Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Default Squats - knee/hip break

I was doing some wandering around the internet earlier and came across a piece which suggested that with the two styles of lifting, namely Powerlifting and Olympic lifting, that the squat is initiated in a slightly different manner.

Powerlifting Squat: breaks at the hips first

Olympic squat: breaks at the knee first

Mainly, it was suggested it is because it permits the body to remain more upright with the Oly squat, which in effect is only an assistance move for the clean and jerk and the snatch anyway, unlike the squat that a powerlifter uses which is mainly for shifting as much weight as possible in 1 rep.

Not sure if that is of interest to anyone but for those looking to incorporate some Oly lifts, it may help.

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,579, Level: 100 Points: 36,579, Level: 100 Points: 36,579, Level: 100

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I'd also note that stance width and bar position also make a difference to this.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
I'd also note that stance width and bar position also make a difference to this.

LtL
Yep

Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Front squats hit my Osgood Schlatter more because of the knee pressure. I hate them because of this.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
Pull14
Pull14
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

The thing that distinguishes the olympic squat from the powerlifting squat has more to do with higher bar position and a narrower stance as pointed out by Ltl and of course torso is held more upright and knees are allowed to move forward to a much greater extent. Besides bar placement however, what the lift looks like will vary with each lifter (as is the case with powerlifting).

Breaking at the hips is necessary in the powerlifting squat because of the big emphasis put on sitting back. For the olympic squat, where the lifter actually breaks is trival as long as the torso is kept relative upright (body type will determine how upright, upright is). You'll see just as many guys break at the knees as those who break at the hips first or break at both the hips and knees at the same time. The ultimate goal is to keep the hips as close to the heels as possible as this ensures an upright torso.

From what I've seen, those with longer legs and a shorter torso tend to break at the hips first or break at both hips and knees at the same time. Breaking at the hips with the oly squat also is usually means just a short push back of the hips before going down. Those with a longer torsos tend to be at the other end of the spectrum - knees first OR knees/hips at the same time. My observations/experience anyway.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook