Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:47 AM   #1
abett07
abett07
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts
Default The overhead press

while workoing out at the gym today performing the standing overhead press I just realised that I have never seen anyone else perform this exercise .Just about everyone uses dumbells to perform a seated press.

is the standing overhead press underutilised or is made some what redundant by bencn exercises that hit the front delts hard ?
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2011, 04:51 AM   #2
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,543, Level: 100 Points: 36,543, Level: 100 Points: 36,543, Level: 100
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Standing OHP allows you to move more weight even if you are strict and use no leg drive. For me a mixture of both is a recipe for win.

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
Abaddon
Abaddon
is scrutinising your form
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
My Mood: Devilish
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

^this

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2011, 06:04 AM   #4
Kuytrider
Kuytrider
is Yosif Zhelyazko Lynch
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Standing OHP allows you to move more weight even if you are strict and use no leg drive. For me a mixture of both is a recipe for win.

LtL
I am a big dirty cheat and use leg drive sometimes I only do it when necessary however.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
Shadowschmadow
Shadowschmadow
aka El Cappy-Tan
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
My Mood: Tired
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
I am a big dirty cheat and use leg drive sometimes I only do it when necessary however.
Using leg drive can and should be used by anyone who does strict OHP. It helps keep you from becoming stagnant, and allows your upper body to work with weights that you generally wouldn't be able to press, or hit extra reps. Working with higher weights, and hitting higher reps on your normal worksets can do wonders for your strict OHP.

I'm not recommending you only do push press by any means, but you'd most certainly benefit from adding a couple extra reps in your sets by pushing beyond your capabilities. And I would also recommend using push press to finish out a set that you might be struggling with. However, don't look at PP as an easy way out because you don't wanna work.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Pressing is like pissing. You can do it either standing or sitting. - Wendler

The press is a “better” exercise than the bench press; the range of motion is greater, there is greater work for a larger number of muscles with a concomitant increase in the level of intensity, and one has to exert more energy balancing oneself and the barbell during its execution. - Leistner

Anyone who has been training with bench, ...back supported overhead presses (or machine presses), leg presses and trap bar deads ... should devote serious attention to training his lower back before he tackles standing presses. Such a lifter may have fairly strong shoulders and triceps, and may THINK that he can go out and start doing standing presses with BIG weights. He can’t. His lower back will not be anywhere strong enough and well conditioned for serious work on the standing press. - Kubik
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Personally, I've never done seated OHPs; no particular reason, just haven't.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
Abaddon
Abaddon
is scrutinising your form
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
My Mood: Devilish
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Anyone who has been training with bench, ...back supported overhead presses (or machine presses), leg presses and trap bar deads ... should devote serious attention to training his lower back before he tackles standing presses. Such a lifter may have fairly strong shoulders and triceps, and may THINK that he can go out and start doing standing presses with BIG weights. He can’t. His lower back will not be anywhere strong enough and well conditioned for serious work on the standing press. - Kubik
Great collection of quotes Off Road, but I must disagree with Kubik here. I fail to see the connection between trap bar deads and an undeveloped lower back. I can testify to the contrary.
And my standing OHP is pretty decent too.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100 Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100 Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post

is the standing overhead press underutilised or is made some what redundant by bencn exercises that hit the front delts hard ?
Definitely not redundant. In fact, quite the opposite. Most modern programming is bench press heavy and lite on overhead pressing and heavy back work. It is not unusual to see someone do 3 bench press variations, but to rely on Smith/hammer overhead presses and lat pull downs for their back work.

Programming wasn't always like this. It's one of the evils that has resulted from the over-focus on chest. The idea of more is better has squashed the common sense need for balance.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-11-2011 at 08:17 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #10
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Great collection of quotes Off Road, but I must disagree with Kubik here. I fail to see the connection between trap bar deads and an undeveloped lower back. I can testify to the contrary.
And my standing OHP is pretty decent too.
That's the funny thing about the Trap Bar; because of the way it's built, it allows the lifter to use a lot of low-back or very little low-back. Because the bar does not ride on the front of your legs, it is possible to retain a very upright posture and not recruit the low-back as much. Much will depend on what form you use when executing the lift.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook