Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #321
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Besides, you will never hear me say a bad word about Wendler's 5/3/1 workout. I know some top lifters that use it successfully, I know some intermediate lifters that make consistant progress from meet to meet with it, and I increased my squat from 400lb to 450 lb (14" box) in the year that I used it.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #322
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Offroad, you know I love you but I'm not really sure why you've come into this thread. In adopting one approach you have pigeon-holed yourself into this Juggernaut/5/3/1 program, in doing so whatever suggestion I give to you will have to be within the confines of that approach.

This thread is about an open discussion of ideas, not confined to any one approach. I can give you ideas but they won't jive with your approach.

Last edited by Fazc; 01-07-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #323
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Offroad, you know I love you but I'm not really sure why you've come into this thread.. This thread is about an open discussion of ideas, not confined to any one approach.
Sorry. I was on topic but got off track with the flow of the conversation. I will leave this thread alone in the future as i guess my ideas don't jibe well with this thread. Carry on.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #324
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I will leave this thread alone in the future as i guess my ideas don't jibe well with this thread. Carry on.
That's not what I said Offroad.

Feel free to dip in and out but just understand that me, Btb, Tann, Pull etc have a very open approach to training and the exchange of ideas as, in my opinion, it should be. As such there will be talk of all kinds of training approaches but it won't be dominated by any one training routine.

The moment we start down the line of 'oh that makes sense but doesn't jive with my routine', we need to take serious stock of why we're training and how open minded we are. There is nothing wrong with being close minded and loyal to one approach (in some ways that's great!) but that isn't exactly conducive to conversation or learning.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #325
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,516,187, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,187, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,187, Level: 100
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Sorry. I was on topic but got off track with the flow of the conversation. I will leave this thread alone in the future as i guess my ideas don't jibe well with this thread. Carry on.
Please don't. I learn a lot from you and it would be a shame if you decreased activity on this thread and forum.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #326
mab54
mab54
The Imp!
Max Brawn
Points: 7,254, Level: 56 Points: 7,254, Level: 56 Points: 7,254, Level: 56
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Supp: Scivation whey
My Mood: Devilish
mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Please continue to comment in this thread, I really just found and have been reading a little and your comments are full of useful information.
mab54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #327
Beast
Beast
is a proud member of the rugby front row union
Brawn
Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Fav Supp: Red meat
My Mood: Happy
Beast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Sorry Off Road, looks like you're outvoted. I like reading your comments as well, please continue!
Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2012, 01:13 AM   #328
jaymax
jaymax
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

My Mood: Amused
jaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
Sorry Off Road, looks like you're outvoted. I like reading your comments as well, please continue!
Oh man, there goes Off Road yammering on about 5/3/1 and Juggernaut again! I kid of course, Off Road.
jaymax is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2012, 01:18 AM   #329
jaymax
jaymax
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

My Mood: Amused
jaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributor

Hey,
now you beasts are deloading after every 2 weeks so this doesn't exactly apply but I wanted to bring something up for sake of discussion. Do 90% weights burn you out after 3 weeks as Simmons and Zatsiorsky claim? Does switching movement actually get around this or do you still need to have a deload week with lower intensity?

From a little reading it seems to me that WS claims rotating exercises eliminates this issue yet at the same time they do a light day every so many weeks? Hepburn, Ditillo, et all never claimed this to be the case but they didn't advocate going to 100% max singles either. What do we think about the whole thing?
jaymax is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #330
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,516,187, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,187, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,187, Level: 100
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymax View Post
Do 90% weights burn you out after 3 weeks as Simmons and Zatsiorsky claim? Does switching movement actually get around this or do you still need to have a deload week with lower intensity?

From a little reading it seems to me that WS claims rotating exercises eliminates this issue yet at the same time they do a light day every so many weeks? Hepburn, Ditillo, et all never claimed this to be the case but they didn't advocate going to 100% max singles either. What do we think about the whole thing?
From my understanding Hepburn would run the singles program until it beat him down too much and then go back to the "lighter" burden of triples.

Regarding 90% weights, I can only speak personally. With what I am doing there is no way I could train beyond 2 weeks @ 90% plus. Usually after 1.5 weeks I am ready for a deload because I feel very much beat down.

I have been at 90% twice per week since starting this program, with one of the days each week being a more light, but challenging, training day. Usually about 80% of 1RM.

So, after about 3 heavy workouts on a lift in 10-11 training days I feel ready to stop. My CNS might be beat down and/or my body feels like it was run over by a truck.

Westside focuses on only one heavy day per week, thus adding additional rest into the equation. (I use "only" lightly) It appears on the surface to me that using this approach I might (might) be able to train a lift 3 weeks in a row before needing a deload. Perhaps longer, but then the question becomes...is it doing any good after this point? I don't know.

I could see running Westside and structuring exercises in a certain pattern, changing them week to week to incorporate lifts that might not require me to deload. For example, I have a friend that cycles things like sumo good mornings, reverse band sumo deadlifts and sumo zercher squats from pins.

I probably haven't provided much of an answer here, but it does appear to me that if there was an intelligent approach to cycling exercises one could possibly prolong a cycle without stepping into the "overreaching" zone, which is really what we're taking about here I believe. Correct me if I am wrong.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook