Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
My Mood: Inspired
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member
Default High-Octane Consistency Combatants: Bamazav, Chillen and Wesrman

This is going to be a shared team journal between Bamazav and Chillen.

We are team brothers.

As such we have each others back all the time, in the good times and the bad times; it simply makes no difference.

I am extremely hard on myself, because, to me, this is serious business. My time under the bar has serious family honor and personal purpose. Over the last few years, I have gain extraordinary health and dexerity. As such I have given part of this earned health to my wife's Mother, and will "earn" the physical position to take care of my wife as she deals with her personal medical issues.

In this journal on the first page you can learn about my previous history with diet and exercise: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/gen...tatements.html.

Any questions feel free to ask them.

I will log my training and dietary contents. In future posts, I will outline what my personal goals are, how I am going to reach them, and the approximate time frame I expect to reach them.

Bamazav, post your goals and plans next, buddy..

Lets rock this out, and bust some ass.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-13-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,472,771, Level: 100 Points: 1,472,771, Level: 100 Points: 1,472,771, Level: 100
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Best of luck. ullups:

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
My Mood: Lurking
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,082, Level: 96 Points: 26,082, Level: 96 Points: 26,082, Level: 96
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Default A little about BAMAZAV

I began my journey in October of 2007. I went in to the Doc for the annual finger test and blood work and found everything out of whack. My Cholesterol was disconcerting and I was given the choice of losing weight by the 1st of the year or starting medications. I set about to lose the weight, cutting 35 lbs in 12 weeks. During that time we found other issues that ended up taking over a year to resolve.

I started by reading the TNT Diet book and putting it into action. I owned 2 10lb DB and a stretchy thingy. For about 8 weeks I trained 3 times a week bodyweight + 10lbs, following the Alwyn Cosgrove created routine in the book. My wife and kids purchased an adjustable DB set with a bench for my Christmas present that year and I was off. I trained with Dumbbells only for the better part of the year. I discovered Craigslist in late 2008 and purchased a Power rack, bench with leg extension and bar with 265lbs of plates. I then purchased some used plates bringing my totals up close to 400 lbs of plates. My addiction had begun.

My body weight has fluctuated between 185 and 200 since 2007. I have found I am extremely carb sensitive. If I even look at a starch or sugar I retain water. I have been on a slow cut to get back to 185. As of yesterday I was at 186.6lbs. Close! My current numbers are:

Weight = 186.6
Calf = 15
Thigh = 24
Waist = 35.5 - measured about inch below navel, same place each time
Chest = 39 - measured about inch above nipples, same place each time
Forearm = 11.75
Bicep = 14.5 - cold flexed
Neck = 15

Chest = 10mm
Ab = 17 mm
Thigh = 12 mm

Approximate BF% = 13.7

My official measurement day will be on fridays. I will be tracking all of the above over the course of this next year.

Diet wise. I would say that I eat Natural, not paleo as I do eat an occasional bowl of oats and do use dairy. I will occasionally have some pasta or even a cookie or small piece of cake or pie, but only if I have room in my macros. At the present I am worrying only about my protein intake and total calories. I naturally eat low carb, usually 100g or less per day. If I struggle with any macro it is with getting proper fats. I tend to go to the extremes, either too little or too much. I am currently eating uber low carb during the week, keeping carbs around 50g on non training days with carbs post workout on training days. Saturday and Sundays are carb loading, but not crazy, but if I want pizza I will eat it. I keep my total calories right at 2000. Once I reach my goal of 185, I plan to begin increasing total calories to assist in my desire to build lean muscle mass.

My Supplements are:

Myofusion - upon waking for sure, post work out and if I have not reached goal for the day, right before bed.
Fish Oil
Saw palmetto ( for BPH)
Vitamin D3 and B12
ZMA
Con-Cret
Focus Fast
Animal Flex - will finish this canister and then will probably move to a different joint supp.

I have just begun running 5/3/1. I am using the 5/3/1 BB template that Wendler published HERE. My goal is to increase my 4 major lifts significantly, as I do not believe I can build serious mass unless I am moving serious weight. Over the next year my lifting goals are as follows:

OHP=187
Bench=200
Squats = 300
Deadlifts=350

Using the 5/3/1 protocols I will reach each of these goals on or before October 31, 2012.

I am a husband and father of 4 great kids. Oldest is married, working on her nurse practitioner degree, the boys are both students at the University of Alabama and the baby is a junior in High School. I pastor a Presbyterian Church in Virginia Beach and am a certified personal trainer, focusing on weight loss. I have started a ministry called Fit For the King and am training about 20 folks all of whom are seeking to lose weight. Needless to say, I am busy.

I am looking forward to getting to know my new training partner and the rest of you who will be watching our journey.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
bamazav
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Default 10/24/11 Dog House Training 5/3/1 Cycle 1 Week 3

Shoulders and Biceps

Seated Military Press (Glass Protocol)
10 x 45 wu
5 x 65 wu
5 x 100
3 x 115
6 x 130 AMAP PR

Seated DB Neutral Grip Press
4 x 12 x 35

Side/Rear Later superset
4 x 8 x 10

DB Hammer Curls
3 x 10 x 35

EZ Bar Spider Curls
3 x 8 x 25

NOTES
I have been fighting some left wrist pain lately so I really wrapped the wrists up today. It helped. I worked fairly quickly, completing entire session with warm up in about 45 minutes. Probably would have been quicker, but I had to throw the ball for the dog in between every set.

The Spider curls are intentionally light today, though by the time I got to them my arms were pretty worn out. The wrist did fine with these so I will stick with them for a while. My wrist pain is most noticeable with underhand grips.

Wed is the MAB challenge for me, as many reps of DL with 50% of my 1rm in 10 minutes. My back is already tightening up.

Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
kitarpyar
kitarpyar
is a rank novice now
Max Brawn
Points: 23,636, Level: 94 Points: 23,636, Level: 94 Points: 23,636, Level: 94
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
My Mood: Aggressive
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

... and the journal is off to a good start. Nice work on the presses Bam, especially on the rep-out.
kitarpyar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
bamazav
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
... and the journal is off to a good start. Nice work on the presses Bam, especially on the rep-out.
Thanks Kit. I am very satisfied today. Now getting psyched up to do the MAB challenge Deads on Wednesday, as many at 175 as possible in 10 minutes. Gonna be fun.

Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR

Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Mr.Silverback
Mr.Silverback
East Texas Open 6/14/14
Max Brawn
Points: 12,676, Level: 73 Points: 12,676, Level: 73 Points: 12,676, Level: 73
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
My Mood: Daring
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

Rock on Brothers! This will be a good one!

Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
Chillen
Chillen
Current Pic/Nov 30th, 2012: Rocken Lean
Max Brawn

Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
I began my journey in October of 2007. I went in to the Doc for the annual finger test and blood work and found everything out of whack. My Cholesterol was disconcerting and I was given the choice of losing weight by the 1st of the year or starting medications.
My E-Mail is: dcrews2@kc.rr.com

If you want I also can give you my cell phone number. PM me if you want it.

Its good to read that this was cleared up, bro. We (under the bar) all have a catalyst that leads to our wake up call.

Quote:
I set about to lose the weight, cutting 35 lbs in 12 weeks. During that time we found other issues that ended up taking over a year to resolve.
The head and the heart: This is your "internal team". Never wave the surrender flag "within".

Winners in our world have learned to bring out the best functions of their personal internal team, and make them work in unison with spirit and passion.

You were able to do this, and remember the lessons, and remember them well. They will serve you, and serve you well in the future. You will NEVER read me, telling you good luck with your goals in our log.

LUCK has nothing to do with it.
You worked hard, and deserved to lose the weight you did, congrats my friend.

Quote:
I started by reading the TNT Diet book and putting it into action. I owned 2 10lb DB and a stretchy thingy. For about 8 weeks I trained 3 times a week bodyweight + 10lbs, following the Alwyn Cosgrove created routine in the book. My wife and kids purchased an adjustable DB set with a bench for my Christmas present that year and I was off. I trained with Dumbbells only for the better part of the year.
Some persons whom start out with fitness goals, say tissue loss, think they can not train, when they do not have enough money for a gym membership or do not have any fitness equipment.

They are wrong. The literally walk in their fitness equipment each day they live. And, the house they live in is a fitness equipment factory---if they are creative enough. You got the JOB DONE bro seeing through the eyes of passion, and this always leads to getting things done.

If there's WILL there is a way. And, part of this WILL gets unlocked by removing the cloudiness of the brain by getting educated in the path in which you want to take.

I started out in the same position close to you (which I will relate in a later post), and worked with limited equipment, and bought weights, bars, bench, (made my own pull-up bar) as I moved and progressed.

Quote:
I discovered Craigslist in late 2008 and purchased a Power rack, bench with leg extension and bar with 265lbs of plates. I then purchased some used plates bringing my totals up close to 400 lbs of plates. My addiction had begun.
It sounds like you have everything you need to prosper, brother.

Quote:
My body weight has fluctuated between 185 and 200 since 2007. I have found I am extremely carb sensitive. If I even look at a starch or sugar I retain water. I have been on a slow cut to get back to 185. As of yesterday I was at 186.6lbs.My official measurement day will be on Fridays. I will be tracking all of the above over the course of this next year.
How have you come to the conclusion you are carb-sensitive? I am extremely interested in reading the comments on this. When commenting, stipulate your dietary trend, etc, when commenting.

Just remember, holding a bowl movement (feces in the intestines), urine, and other water retention properties can amount to a 1lb or more, which is not necessarily fat tissue. If you are weighing yourself once per week, do it in the early morning when you first get up, if you have to urinate do it, and makes sure the cloths (if any but under wear), are relatively the same. When talking a pound, do NOT get all wrapped up in it. Far too many variables can make a pound difference.

Why are you fretting on this 1 pound?

Quote:
Diet wise. I would say that I eat Natural, not paleo as I do eat an occasional bowl of oats and do use dairy. I will occasionally have some pasta or even a cookie or small piece of cake or pie, but only if I have room in my macros. At the present I am worrying only about my protein intake and total calories. I naturally eat low carb, usually 100g or less per day. If I struggle with any macro it is with getting proper fats. I tend to go to the extremes, either too little or too much. I am currently eating uber low carb during the week, keeping carbs around 50g on non training days with carbs post workout on training days. Saturday and Sundays are carb loading, but not crazy, but if I want pizza I will eat it. I keep my total calories right at 2000. Once I reach my goal of 185, I plan to begin increasing total calories to assist in my desire to build lean muscle mass.
If grappling within this dietary environment is proving good tissue loss, there is no reason to change. You have a good sense about you, and you are right, Protein and total calories are the most important in a diet to lose tissue, then come carbohydrates, and fats.

Quote:
My Supplements are:

Myofusion - upon waking for sure, post work out and if I have not reached goal for the day, right before bed.
Fish Oil
Saw palmetto ( for BPH)
Vitamin D3 and B12
ZMA
Con-Cret
Focus Fast
Animal Flex - will finish this canister and then will probably move to a different joint supp.

I have just begun running 5/3/1. I am using the 5/3/1 BB template that Wendler published HERE. My goal is to increase my 4 major lifts significantly, as I do not believe I can build serious mass unless I am moving serious weight. Over the next year my lifting goals are as follows:

OHP=187
Bench=200
Squats = 300
Deadlifts=350

Using the 5/3/1 protocols I will reach each of these goals on or before October 31, 2012.
What is Myofusion and Animal Flex? And, what is its purpose? Sound targets in your lifts, bro. Progression is more serious than serious weight, my brother.

Quote:
I am a husband and father of 4 great kids. Oldest is married, working on her nurse practitioner degree, the boys are both students at the University of Alabama and the baby is a junior in High School. I pastor a Presbyterian Church in Virginia Beach and am a certified personal trainer, focusing on weight loss. I have started a ministry called Fit For the King and am training about 20 folks all of whom are seeking to lose weight. Needless to say, I am busy.

Been married 27 years and have two kids myself. Was a police officer for about 12 years, before being asked to change careers, by my wife, when I got seriously hurt in arresting a combatant in a bar fight. I got hurt one too many times and my wife couldn't handle it anymore (if you want I can explain this, I received the Police Accommodation Medal at the time). Have two children 23 and 26 years old. Currently, I am the General Manager for a major hotel chain, supervise 20 employees for a multimillion dollar business.

Much respect your way, bro!

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 10-24-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
Chillen
Chillen
Current Pic/Nov 30th, 2012: Rocken Lean
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Shoulders and Biceps

Seated Military Press (Glass Protocol)
10 x 45 wu
5 x 65 wu
5 x 100
3 x 115
6 x 130 AMAP PR

Seated DB Neutral Grip Press
4 x 12 x 35

Side/Rear Later superset
4 x 8 x 10

DB Hammer Curls
3 x 10 x 35

EZ Bar Spider Curls
3 x 8 x 25

NOTES
I have been fighting some left wrist pain lately so I really wrapped the wrists up today. It helped. I worked fairly quickly, completing entire session with warm up in about 45 minutes. Probably would have been quicker, but I had to throw the ball for the dog in between every set.
How long with the wrist pain, and when did this surface? Where is the pain concentration?

My training, dieting, personal information forth coming, my friend.

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Share with Facebook