel like I have "over-reached."

I forgot to mention that I haven't been dropping for doubles or triples after these singles. Perhaps if I did on my medium day I would feel like I hit that overreaching zone.

Quite frankly I didn't start an HLM to avoid overreaching. I began using it to avoid pushing myself "beyond" for a given day - structure helps fend off injuries for me. Doing extra stupid stuff gets me hurt 9 times out of 10.

I also started HLM as a sort of backoff and re-conditioning phase. I wanted to start moderate and build. I did not do this when I first started this approach and made several mistakes.

Stated better...when I started this program I had no idea what I was doing so some of it was buffet style. I made great gains but made some mistakes. I thought using a HLM would provide a consistent structure, allowing me to increase intensity as needed to reach the overreaching stage.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-14-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #339
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Stated better...when I started this program I had no idea what I was doing so some of it was buffet style. I made great gains but made some mistakes. I thought using a HLM would provide a consistent structure, allowing me to increase intensity as needed to reach the overreaching stage.
Yep, makes perfect sense.

I just want to round this out with how it relates to the basic structure of what we're doing. The basic idea for any kind of weight lifting is to produce a stress on the body and recover in time to be stronger, that never changes. The reason for extended loading periods is that at a certain level of strength individual to the person, a longer more protracted period of loading is required to still produce the same level of stress that the body feels it needs to adapt to. This is because we're more resistant to training unlike when we began.

What we started off doing, and what I'm still doing, is to produce a considerable amount of fatigue within two weeks leading to a week of rest. Fatigue was built up within 2 weeks time, and our exercise selection, frequency and sets/reps determined that we would feel wrecked by the end of the second week.

What you're doing Btb is to instill a light day in the middle of the two loading weeks which is causing a *decrease* in the stress produced and breaks up the fatigue loading somewhat by giving the body a break. This is why you are now able to carry on well into the third week. By manipulating the fatigue build up you determine when exactly a deload is required.

Bottom line I wouldn't worry massively over this, the HLM doesn't provide any more consistent structure than what we started off with but it does slow things down somewhat. You are still overreaching on this schedule but the fatigue build up is built up over a longer span of time and this may mean you have (or perceive) better control over it. If this works better for you then I say by all means go for it and more power to you. I wouldn't worry about straying from the programme, the programme is inevitable since it's grounded in the basic method for gaining strength but your own application of that should be individual.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #340
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I lost focus the last 2 weeks. Life and work got in the way. I need a bit of a re-rack.

Good thoughts Fazc, as always.

Share with Facebook