Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
embrance
embrance
Fawk It.
Brawn
Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

embrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality posts
Default No time for 3 days per week anymore.

So I am in university now,studying human physiology,strength training,nevromuscular connection and all that stuff that eventually will make me a real trainer.However,it a full time commitment,and I am there from early in the morning till late afternoon.Also in the week we do roughly 16(!) hours of various gymnastics.So as you can see:
1)I dont have the power or endurance to do my full body 3 times per week.
2)I dont have the time.

I have only 2 days that I can use at night to train myself,so I thought the best way is to use a Reeves intermediate routine.This is it:

Day one,Power day:
Work reps up to 7,the add weight to do 5 again etc.
Squat..............3x5
BB row........3x5
BB Bench Press......3x5
BB Overhead Press.....3x5
DB curl........3x5
CGBB................3x5
BB calf raise.....3x5-10
abs

Day two,Hypertrophy day:
Wok up to 12 reps,then add weight etc
Squat..............3x10-12
DB/BB row........3x10-12
BB Press......3x10-12
BB Bench.....3x10-12
DB curl........3x10-12
dips................5x10@BW
BB calf raise.....3x15-20
abs

Day #3:If I have the time,AND these are auxiliary exercises that I like doing,but are not the basis of my workouts.
Walking Lunges 3x5
Dumbbell Row 3x5
Incline BP 3x5
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3x5
This is an extra day,with a workout that lasts roughly 30-40 mins and will do it on Saturdays IF i Have the strength and the will to do so.

Thought?

Last edited by embrance; 10-29-2011 at 12:49 AM.
embrance is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,987, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I think my main suggestion would be to consider separating the pressing movements with the rows. When I do 2 presses I like to allow time for the shoulders and triceps to recover, simply because I tend to lack strength endurance with these muscles.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
Shadowschmadow
Shadowschmadow
aka El Cappy-Tan
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
My Mood: Tired
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I think my main suggestion would be to consider separating the pressing movements with the rows. When I do 2 presses I like to allow time for the shoulders and triceps to recover, simply because I tend to lack strength endurance with these muscles.
Good suggestion. I do the same as well.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
kitarpyar
kitarpyar
is a rank novice now
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Aggressive
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Exactly what I feel. I lift using a simple full-body routine and the pushing and the pulling lifts are always arranged alternatively. Two pulls one after another is not as much of an issue as two push movements right after another. Always felt that I was not doing justice to the second "push" exercise in those cases.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

My issue with your routine is that you seem to think that you'll be working on two different goals on two different days. Having a heavy day and a light day serves a different purpose, it's not a split between strength and hypertrophy. In fact if you really wanted a strength day and a hypertrophy day, I'd be doing singles on the strength day and 5 to 8 reps on the hypertrophy day (shown to be the most effective).

Two day splits give plenty of recovery time between session, so Hvy/Med/Lght gets thrown out. Since you are only going to be working out twice a week, I'd use both days to progress with the same chosen protocol and not split it up the way you did. Look at the writings of McRobert, Christy, Leistner, Wendler, and see what they recommend for two day splits. Both days have heavy work, assistance work, and accessory work.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
kitarpyar
kitarpyar
is a rank novice now
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Aggressive
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member
Thumbs up

^^^ Good points Off Road.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2011, 12:57 AM   #7
embrance
embrance
Fawk It.
Brawn

embrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality posts

I like doing triples,doubles and singles.So your suggestion is to focus on these the first day and the second work on something like a 5RM?Thats a good point,since now I will be able to do 2 heavy days.

But then I will have to change the first days scheme to ramping,as it is way more productive on strength gains especially on low reps as these.

On the second day,I would probably to 5x5 sets across.So I will have some strength endurance as well.

So new routine:
Day one,Power day:
All sets are ramping to a top 3.
Squat..............6x3
BB Bench Press......6x3
BB row........6x3
BB Overhead Press.....6x3
DB curl........3x5(that s direct.From what I know,ramping sets tend to favor multijoint exercises.)
CGBB................5x3
BB calf raise.....3x5-10(same as BD Curl)
abs

Day two,Hypertrophy day:
2-3 warm ups,then 5 sets of 5 reps all same weight.
Squat..............5x5
(Should I add a DL here?Ramping 3x5?)
BB Bench Press......5x5
BB row........5x5
BB Overhead Press.....5x5
DB curl........5x5
dips................5x10@BW
BB calf raise.....3x15-20
abs

Last edited by embrance; 10-29-2011 at 01:04 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

No, that's not what I meant. Here is an example of what I meant...

Day 1:
Squat - 3 sets of 3-5 reps (main strength lift)
S.l.d.l. - 3 sets of 5-8 reps (assistance lift)
Heelraise - 3 sets of 8-12 reps (accessory lift)

Day 2:
Deadlift - 2 sets of 3-5 reps (main strength lift)
Split Squat - 3 sets of 5-8 reps (assistance lift)
Shrugs - 3 sets of 8-12 reps (accessory lift)

The idea is to stop training bodyparts and start training the lifts. The accessory and assistance lifts will give you your balance and symetry. If you are only training two days a week, make them both count for something.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
embrance
embrance
Fawk It.
Brawn

I actually have 2 books of Stuart but the other i dont know.Any info or links where I could read some of their stuff?Maybe I will follow one of McRoberts programs that i Have.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
austin.j.taylor
austin.j.taylor
does wayyy too many strongman contests
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

My biggest advice if you only have two days to workout is to get the most bang for your buck. Dont train muscles, train lifts. The more muscles used during one lift, the less exercises you have to use. I would recommend a push day and a pull day seperated by at least 3 days if possible. Something like this:

Push(Monday):
Bench 5X5
OHP 3X8
Tricep assistance: 3X12-14
Front Squat: 3X3
Heavy AB work

Pull(Thursday):
Squat: 3X5
Power or full clean: 3X3
SLDL or RDL: 3X8
Rear Delt Assistance: 3X12-14
Bicep assistance: 3X12-14

Unless you are a competing bodybuilder, dont worry about hypertrophy until you have a strong base of mass and strength. Developing power is much more beneficial at this point, if you can only train 2 days a week. Use your Saturdays to do some cardio or recovery work. The reason I say that is because its not as important and getting in the muscular work at this point. Remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. There will be time for hypertrophy later in life. Go heavy to maintain and grow what you currently have, use a time later when you have the free time to sculpt it. A smart man once told me that a scuplture starts as a huge rock. You have to knock out chunks before you can make details. I think that lifting is really similar to that.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook