Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
Mr.Silverback
Mr.Silverback
focused on Nationals
Max Brawn
Points: 12,907, Level: 74 Points: 12,907, Level: 74 Points: 12,907, Level: 74
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
My Mood: Daring
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member
Default Bigger Stronger Faster...

I know we all have seen it or atleast most have seen it...if not you should, it's really good. Now, I am watching it again and it has a another meaning to me. I don't view AAS the same (not condoning usage) but the more you learn the more you understand. What are your thoughts about the message of the documentary? Did it change after you viewed it several times over?
Mr.Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
jslep
jslep
wants to be BTB when he grows up
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

2D Knock-Out Champion! Lost for Words - Football Teams Champion!
Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
My Mood: Devilish
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Where are the bodies????

The biggest thing i took from it is there are no long term studies period to prove the side effects of steroids to be so horrific. Some people will point out some famous athlete's who have complications later and say it was from the usage. Well most of the time that same athlete was addicted to cocaine or pain killers or a number of other illegal drugs. Why would they blame the steroids and not the others?

What i would like to say to people is i view steroids like i view alcohol.....used in moderation they simply aren't that harmful. Used in excess to the point of abuse then i would say i can see the problem. But with anything you could have this. If you eat out to much you could put your cholesterol and blood pressure through the roof. Throw in some soda and twinkie issues and you can make yourself into a obese diabetic who ends up with a laundry list of ailments which shorten the life span and can lead to limb loss. That don't sound cool. The government hasn't outlawed tobacco, alcohol and fatty foods. If we as a society are so worried about the death of our loved ones then how could anyone honestly say we shouldn't make tobacco illegal.

Two things honestly stick out in my mind as to why we had to make steroids illegal.

1. Sports like baseball and football that have long legacies in this country that many people don't want to see tainted.

2. Most people who make it to a point in government to make such laws are not the type of person who would better themselves with the use of AAS. I think most see someone who would take AAS as a bully, maybe even like a bully that pushed them around at one point. How much time and thought would you put into getting back at the bullies. An awful lot if you are in our government i think they have proved that.

Last edited by jslep; 10-21-2011 at 08:23 PM.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
Abaddon
Abaddon
is scrutinising your form
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

I think the creator of that documentary had an agenda. He states (to paraphrase) that for most of his life he'd wanted to be ripped and built like his hero, Arnold (and others), but he seems to want to place his lack of success in bodybuilding squarely on the shoulders of AAS, because he doesn't use it.

The guy had some nice mass, but there were some weak points in his training and his diet was, well, pretty ordinary.

If he'd really, truly wanted to be a natty BBer, he could have dialled in his diet and gotten more clinical with his training, and entered a natty BB comp. I don't think he got this far.

Now I'm normally the first person to get pissy about roid use. But blaming steroids for everything is defeatist.

It's been a few years since I saw this doco too, so correct me if I'm wrong.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
jslep
jslep
wants to be BTB when he grows up
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

2D Knock-Out Champion! Lost for Words - Football Teams Champion!
Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

I can totally respect the point of view that he may have had an agenda but what about the facts that he raises as his arguement?

Many many people die from using many different types of legal drugs, alcohol and tobacco being the major 2. The ONLY reason they remain legal in the US is so they can make money from taxation. If enough people do it then its ok? They wouldn't make enough money from people taking AAS so its easy to make it illegal.

Last edited by jslep; 10-21-2011 at 08:35 PM.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100 Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100 Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I learned a lot from the documentary. I learned that the anti-hype was strong. This certainly doesn't diminish abuse, which definitely DOES occur, but it did help me to understand that a lot of what we believe about AAS is a myth.

Just like fitness, nutrition, and many other things that are "public knowledge", we have to intelligently approach these issues and not believe what is spoon fed to us.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
Abaddon
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

I'm going to watch it again today, with a fresh perspective.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS

Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Steroid use is like boob jobs. If you want it, go for it. Just don't go claiming it's "all natural." It's far, far, far from it.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #8
Abaddon
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Valentino is still a complete moron.
I wonder why the creator didn't explain that it's not muscle in his arms?

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS

Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
MikeC
MikeC
is hungry again
Uber Brawn
Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Tournaments Won: 1

MikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Valentino is still a complete moron.
I wonder why the creator didn't explain that it's not muscle in his arms?
I have always wondered that myself.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
Mr.Silverback
Mr.Silverback
focused on Nationals
Max Brawn
Points: 12,907, Level: 74 Points: 12,907, Level: 74 Points: 12,907, Level: 74
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
My Mood: Daring
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

very interesting perspectives from everyone and yes, I also wonder why Chris Bell didn't explain the synthol in Valentino's arms. My only guess is that with all the information that is avaialable, he didn't want to bore anyone so he condensed it. Personally, I have no quarrel with anyone that uses because it is a personal choice, you accept whatever consequences that arise from them. However, I do believe that like anything in the world there will be overuse/abusive behavior. It's just a common fact that there will be that ONE idiot who will take it over board and make a case for the ill-informed masses.

My belief is this: I learned this at my first strongman show and training/talking with some good buddies. At local levels there may be a couple guys on the juice, at regional level it's about half and half, and at national levels then you better believe they are using. Educate yourself and accept the FULL responsibility should you decide to use AAS.
Mr.Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook